Searching tag content in SDL Trados Studio 2011
Thread poster: Balthasar Ltd
Balthasar Ltd
Balthasar Ltd
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:06
Apr 4, 2013

Hello

I wonder if you could help me with a query on searching and verifying in SDL Trados Studio 2011.

I would like to find a way to search the tag content in files in Trados Studio 2011.

I know that this option was available in Trados 2007 but I haven’t managed to find any information about it for Trados Studio 2011.

I would like to be able to search for the “target.id” within the file or specific tag content, such as the element, attri
... See more
Hello

I wonder if you could help me with a query on searching and verifying in SDL Trados Studio 2011.

I would like to find a way to search the tag content in files in Trados Studio 2011.

I know that this option was available in Trados 2007 but I haven’t managed to find any information about it for Trados Studio 2011.

I would like to be able to search for the “target.id” within the file or specific tag content, such as the element, attribute or value.

Is there a way of doing this in Trados Studio 2011 at the moment?

If not, is there an app that can be downloaded from the OpenExchange for this?

Any information and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Kindest regards

Nikki
Collapse

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:06
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same question here. Mar 5, 2015

Anyone?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
English
You might have some success... Mar 6, 2015

... with the SDLXLIFF Toolkit from the OpenExchange, but only for search. The replace here has been disabled for the time being until the developer can make this more reliable. The problem being that it was too easy to "break" things by allowing any tag replacement and early tests proved this often meant the target files could no longer be created.

Why do you want to search/replace tags? Perhaps there's a way around your problem.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Michael Mangelsdorf
Michael Mangelsdorf  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search in tags May 6, 2015

For my current project, I am also missing the functionality to search inside tags. In particular for large projects, the translation units i.e. the source text may be compiled from a database (web page, CMS oder other enterprise document management system) by a machine. In my case, the tags contain information ("CommentForTranslators") on where to look up the relevant terminology for a particular translation unit.
With large corporations, it is often not a valid answer to suggest systemic
... See more
For my current project, I am also missing the functionality to search inside tags. In particular for large projects, the translation units i.e. the source text may be compiled from a database (web page, CMS oder other enterprise document management system) by a machine. In my case, the tags contain information ("CommentForTranslators") on where to look up the relevant terminology for a particular translation unit.
With large corporations, it is often not a valid answer to suggest systemic changes in procedure as a service provider. A much better way would be to implement a search-in-tag function, basically a checkbox "Search in tags" for the search/replace dialog.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Is it really the search... May 6, 2015

... you want or do you wish to be able to just see the comments?

If the source file is XML then the best way to do this is via a stylesheet so you can create a preview to show whatever you like. See this article for more info on how to do that... it's not too hard.

If it's TTX then
... See more
... you want or do you wish to be able to just see the comments?

If the source file is XML then the best way to do this is via a stylesheet so you can create a preview to show whatever you like. See this article for more info on how to do that... it's not too hard.

If it's TTX then it's trickier in 2011. Studio 2014 has a pretty good TTX preview which shows you this stuff in the same way TagEditor would. But in 2011 you may have to try displaying "All Content" instead of "All Segments" as this can show you the tags and their content between the translatable content.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching tag content in SDL Trados Studio 2011

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »