Thread poster: Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, I asked Excelling Multiterm to search for duplicates... Nov 23, 2013

... and after a while it managed to find all the duplicates. There was no option to merge them, just to export a log file. The log file is 15 MB in size and has 233,635 lines. I have to say that the XLSX has no more 150,000 lines, which means that the SDLTB that it analysed also has no more than 150,000 entries.

What do I do with this log file? Why is there no option to merge duplicates? What's the use of searching for duplicates if I'm not offered an option to delete or merge them?
... See more
... and after a while it managed to find all the duplicates. There was no option to merge them, just to export a log file. The log file is 15 MB in size and has 233,635 lines. I have to say that the XLSX has no more 150,000 lines, which means that the SDLTB that it analysed also has no more than 150,000 entries.

What do I do with this log file? Why is there no option to merge duplicates? What's the use of searching for duplicates if I'm not offered an option to delete or merge them?

Well, it excelled Multiterm at searching for duplicates, how about excelling at merging them?

[Edited at 2013-11-24 14:29 GMT]
Collapse

Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:25
Member (2008)
English to German
Make tooltips go away when I edit a segment Nov 23, 2013

Trados 2014 has a nice tooltips feature that informs about segments when you hover over the columns left and right of the segment you're editing. Sometimes I am actually using this.

Most of the time though it hinders me from working productively, since I need to use the cursor to work on my segment (inserting words, applying tags, etc.). So, inevitably it will sooner or later (mostly sooner) move one of the side columns and display the tooltip:

While it does it, cannot see what I am typing (especially crappy when I use AutoSuggest and can't see the automatically suggested word). So I either have to wait or leave the keyboard and move the mouse – both of wich is a big productivity killer. I find myself doing this all the time, and it get's on my nerves.

Possible solutions SDL could implement:

The five star solution: Automatically turn off tooltips when text is being entered in the active segment (no one will ever use tooltips while typing)

Alternatively: Allow turning off tooltips via the Options altogether (two stars) or, even better, via the View menu bar and a key command (three stars).

Sophie Govaere McConnell

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agree: Tooltips are a big annoyance! Nov 23, 2013

prmueller wrote:

Trados 2014 has a nice tooltips feature that informs about segments when you hover over the columns left and right of the segment you're editing. Sometimes I am actually using this.

Most of the time though it hinders me from working productively, since I need to use the cursor to work on my segment (inserting words, applying tags, etc.). So, inevitably it will sooner or later (mostly sooner) move one of the side columns and display the tooltip:

While it does it, cannot see what I am typing (especially crappy when I use AutoSuggest and can't see the automatically suggested word). So I either have to wait or leave the keyboard and move the mouse – both of wich is a big productivity killer. I find myself doing this all the time, and it get's on my nerves.

I agree! A real p..n in the a..

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:25
French to English
+ ...
Disable tooltips, enable configuring viewed columns, fix TM fields Nov 23, 2013

[/quote]

[/quote]

1. As I mentioned in a previous forum discussion (http://www.proz.com/post/2224150#2224150) this entire middle column is often superfluous and more annoying than useful (as are other columns) and we should have the option of hiding or displaying any columns we wish and/or tooltips.

2. E
... See more
[/quote]

[/quote]

1. As I mentioned in a previous forum discussion (http://www.proz.com/post/2224150#2224150) this entire middle column is often superfluous and more annoying than useful (as are other columns) and we should have the option of hiding or displaying any columns we wish and/or tooltips.

2. Entering TM fields is a cumbersome and roundabout process. I still haven't succeeded in entering any text fields, as no free text is accepted as field. It would be nice to have an optional prompt to enter fields on opening a TM.

Thanks!
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Tips covering active segment Nov 23, 2013

prmueller wrote:

I quite agree: it's a real pain.

(By the way this isn't new in 2014; tips were also shown in 2011 when you hovered over the segment status column and also used to get in the way when typing in the active segment.)

[Edited at 2013-11-23 16:51 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How to set up a free text field in a TM Nov 23, 2013

Sandra & Ken wrote:

I still haven't succeeded in entering any text fields, as no free text is accepted as field. It would be nice to have an optional prompt to enter fields on opening a TM.

How to set up a free-text field in your TM:
- Go to project settings>language pairs>all language pairs>TM and automated TMs.
- Highlight the TM, select settings> fields and settings
- Now add a name for your text field, pick text from the type column, and click OK.
- Go back and select "update" from the list on the left.
- You should see your new text field, where you can add your free field text. Click OK.

HTH,
Emma

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Filtering TM by entry number; jumping to last page with the last entry Nov 23, 2013

Hello,

this has still not changed since St. 2009: When opening a TM in the TM section, I want to go to the last entries and scroll up from there (using the arrows for browsing) Still no go, the "End arrow" is still missing, I don't understand why such an obviously useful procedure is not yet implemented.
Of course I could filter by project or creation date, but that's just away from the simple scope above and more time-consuming.

Mike

[Edited at 201
... See more
Hello,

this has still not changed since St. 2009: When opening a TM in the TM section, I want to go to the last entries and scroll up from there (using the arrows for browsing) Still no go, the "End arrow" is still missing, I don't understand why such an obviously useful procedure is not yet implemented.
Of course I could filter by project or creation date, but that's just away from the simple scope above and more time-consuming.

Mike

[Edited at 2013-11-23 23:38 GMT]
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Thanks, Emma! Nov 24, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

- Go back and select "update" from the list on the left.
- You should see your new text field, where you can add your free field text. Click OK.

This did the trick!
Much appreciated,
Sandra

BTW, did I mention that this is a cumbersome and roundabout way of inserting fields?

The UPDATE entry should be called UPDATE FIELDS or even better SET TM FIELDS, otherwise it will be understood as Update TM or even Update software.

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

So slooooooow Nov 24, 2013

Trados 2014 is a record breaker in 'slowness' I am afraid. Adding a term to a termbase from the editor window takes forever, but the programmers at SDL have made things less boring for the translator – he/she can enjoy the beautiful animation of the sliding panel, while waiting for the term to be added.

Apart from that the ever present problem with Java (shame on you, SDL!) is present again, and obviously no amount
... See more
Trados 2014 is a record breaker in 'slowness' I am afraid. Adding a term to a termbase from the editor window takes forever, but the programmers at SDL have made things less boring for the translator – he/she can enjoy the beautiful animation of the sliding panel, while waiting for the term to be added.

Apart from that the ever present problem with Java (shame on you, SDL!) is present again, and obviously no amount of pleading and angry comments from customers over the years would make SDL fix it.
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merging in Excelling Multiterm: "might be an interesting option in future versions" Nov 25, 2013

I asked the people behind Excelling Multiterm whether merging duplicates is one of its features or not. Here's the answer:

"Dear Daniel,

No, this is not a feature. The idea of the duplicate search in Excelling is two things.

a) You can also search for duplicate synonyms within one entry / language group. Something MultiTerm will not detect as a duplicate and is actually a defective record.

b) You can “remember” duplicates
... See more
I asked the people behind Excelling Multiterm whether merging duplicates is one of its features or not. Here's the answer:

"Dear Daniel,

No, this is not a feature. The idea of the duplicate search in Excelling is two things.

a) You can also search for duplicate synonyms within one entry / language group. Something MultiTerm will not detect as a duplicate and is actually a defective record.

b) You can “remember” duplicates which are not duplicates but intentional homonyms and won´t be detected in the next search.

You still have to merge them in MultiTerm. Might be an interesting option in future versions, but I think it is a pretty risky thing to do that automatically…"

Collapse

Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Auto-hide cursor when I start typing Nov 25, 2013

Here's another one, related to the tool tips productivity bug I posted earlier:

When working in the Editor, I use the mouse a lot to navigate. The most obvious and frequent situation is: selecting a segment by clicking on it, then starting to edit. Very often (way too often) I find that the display of the cursor gets in the way of what I am typing. Thus, I cannot clearly see a certain letter when the cursor is displayed on top of it (like: is it an "n" or an "m" or an "r"?).
<
... See more
Here's another one, related to the tool tips productivity bug I posted earlier:

When working in the Editor, I use the mouse a lot to navigate. The most obvious and frequent situation is: selecting a segment by clicking on it, then starting to edit. Very often (way too often) I find that the display of the cursor gets in the way of what I am typing. Thus, I cannot clearly see a certain letter when the cursor is displayed on top of it (like: is it an "n" or an "m" or an "r"?).

This is another big productivity killer, as it first and foremost irritates me, thus interrupts my concentration. Then, in order to resolve it, I need to get my hand of the keyboard and move the mouse. I find myself doing that a lot during the translation process.

Suggested solution for SDL to implement in Trados:

Five Star solution: Auto-hide the cursor as soon as I start typing. While I type, there's no need for me to see the cursor. Bring it back as soon as I move the mouse – that's when I need it. (This would be very similar to what happens in video applications, where the cursor disappears after a defined time when you watch a video. Only here it is event driven: As soon as a key is pressed.)

Alternatively: Give me an option to activate something like this in Options (two stars) or via the View ribbon (three stars).
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How exactly do I use the concatenate function in Excel? Nov 30, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Once you have this you can use a concatenate function to add a pipe symbol inbetween each one and then convert the spreadsheet back to a termbase.

Hi Paul,

I managed to find time to use that macro you provided me with and I have to say that it worked. However, I don't know how to use the concatenate function. Where exactly do I have to insert the pipe symbol? Before the text of the entries in the additional columns?

Abrigela
Abrigela
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Glossary Converter Dec 1, 2013

Hello D.D.G.

I believe the Glossary Converter separates synonyms with pipe symbols. So if you add a pipe symbol between each synonym so they are all in a single cell then when you create the termbase you have one source term to several synonym target terms. So term|term|term|term for example.

Abrigela.

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Dec 1, 2013

I had to use the concatenate function in Excel, e.g. =B2&"|"&C2&"|"&D2&"|"&etc., then Copy and Paste Values, or convert Formula to Value, then some moving around and deletion of old data, and then I had to do some Search and Replace. After the values were ok in Excel I used Glossary Converter to convert the XLSX to SDLTB and the termbase is now well organized.

Excellent.

Thanks Paul!

[Edited at 2013-12-01 07:47 GMT]

Joseph Leist
Joseph Leist
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
Problems changing existing TU Dec 2, 2013

After Problems back and forth with the Termbase Editor, this is working (again), for now. A new Problem after the latest update is when I try to edit an existing TU either in Trados or in the SDL T-Window app.

In Trados, when editing an existing TU in the Concordance-Window by selecting "Edit Translation Unit" I hit the "OK"-button after I changed the TU. I then immediately get the error message "Errors occurred when committing some of the edited TUs: Translation Unit ID: 36852, Err
... See more
After Problems back and forth with the Termbase Editor, this is working (again), for now. A new Problem after the latest update is when I try to edit an existing TU either in Trados or in the SDL T-Window app.

In Trados, when editing an existing TU in the Concordance-Window by selecting "Edit Translation Unit" I hit the "OK"-button after I changed the TU. I then immediately get the error message "Errors occurred when committing some of the edited TUs: Translation Unit ID: 36852, Error Code: Other". However, when I hit the "OK"-button, I see that the changes in the TU have been saved.

The problem for me is really in the T-Window-app. When I try to change an existing TU by hitting Ctrl + Enter, I get the error message "Could not confirm segment. Unknown initial error." After hitting "OK", the text in the Target-window jumps down a line (as if I would have hit the Enter-button). The TU remains unedited and if I copy the same text again, I only get the old version of the TU. Thus, I can not edit TUs through the T-Window anymore.

All of this was working fine until last week...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »