Thread poster: Bernard Lieber
Igor Puzhai
Igor Puzhai
Local time: 14:26
English to Russian
+ ...
/ Jul 19, 2013

Daniel Salinero wrote:

Here's hoping that SDL Trados will include a Mac OS version of Studio 2014. If not, I'll happily stay with my Mac-friendly CAT tool. It can work with Trados files when I need to and has all of the functions that I would want in a CAT tool at a fraction of the price. I would like to add Trados to my "toolbox" if and when they produce a version for mac users.

I would like to see a Mac OS version too.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
If they had done it in 2009... Jul 19, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
"Say no to the ribbon: an open letter to SDL's Paul Filkin"

A big reason why the ribbon was such a disaster in MS Office program is because MS Office's GUI stayed pretty much the same for many, many years and through many versions. Trados does not have that issue.

Of course Trados has the same issue (although certainly not to the same extent): Studio has already gone through two major versions (2009 and 2011), and will have been in use with the same interface for about five years by the time Studio 2014 is launched.

If they had made the change to a ribbon interface with 2009, nobody would have had any problem in that respect (the interface was in any case very different from Trados or SDLX 2007).

Now there are those of us who have already ingrained in muscle memory what to do in Studio.

Changing the interface at this late date could be another major blunder.

Saša Jovanović
Saša Jovanović  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 13:26
German to Serbian
+ ...
Microsoft Word Serbian spellchecker with Trados 2014 Jul 20, 2013

In Trados Studio 2011 it’s not possible to use the word spellchecker for Serbian

Is this problem solved in Trados Studio 2014.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
There's 125 euros down the drain, then Jul 20, 2013

I wish I'd read this yesterday before I paid for the upgrade from 2011 to 2014 (which, admittedly I don't intend to install until Studio 2014 is on at least SP2, but all the same).

I DETEST the ribbon interface, and it's only ubitmenu that makes it possible for me to use Word 2010 at all.

Unfortunately as someone already pointed out, it's not very likely that anyone will develop a "classic menu" option for Trados... or is it? Perhaps someone in SDL OpenExchange is alre
... See more
I wish I'd read this yesterday before I paid for the upgrade from 2011 to 2014 (which, admittedly I don't intend to install until Studio 2014 is on at least SP2, but all the same).

I DETEST the ribbon interface, and it's only ubitmenu that makes it possible for me to use Word 2010 at all.

Unfortunately as someone already pointed out, it's not very likely that anyone will develop a "classic menu" option for Trados... or is it? Perhaps someone in SDL OpenExchange is already working on it. I hope so.

NB if you have the skills to do this, please note that personally I'd happily pay a further 125 euros just to get an interface I can use, and I bet I'm not the only one.

I really don't see why software companies take such joy in buggering about with the interface of a tool that professionals use for their work. Microsoft can get away with it due to economies of scale, but even that seems stupid to me given that the vast majority of PCs are used in business. I was working in an inhouse position when Word 2007 arrived and the *whole company* lost about a week trying to find where the menus had gone. How much did that cost? Where's the benefit to the customer? And why on earth would SDL want to copy that particular model?
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Misallocation of ressources Jul 20, 2013

JaneD wrote:

I really don't see why software companies take such joy in buggering about with the interface of a tool that professionals use for their work. (…) And why on earth would SDL want to copy that particular model?

I don't know. Maybe because that's what software developers just prefer to spend their time with, or because it's easier than actually solving bugs of the existing version? I can't wait to hear how many of these will still be present in the new version - I bet it's quite a substantial amount. As others have said, I won't be able to tell from personal experience before SP2 is out, if at all.

[Bearbeitet am 2013-07-20 09:56 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
new file filters Jul 20, 2013

The only thing I like in Studio is its file filters. I don't mean that they are better than those of other CAT tools. In one project you may need the multilingual filter from memoQ, in another project the office filter for embedded objects from Deja Vu X2. So I can invest in Studio 2014 for new file filters only.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:26
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Fix bugs first, please Jul 20, 2013

I wish they would rather fix the bugs, such as filenames which they say are longer than 260 characters (but are not), out of memory exceptions, copy to clipboard errors, various other cryptic java error messages that tell the user nothing useful at all, etc.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:26
English to Spanish
No more Java (or MultiTerm), please! Jul 20, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Drop MultiTerm and add a new TB program, preferably not using Java.

I recently upgraded to Java 7 Update 25, and again, I lost the ability to add terms to termbases directly from Studio 2011. I need to open MultiTerm separately, and copy and paste or type in the terms I want to add. A waste of time every time.

How many times have I been through problems with SDL Studio, everytime there is a Java update?

Please, SDL, have mercy, fix this thing!

How many tens of thousands of users SDL claims to have? Just multiply that number by the scores of hours lost by every user of your software on account of these problems, and you will arrive at a terrifying number!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Does it have a ribbon, Jane? Jul 21, 2013

JaneD wrote:

You paid for the upgrade... does that mean that the upgrade is already available? And... does it have a ribbon interface? All this thread does is speculate, based on hints and clues from press releases and help files.

Added:

Oh, wait, I see now that Mrs Markova says that it will "seem familiar to users using Microsoft Office applications". That means either that there will be a ribbon, or the GUI will be baby blue in colour.

I hope Trados 2014 will be easier to use than the web site telling me how easy it will be to use:

As I read Mrs Markova's description, I thought about what it is about Trados 2009/11 that bugs me, and I think the main thing is the fact that menu at the top of the application is context sensitive. In other words, the menus don't always look the same, but changes according to which "tab" you're in. This means I'm often confused for a couple of seconds while swearing to myself that I know I've seen that option somewhere over "here" on the menu bar but where the heck is it now, until I remember that I must start clicking the various task tabs to see if the option I'm looking for appears on the menu bar again.

I also suspect that the fact that I can't undock the various task tabs into separate windows adds to my confusion. It would have been so much easier if e.g. I could have the Files tab and the Editor tab open at the same time, instead of having to memorise what it was that I saw on the other tab.

My big problem is not finding the functions, but figuring out "what's next" in the process and not getting lost with the sequence of events, hoping that I will not accidentally do something in the wrong order, thereby destroying an hour of work.

[Edited at 2013-07-21 09:02 GMT]

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Studio 2014 release Jul 22, 2013

SDL are teasing us with ads and offers regarding the new studio, but carefully avoiding any mention of when it is coming out. Or any concrete information on new features or improvements ...
Does anyone have any ideas?

On their prelaunch offers page there is a graphic of a festival ticket with the date 24 September 2013 - is this it?

Will you be buying it? I'm afraid I'm a technojunky and have to ...

Apparently tomorrow, all will be revealed ...

ghislandi wrote:

Hello
I am from SDL.
We have a webinar tomorrow with Proz:
http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/499

Where we will expand a bit more on what is coming

We are keeping a litte bit of surprise for the launch...

Regards
Massi

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dunno, sorry Jul 22, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

You paid for the upgrade... does that mean that the upgrade is already available?

No, it's not available yet, but when I come round to using it (after they have released SP2 and it's stabilised a bit) then I will install it, and I thought that 125 euros was a reasonable price for an upgrade.

So I don't actually know whether it has a ribbon, but I have a nasty feeling (from the blog you quote among other things) that they think it's a good idea.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Another ribbon-hater Jul 23, 2013

I don't understand why all you guys are so obsessed with the ribbon. I hate it too, but it's so easy to minimize in Word (2010), and one would hope the same would be true in Studio 2014. Also, let's hope they provide a QAT (Quick Access Toolbar), as Word 2010 does, so much quicker (once set up) than either the traditional menus or the ribbon interface.

Tomasz Cieńciała
Tomasz Cieńciała  Identity Verified
Poland
Czech to Polish
+ ...
Qt Jul 23, 2013

If there are so many problems with java and Trados is still not available for Mac/Linux I would suggest switch from whatever is SDL developing in (.net?) to qt framework. Very fast, stable, produces binaries for windows/mac/linux, NO JAVA etc

Yes, I know - I need to wake up

Simon Davies
Simon Davies  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Read only TMs Aug 1, 2013

Hi,

How about being able to draw on all your English TMs, (I have a mix or GB, American, and the odd Canadian) without having to faff about?

Simon

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
AnyTM... Aug 1, 2013

Simon Davies wrote:

Hi,

How about being able to draw on all your English TMs, (I have a mix or GB, American, and the odd Canadian) without having to faff about?

Simon

Hi,

You can use a plugin from the OpenExchange to do this now: http://wp.me/p2xDjK-lu

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »