Excluding specific FM marker text from translation?
Thread poster: Anne_B (X)
Anne_B (X)
Anne_B (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:55
English to German
Jun 25, 2013

Hi all,

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011 to translate FrameMaker 10 files. The source files contain a variety of different markers (pre-defined or custom markers). Some of these markers contain translatable text (such as index markers), while others don't (for example, cross-reference markers).

I am hoping to find a way to exclude markers that contain non-translatable text from translation. SDL Trados Studio 2011 has a "Styles" option in the Project File Type Setting
... See more
Hi all,

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011 to translate FrameMaker 10 files. The source files contain a variety of different markers (pre-defined or custom markers). Some of these markers contain translatable text (such as index markers), while others don't (for example, cross-reference markers).

I am hoping to find a way to exclude markers that contain non-translatable text from translation. SDL Trados Studio 2011 has a "Styles" option in the Project File Type Settings (for Adobe MIF files), and I guess this is where I can exclude particular styles from translation. However, I have no idea how to define the styles, or whether this feature is actually doing what I think it does.

The Online Help is anything but helpful - far too generic and not enough information - therefore I'm writing this post in the hope that someone more experienced can help me out here. I'd be grateful for any tips on how to exclude specific marker text from translation.

Many thanks in advance,
Anne
Collapse

ThatSteve (X)
ThatSteve (X)
Belgium
Solution? Mar 7, 2014

Hi Anne,

I have the same question, Since there's no reply on the thread, I was wondering if you've found a solution already?

If so, could you please tell me?

Thank you!
Steve

Anne_B (X)
Anne_B (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:55
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
No solution yet, unfortunately Mar 17, 2014

Hi Steve,

No, unfortunately I haven't found a way yet. That said, I haven't really had the time to further investigate.

I'll let you know (via posting here) if I can find anything that resolves this issue.

Regards,
Anne

icylave
icylave  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:55
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Any one has a solution for it? Apr 16, 2014

I have the same demand.

Does any one know how to do that?

SDL support, where are you?

ThatSteve wrote:

Hi Anne,

I have the same question, Since there's no reply on the thread, I was wondering if you've found a solution already?

If so, could you please tell me?

Thank you!
Steve

tatianalissow
tatianalissow
Canada
Were you able to figure this out? May 9, 2014

Hello,

Has anyone been able to find an answer for this?

Thanks!

Tatiana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excluding specific FM marker text from translation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »