SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings
Thread poster: Daniel Grigoras
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:05
English
I guess you didn't read... May 27, 2015

... all the article? Would also explain why you showed your editor to me as you have.

The Ctrl+Shift+H toggles formatting tags when the view is set to allow this. Try going to File -> Options -> Formatting Display Style and have a play with the options there.

I would still be interested to see what it looks like in your alternative editor (memsource). These tags are there and they need to be handled so how does
... See more
... all the article? Would also explain why you showed your editor to me as you have.

The Ctrl+Shift+H toggles formatting tags when the view is set to allow this. Try going to File -> Options -> Formatting Display Style and have a play with the options there.

I would still be interested to see what it looks like in your alternative editor (memsource). These tags are there and they need to be handled so how does this work in memsource?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Video? May 27, 2015

Alena Tomesova wrote:

And question No. 2: what didn't it propagate as 100% segments in your video then if the overriding fonts are not necessary? Because what you were doing is adding these overriding fonts to translation.

Hi Alena,

Apologies for being a bit thick... but what video are you referring to?

Thank you

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I emailed you... May 27, 2015

Alena Tomesova wrote:

I couldn't get the file you link to, so I am only showing the original one.

... the file.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Alena Tomesova
Alena Tomesova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2013)
English to Czech
+ ...
just in short May 27, 2015

Hi Paul,

The video I was referring to is that I referred to also in my original post, about trying to understand how tags work in Studio.

I think I have already found out where the problem is, I will be sending you a detailed explanation by email soon.

------

About the Ctrl +Shift + H thing. It was really not the thing I didn't read the instructions properly. It was a problem it didn't work in that precise instance and I therefore thought (s
... See more
Hi Paul,

The video I was referring to is that I referred to also in my original post, about trying to understand how tags work in Studio.

I think I have already found out where the problem is, I will be sending you a detailed explanation by email soon.

------

About the Ctrl +Shift + H thing. It was really not the thing I didn't read the instructions properly. It was a problem it didn't work in that precise instance and I therefore thought (since it was the first time I tried to do that) it didn't work at all.
As I wrote later, eventually it did work in another project. And I finally found a way to make it work in the original project too. It didn't work in individual files but I did work after I opened them as one multi-file.

This is what happens with Studio all the times. Something works 5 times and then it doesn't. Take concordances, I always do the same, highlight the source term and hit F3. It will work 5 times and then it won't, it will return the results for the previous search instead. There have been complaints about this here and it still isn't fixed. The same with term recognition. A term will be recognized properly several times and then not although it is in the exact form and capitalization as in the termbase (I have noticed this happens more often when a tem is followed by a comma or a fullstop). So simply the Ctrl + Shift + H didn't work in that instance.

[Edited at 2015-05-27 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

Alena Tomesova
Czech Republic
Member (2013)
English to Czech
+ ...
And now for something completely different... May 27, 2015

In my first forum post here, I mixed up two things. This problem with combining tags (as explained in my email I have just sent you) and user unfriendliness of the WISWYG mode.

My point is that if you ever enable users to use the WISWYG mode without tags, in my opinion you should give them full functionalities.

Ideally, these should be user friendly (like turning off bold by hitting Ctrl+B again), the QuickInsert way to force it off is something terribly counter-intui
... See more
In my first forum post here, I mixed up two things. This problem with combining tags (as explained in my email I have just sent you) and user unfriendliness of the WISWYG mode.

My point is that if you ever enable users to use the WISWYG mode without tags, in my opinion you should give them full functionalities.

Ideally, these should be user friendly (like turning off bold by hitting Ctrl+B again), the QuickInsert way to force it off is something terribly counter-intuitive and therefore even inaccessible for many users. There is no logical way for a user to find out he can force off formatting by something which is called QuickInsert. I found out in ProZ forum after long and exhaustive search. And now imagine how many translators there are who can't speak English. How do they find out? Do you provide localized manuals (with the product) to all markets where Trados is sold? I doubt it.

OK, that was user friendlines. Now functionality. I think that if we are given the possibility of having only a WISWYG mode without tags, we should be able to do all the formatting changes there. I don't expect buttons for all the colours and sizes but I would say one "copy format" button would suffice. As an equivalent to copying the formatting tag in the mode with tags displayed.

[Edited at 2015-05-27 11:23 GMT]
Collapse

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 03:05
English to Russian
+ ...
functions don't always work or you have to try again Sep 4, 2015

Alena Tomesova wrote:

This is what happens with Studio all the times. Something works 5 times and then it doesn't. Take concordances, I always do the same, highlight the source term and hit F3. It will work 5 times and then it won't, it will return the results for the previous search instead.

[Edited at 2015-05-27 14:05 GMT]

I have seen these things happen often on older and slower computers, or on OK computers but with too much junk installed on them. you copy a segment but the clipboard is empty and you have to copy again, you press F3 and get the results of the previous search, etc.
possible causes: too much junk on the hard drive, too many services running in the background, antivirus software slowing down Studio performance (add an exception), old computer: add more RAM or get a faster computer with faster CPU, RAM, hard drive, etc. Also, you may be using several very large TMs or TBs and Studio is eating up all virtual memory, etc., especially if your computer is not very fast.

Alena Tomesova
Czech Republic
Member (2013)
English to Czech
+ ...
buying a new computer because of faulty design of a program? Jun 20, 2016

I came across this thread again after some time when dealing with yet another bug of Studio.

Well, my computer even exceeds all the requirements for Studio 2014 and I make sure there are no services/programs slowing it down and I always have enough space on hard drives.
Most of my colleagues complain of the same. Then apparently we all have old/slow computers. Or maybe Studio has higher system requirements than stated.

Yes, Studio is very cumbersome, it is not u
... See more
I came across this thread again after some time when dealing with yet another bug of Studio.

Well, my computer even exceeds all the requirements for Studio 2014 and I make sure there are no services/programs slowing it down and I always have enough space on hard drives.
Most of my colleagues complain of the same. Then apparently we all have old/slow computers. Or maybe Studio has higher system requirements than stated.

Yes, Studio is very cumbersome, it is not unusual for it to be using 1 GB RAM. But since this is the only CAT tool in which I have these problems, I would say the problem is the design of the program. ALL other tools somehow manage to retain the information in the clipboard. Always.

Never mind, I'm soon going to upgrade to 2015, so let's see what it brings.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »