How to convert TM in txt to tmx file?
Thread poster: Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
Jan 27, 2013

I have received a translation memory in txt format, but in order to use it in SDL Trados 2011 I need to import it as a tmx file. I used to be able to convert this using the workbench in the older version of Trados, but 2011 does not have this option anymore. (?)

If I try to find in the quagmire that is the help database on the SDL website I get loads of hits, but no information as to how to do it. Talking of rubbish in, rubbish out!

I have a SDL support contract, but th
... See more
I have received a translation memory in txt format, but in order to use it in SDL Trados 2011 I need to import it as a tmx file. I used to be able to convert this using the workbench in the older version of Trados, but 2011 does not have this option anymore. (?)

If I try to find in the quagmire that is the help database on the SDL website I get loads of hits, but no information as to how to do it. Talking of rubbish in, rubbish out!

I have a SDL support contract, but they don't work on a Sunday.

Anyone any ideas as to how to convert this txt file?
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:35
English to French
+ ...
Trados 2007 Jan 27, 2013

Hi,

You need to import it under Trados 2007 and then export as TMX. If you haven't got Trados 2007, send me the file and I'll fix it for you.

You can also import txt files into other CAT tools (for instance, DéjàVuX2).

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-27 16:58 GMT]

Harmen Rijks
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
No 2007 Jan 27, 2013

Hi Bernard,

I know I can do that in 2007, but the problem is that I only have 2011 on my laptop.

My desktop machine with 2007/2009/2011 on it has crashed and will take too long to sort out for the translation to be done.

I'm in the process of downloading hundreds of megabytes to reinstall the whole shebang on my laptop, but was hoping there would be a workaround.

It seems rather a big overkill to have to go through the whole download/set up aga
... See more
Hi Bernard,

I know I can do that in 2007, but the problem is that I only have 2011 on my laptop.

My desktop machine with 2007/2009/2011 on it has crashed and will take too long to sort out for the translation to be done.

I'm in the process of downloading hundreds of megabytes to reinstall the whole shebang on my laptop, but was hoping there would be a workaround.

It seems rather a big overkill to have to go through the whole download/set up again. I beats me why SDL could not add this functionality to 2011......

Harmen
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Workaround Jan 27, 2013

The only workaround I can think of is to use DéjàVuX2. I agree ironically enough the competition supports txt files but not Trados!

I can give a try with DéjàVuX2 if you haven't got it. You can also download a 30-day trial version.

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-27 17:18 GMT]

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:35
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
ApSIC Xbench Jan 27, 2013

ApSIC Xbench 2.9 is a free utility that you can use to convert your exported txt Trados 2007 translation memory to a tmx file. You import your txt memory file into ApSIC Xbench and then you can export a tmx file right away.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
no need for dvx Jan 27, 2013

Studio does support txt files (to an extent). They can be imported via the "upgrade" feature. See here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/162188-importing_txt_tm_into_trados_studio_2009.html

Harmen Rijks
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
APsic xBench Jan 27, 2013

Hi Andrey,

Thanks, it worked a treat!

Quick and easy to boot.

Regards

Harmen

Harmen Rijks
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrade works as well Jan 27, 2013

Hi Andras,

The upgrade TM option works as well. Spoiled for choice now!

Thanks

Harmen

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Stick to upgrade Jan 27, 2013

HarmenR wrote:

Hi Andras,

The upgrade TM option works as well. Spoiled for choice now!

Thanks

Harmen

I would definitely stick to this solution if I were you. If you go through Xbench, you lose all metadata, i.e. all information on who added which TU to the TM and when. I'm not sure if txt exports support text fields (which can contain things like the name of the original file or project), but if they do, those will also be lost during the xbench roundtrip.
Needless to say, such metadata can be vital; e.g. if one of the translators who contributed to the TM was a complete idiot, having the metadata allows you to filter out their TUs, or just generally see where everything comes from.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try the product Help... useful too if you look Jan 27, 2013

HarmenR wrote:

Hi,

Maybe also worth trying the product help as well. If I type txt into the search the very first result tells you how to do this.

Regards

Paul

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it possible to do it in batches? Oct 23, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:

Studio does support txt files (to an extent). They can be imported via the "upgrade" feature. See here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/162188-importing_txt_tm_into_trados_studio_2009.html

Is it possible to convert batches of TXT files? I have to convert 200 txt files and, when I use the wizard, Studio asks to confirm the location of the temporary TMW file for every single TXT file. Clicking OK 200 times should not be necessary, I think.

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert TM in txt to tmx file?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »