Thread poster: Bernard Lieber
Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Ctrl+F Aug 31, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Shift F4 searches down in a document in Word.

I did not know about Shift+F4 in Word, and I have been using Word since Word 97. I know for instance how to use complex Regular Expressions, and I can create highly complex Word documents, but I guess I didn't have any need for Shift+F4. Anyway, I was in the habit of simply using Ctrl+F.

Moreover, I usually search within PDFs (PDF XChange Viewer) and webpages (Firefox), and that's where and why I am accustomed to using the Ctrl+F function and seeing the "Find Previous" and "Find Next" buttons. I also index files and search the indexes produced by means of a 64-bit file-indexer.

[Edited at 2013-08-31 20:04 GMT]

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Shift+F4 vs. Ctrl+F Sep 1, 2013

Well, Emma, I followed your advice, but Shift+F4 (i.e. Search up/previous) is very different from Ctrl+F.

Explanation:

I was searching within the source text for a word, but I again jumped over and occurrence. I remembered your hint about the magic of Shift+F4 and used it this time, but instead of searching in the source text it searched in the target text. In fact, each time I pressed the magic Shift+F4 it only searched the target text and skipped the source text.
... See more
Well, Emma, I followed your advice, but Shift+F4 (i.e. Search up/previous) is very different from Ctrl+F.

Explanation:

I was searching within the source text for a word, but I again jumped over and occurrence. I remembered your hint about the magic of Shift+F4 and used it this time, but instead of searching in the source text it searched in the target text. In fact, each time I pressed the magic Shift+F4 it only searched the target text and skipped the source text.

I guess we would be better off upgrading to another CAT Tool.

[Edited at 2013-09-01 20:45 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:57
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Searching in source/target sides Sep 1, 2013

D.D.G. wrote:

I remembered your hint about the magic of Shift+F4 and used it this time, but instead of searching in the source text it searched in the target text.

You're right, Ctrl+F is quite different from F4.
The F4 and Shift+F4 "magic" works wherever your cursor is placed (source or target side), regardless of what you have selected in the F&R dialog box.

Once you are one side it shouldn't jump to the other side, unless you press F6 by accident (or on purpose).

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
ST/TT cursor position Sep 1, 2013

Thank you Emma for taking the time to help me out. Apologies for hijacking this thread.

However, I again searched for a word found in both the source and target texts, this time just to test this thing you've mentioned about the difference the cursor's position makes when using (Shift+)F4.

So I hit Ctrl+F, searched in the source text for "nuclear", I then closed the Ctrl+F window and placed my cursor over the target text area and hit Shift+F4, but it still searched in t
... See more
Thank you Emma for taking the time to help me out. Apologies for hijacking this thread.

However, I again searched for a word found in both the source and target texts, this time just to test this thing you've mentioned about the difference the cursor's position makes when using (Shift+)F4.

So I hit Ctrl+F, searched in the source text for "nuclear", I then closed the Ctrl+F window and placed my cursor over the target text area and hit Shift+F4, but it still searched in the source text, despite the cursor being placed over the target text column. So I saw that where the cursor was placed made no difference.

I can't understand why in the case I mentioned earlier hitting Shift+F4 switched from searching in the ST to searching in TT, but now, when I tried reproducing that case by paying attention to where my cursor is placed Shift+F4 still searched the ST despite it being placed over the TT column.

[Edited at 2013-09-01 21:14 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason:
Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Apologies Natalie :) Sep 1, 2013

I meant to say Emma

I guess that all of the window switching and multitasking got me into mixing up your names.

Best wishes,
Daniel

PS: I wonder why I don't automatically receive any notification about new posts made here. I have to check manually from time to time. I see that I can follow this thread by using RSS feeds or creating Live Bookmarks, but I would have preferred something s
... See more
I meant to say Emma

I guess that all of the window switching and multitasking got me into mixing up your names.

Best wishes,
Daniel

PS: I wonder why I don't automatically receive any notification about new posts made here. I have to check manually from time to time. I see that I can follow this thread by using RSS feeds or creating Live Bookmarks, but I would have preferred something simpler, something similar to the notifications one receives automatically after posting on the KudoZ section.

[Edited at 2013-09-02 10:11 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
To try and clarify this question... Sep 1, 2013

... I recorded a quick video showing how this works:

http://youtu.be/gk9PKiFWLi8

The one thing I forgot to mention was F6. This simply changes the focus from the source to target and vice versa using the keyboard rather than the mouse, which I used in the video.

I hope this helps anyway.

Regards

Paul

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Thanks Paul Sep 1, 2013

Apologies! One can feel the, I guess, understandable tension (inter alia) in your voice by watching the video you just made to clarify the search function. I had no bad intentions.

I was under the impression that what mattered was the cursor's hovering position not its active position. I guess I've read Emma's instructions rather superficially, or that my imagination got the better of me.

My apologies again!

Have a great day!

Daniel

... See more
Apologies! One can feel the, I guess, understandable tension (inter alia) in your voice by watching the video you just made to clarify the search function. I had no bad intentions.

I was under the impression that what mattered was the cursor's hovering position not its active position. I guess I've read Emma's instructions rather superficially, or that my imagination got the better of me.

My apologies again!

Have a great day!

Daniel

BTW: I tried reproducing the scenario that got me complaining about the search function, but everything seems to work fine now. Weird! Anyway, my sincere apologies for hijacking this thread and for the unnecessary stress that I have caused.

I guess that sometimes the visual beats the verbal. Seeing is believing.

[Edited at 2013-09-01 22:15 GMT]
Collapse

Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 12:57
English to Finnish
Merging over paragraph breaks? Sep 3, 2013

I haven't seen any mention of this feature, nor the possibility to edit source segments - I know you can do source editing for a few MS formats but not for e.g Indesign or even plain text.

I guess these are not possible in Studio 2014, and if they are not, they probably will never be.

My apologies, if I am mistaken

Tapsa

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Great plug-in limited activations Sep 7, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Simon Davies wrote:

Hi,

How about being able to draw on all your English TMs, (I have a mix or GB, American, and the odd Canadian) without having to faff about?

Simon

Hi,

You can use a plugin from the OpenExchange to do this now: http://wp.me/p2xDjK-lu

Regards

Paul

I bought and used this for a while and it works perfectly. However, after my computer died and I had to switch computers twice, I quickly realised that the plug-in only has limited activations (with no option to deactivate). Now I have a useless plug-in that I can't use although I paid for it. Just a warning to other users ... For most people this shouldn't be a problem.

AnyTM licensing Sep 7, 2013

Hi Nick,

I will send you a new license which should allow you to sort out your problem.

If anyone else runs into similar problems, just drop an email to [email protected] and we'll help you get back up and running. I'm also looking into more licensing features such as deactivation which should make this easier.

By the way, very soon we'll be releasing a new version of AnyTM, which is compatible
... See more
Hi Nick,

If anyone else runs into similar problems, just drop an email to [email protected] and we'll help you get back up and running. I'm also looking into more licensing features such as deactivation which should make this easier.

By the way, very soon we'll be releasing a new version of AnyTM, which is compatible with the upcoming Studio 2014 and introduces new features such as the ability to update Any TM and to use TM filtering.

Best regards,
CodingBreeze

[Edited at 2013-09-08 06:14 GMT]
Collapse

License sent Sep 8, 2013

Hi Nick,

I've sent you the new license in the mean time.

Best regards,
CodingBreeze

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Now that's what I call service! Sep 8, 2013

codingbreeze wrote:

Hi Nick,

By the way, very soon we'll be releasing a new version of AnyTM, which is compatible with the upcoming Studio 2014 and introduces new features such as the ability to update Any TM and to use TM filtering.

Best regards,
CodingBreeze

[Edited at 2013-09-08 06:14 GMT]

Thanks Erik de Vrieze and the CodingBreeze team! I was planning to write and explain my problem but you were quicker than I was! That's the second time you've impressed me with your excellent service.

I look forward to the 2014 version

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
New alignment capabilities ... Sep 8, 2013

This thread has wandered a bit off course (partially my fault, I know).

One thing that interests me about the new Trados is the integrated alignment capability which replaces the antiquated WinAlign which was part of 2011 but had little or no compatibility with the program itself.

The new one looks more promising and I dis
... See more
This thread has wandered a bit off course (partially my fault, I know).

One thing that interests me about the new Trados is the integrated alignment capability which replaces the antiquated WinAlign which was part of 2011 but had little or no compatibility with the program itself.

The new one looks more promising and I discovered it quite by accident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ik0lOk37Y

But would like to know more about how well it actually "aligns" segments (a weakness in the old version) and how easy it is to edit misaligned segments.

Anybody come across any other new interesting functions?
Collapse

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:57
German to English
It's taken me a year... Sep 18, 2013

..to learn how to use the "old" 2011 version of Studio, which I love. And now I'm going to have to learn it all over again? Gee thanks!

Steve K.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »