Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13]
Studio 2014
Thread poster: Bernard Lieber
djcrawford
djcrawford
Local time: 03:37
German to English
I can't add items to termbase Mar 6, 2014

When I try to add a term to a termbase (in Studio 2014), the Multiterm window slides into place on the left, and then nothing. This worked until a few weeks ago.

Can anyone please help me to get this working again?

James

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:37
English
KB article #5060 Mar 7, 2014

djcrawford wrote:

When I try to add a term to a termbase (in Studio 2014), the Multiterm window slides into place on the left, and then nothing. This worked until a few weeks ago.

Can anyone please help me to get this working again?

James

Hi James

Please see:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/265187-resolve_multiterm_studio_2011_2014_add_edit_term_issues_and_run_it_successfully_with_java_7_up_51.html

Kind regards
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with SDL products? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P

heinzludwig
heinzludwig
Germany
English to German
False error message: (40007) Error reading TTX file: Expected end of tag 'Raw' Mar 15, 2014

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but I'm getting this error quite often when processing ttx files
The following error occurs when saving the target file back to ttx.
(40007) Error reading TTX file: Expected end of tag 'Raw'

I've tried reprocessing the original ttx with the TM, and copy/pasting the last line from another ttx in notepad into the corrupted file.
No dice

I'll try Studio 2011 now to see if that works.

In the end I discovered the problem was caused by a comment in the source Word file, which caused problems with Studio 2014/2011 and TagEditor when converting back to Word.
I deleted the comment and managed to get a working target Word file.

[Edited at 2014-02-18 09:45 GMT]

I have spent a few hours yesterday and today exploring that error message from Tageditor 8, because I want to use Studio 2014 for translating ttx files. After translating a short TTX file in Studio 2014 - import of HTML ini file unsuccessful, don't know why - and saving back to ttx, Tageditor refuses to load the file giving this error message.

Browsed the SDL knowledge base and google results for this error. No solution in sight. Tried the automatic unpairing option to no avail.

Now the surprising thing is that not the "missing" (not true) tag is the cause for this error, but missing DF tags a couple of HTML tags before that. I could discover this by loading the XML file into Tageditor and the error message given included line and column number of the error position. After inserting the missing (true) tag before the tag using a simple text editor both the XML and the TTX file loaded without any problem.

Useless to say that tag verification in Studio 2014 did not give any error, of course, othewise this could have been solved within Studio. (Or maybe not, who knows).
Thanks for keeping us busy, SDL.

Alma Flores Fernandez
Alma Flores Fernandez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:37
English to Spanish
Auto-propagation Jun 4, 2014

Anyone having problems with auto-propagation? I have a huge revision project at hand, and nothing I approve is auto-propagated (tons of repetitions). Auto-propagation only "activates" when I make a correction.

Stefan Ladstätter-Thaa
Stefan Ladstätter-Thaa
English to German
+ ...
Auto-Propagation Jun 12, 2014

I have also noticed that auto-propagation doesn't work the same in 2014 as in 2011. Any settings that I've missed?

Also, is there any news on the "Click to Run" problem with Office 2013 previews?

Lingrus
Lingrus
German to Russian
+ ...
Lots of crashes when editing the source text Aug 23, 2014

I have a lot of trouble with Studio 2014 SP1 Professional, build 11.1.4085.0, under Windows 7

The editing of the source text is a complete mess.
It was much more convenient in 2011
1) you could just click on the segment you wanted to edit. Now the segment must be activated first.
2) in 2011 the cursor just went were you clicked. Now it always jumps to the beginning of the segment
1) + 2) means several additional clicks compared to 2011 - annoying.
... See more
I have a lot of trouble with Studio 2014 SP1 Professional, build 11.1.4085.0, under Windows 7

The editing of the source text is a complete mess.
It was much more convenient in 2011
1) you could just click on the segment you wanted to edit. Now the segment must be activated first.
2) in 2011 the cursor just went were you clicked. Now it always jumps to the beginning of the segment
1) + 2) means several additional clicks compared to 2011 - annoying.

But the worst thing is, that Studio 2014 crashes frequently when I use this function (editing of the source text) to "merge" segments (i.e. to copy the parts of sentences together, which were torn apart by the default segmentation (due to poor formatting of the source text).

Since this is a feature I really need quite often, I prefer working in Studio 2011 (which is still installed) - no problems there whatsoever (with the same projects opened in 2011 instead of 2014, where they crash permanently).

And one more thing:
When I "merge" segments as described above, there are always empty segments left (source and target empty).
In Studio 2011 you just handle the empty segments like segments with text. That's pretty convenient. In Studio 2014 there is always an error message popping up when I try to confirm an empty segment. Also annoying and completely superfluous.

[Edited at 2014-08-23 13:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-23 14:36 GMT]
Collapse

Dr. Lausberg de Morales
Dr. Lausberg de Morales  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 20:37
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Trados STudio 2014 = a nightmare Sep 6, 2014

I used this software for about 2 months and it worked fine, then it suddenly did not allow me any more to save files, then I could not create new projects, now it crashes every time I try to create a project. Why does SDL release a software that is not functional? Why don´t they test it thoroughly before releasing it? My experience with this provider: Wait until a new version has been at least 2 years on the marked and download it not earlier than about SP3. They misuse us to test their bugs. W... See more
I used this software for about 2 months and it worked fine, then it suddenly did not allow me any more to save files, then I could not create new projects, now it crashes every time I try to create a project. Why does SDL release a software that is not functional? Why don´t they test it thoroughly before releasing it? My experience with this provider: Wait until a new version has been at least 2 years on the marked and download it not earlier than about SP3. They misuse us to test their bugs. What a terribly bad investment. I will turn back to 2011.Collapse

Konat
Konat
English to Polish
+ ...
Studio 2014 freezes Sep 16, 2014

My Studio 2014, which I bought over a year ago, still freezes (the app can only be killed) when joining/editing segments. Has anyone encountered and solved this annoying bug?

Konat
Konat
English to Polish
+ ...
a solution, probably? Sep 18, 2014

I've been lucky and I've just found the solution.
Studio 2014 freezes when mering two segments, and one of them is empty. If both are non-empty, they merge ok.

[edit]
Nope...
It froze again... That really sucks

[Edited at 2014-09-18 14:46 GMT]

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Freeze on merge Sep 18, 2014

Hi, Konat. I have had this problem, yes. I am not entirely sure if it is a genuine freeze - I have a feeling that if you left it for a few hours, it would eventually sort itself out. Sometimes it works. Generally it is on larger files that it freezes, and I believe it gets progressively worse the more times you attempt to merge within the same file. I got into the habit of saving before every attempt at a merge (in one file where I had a constant repeated pattern of split because the TM wasn't s... See more
Hi, Konat. I have had this problem, yes. I am not entirely sure if it is a genuine freeze - I have a feeling that if you left it for a few hours, it would eventually sort itself out. Sometimes it works. Generally it is on larger files that it freezes, and I believe it gets progressively worse the more times you attempt to merge within the same file. I got into the habit of saving before every attempt at a merge (in one file where I had a constant repeated pattern of split because the TM wasn't set up to understand some abbreviation or another, something like that). And after a while - if I remembered before it stuck - I would close the application and reopen it, which clears everything out.

I also have similar sort of problems if I add/change the settings on/remove the TMs on a project a lot - I have various reasons for doing that at the moment on a specific project. Eventually it will stop finding terms, grind, and I'll get the occasional error message pop up - just close and reopen and it's fine.

So there is some under the covers stuff that needs cleaning up, definitely.
Collapse

Konat
Konat
English to Polish
+ ...
horrid experience Sep 22, 2014

Hi. Thanks. Good to know I am not the only one. I've only recently started using studio 2014 more, as before I was trying to avoid it at all cost, due to this (and other) issue. But when I changed a HDD in my computer, I could not no longer use the licence for Studio 2011. Now I have to deal a lot with Studio 2014 and I find this software really horrid. I've never thought someone would be selling as an upgrade such underdeveloped product!
I've just completed a large translation, during whi
... See more
Hi. Thanks. Good to know I am not the only one. I've only recently started using studio 2014 more, as before I was trying to avoid it at all cost, due to this (and other) issue. But when I changed a HDD in my computer, I could not no longer use the licence for Studio 2011. Now I have to deal a lot with Studio 2014 and I find this software really horrid. I've never thought someone would be selling as an upgrade such underdeveloped product!
I've just completed a large translation, during which I was trying to find a solution, but I haven’t found any pattern in freeze problem. Obviously waiting a couple of hours for segments to merge is not an option. I just don't merge or edit segments anymore...

I also noticed that my Studio 2014 randomly crashes when just sitting idle on the desktop. I mean, I do not even move the mouse. I drink my coffee, sit and stare at the screen, and the app suddenly goes boom. That's something really extraordinary. One would think that there's something wrong with my computer, but this is the only app that behaves this way.
Collapse

Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Studio 2014 indeed freezes when merging segments - Paul, can you help? Dec 1, 2014

Konat wrote:

My Studio 2014, which I bought over a year ago, still freezes (the app can only be killed) when joining/editing segments. Has anyone encountered and solved this annoying bug?

Hi Paul,

It looks like many users (including myself) are experiencing the same issue: Studio 2014 crashes when merging segments. It’s not systematic and happens regardless of the number of segments I am trying to merge.

This is quite inconvenient, especially when dealing with long documents full of abbreviations - for instance in the latin form "et al." (often used in bibliographies/references) Studio understands the . as a full stop, therefore breaking the segment.

Can you please help? Thanks a lot.

For information, as at 01/12/2014, I use Studio 2014 Freelance SP2-11.2.4322.0 and my OS is Windows 8.1.

Alexa

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Workaround Dec 1, 2014

As a workaround, you may try to improve the segmentation so that you don't have to merge segments in the first place. Look for "abbreviation list" and "language resources" in the help. You just have to add "al" to the list and Studio will stop cutting up sentences with et al. in them.
Unfortunately due to some horrible software design, the language resources are stored in the TMs, so you have to do this for each TM or use the same TM I believe (unless it was changed for 2014).
Long (
... See more
As a workaround, you may try to improve the segmentation so that you don't have to merge segments in the first place. Look for "abbreviation list" and "language resources" in the help. You just have to add "al" to the list and Studio will stop cutting up sentences with et al. in them.
Unfortunately due to some horrible software design, the language resources are stored in the TMs, so you have to do this for each TM or use the same TM I believe (unless it was changed for 2014).
Long (and old) thread about how this might work: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/125879-how_can_i_change_the_text_segmentation_rules_in_trados.html
If anyone has a one-paragraph summary on how to make global changes to the language resources in 2014 that affect all projects, new and old, please do share.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I don't think it happens with all files, but... Dec 1, 2014

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

It looks like many users (including myself) are experiencing the same issue: Studio 2014 crashes when merging segments. It’s not systematic and happens regardless of the number of segments I am trying to merge.

... if you send me a small file, with steps to reproduce, I'll gladly take to development and ensure it gets fixed.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Paul (I’ll get back to you) + more luck with ’Merge Segments’ icon on the ribbon Dec 3, 2014

SDL Support wrote:
Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

... if you send me a small file, with steps to reproduce, I'll gladly take to development and ensure it gets fixed. [email protected]

Thank you Paul.

As the document I am working on is fairly large, confidential, and urgent, I’ll get back to you when I’m done with this translation i.e when I have a bit more time. I will prepare a small file for you with examples of (non-confidential) sentences with which the problem occurs. This way you can look into the issue when you have a moment and hopefully get it fixed in the near future. I will include screen captures so that you can see how Studio splits the segments by default.

One thing worth pointing out is that I seem to have more luck merging segments when I use the ’Merge Segments’ icon on the ribbon (under Home), as opposed to doing a right click on the segments (or using the shortcut). This could just be pure coincidence.

Also, as another user indicated, the merger seems to work better when the target segment is not empty. Again this could just be random but I thought mentioning this could help you, Paul, identifying the ’merging’ issue, as well as help users with a few things to try when faced with this problem.

Alexa

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »