Thread poster: Daniel Grigoras
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:56
English
Proper protected tags... Oct 27, 2013

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

I just noticed this behavior with MT2014 which has been reported here.
When a termbase term is surrounded by tags (in my case it's a two word term preceding and following uicontrol tags), the term doesn't display in the termbase window, nor do I see a line on the top of the words.
I wonder how tags are weighed in Studio, but even if these two tags are seen as part of the term, at least it should still display as a "fuzzy match" to the actual term.

... or the tag markup written as tags in the text itself? If it's the former can you share something with me I can repro?

Thanks

Paul

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 11:56
English to Chinese
Dropbox's fault Oct 28, 2013

Hi Paul,

It turns out that the problem went away after I moved the termbase from Dropbox to the 2014 project folder. It's a pity that I can't place these resources in the Dropbox, as I want to access the same termbase from my other computer. But at least Multiterm is back to normal.
Thank you for offering to check the files--it made me do some testing and found out it's not a Multiterm issue after all.

Chun-yi

SDL Support wrote:

... or the tag markup written as tags in the text itself? If it's the former can you share something with me I can repro?

Thanks

Paul

Laurens Sipahelut
Laurens Sipahelut  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:56
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
EditController is cumbersome. Oct 28, 2013

Thanks Paul for your response to my previous post.

SDL Support wrote:
XML can be absolutely anything and if Studio second guesses what the formatting tags need to be in your XML file then there is a very high chance that the resultant XML file will not work when you return the target application. When working with XML you should pay more attention than normal to making sure that you use the same tags in the target as those in the source.

Yeah, that probably explains it.

SDL Support wrote:
Studio reads exactly what is in the DOCX. If the title style was based on paragraph then this would probably explain it. Have a test just by creating a docx, use different styles (proper styles and not just formatting the text), list items, table cells etc. and you'll have a better idea how this works.

In MS Word, I used Title from the Styles section in Home view.

I've found that editing a term in MultiTerm 2014 is cumbersome. It's supposed to be an easy task, but I ended up deleting the faulty term and adding the new, correct one. In Across it's a matter of a few keystrokes.

Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm 2014 Trial Oct 28, 2013

How can we obtain a trial version of MultiTerm 2014? MultiTerm 2011 was useless for me as when I asked it to merge about 40,000 entries it always crashed. Luckily I could test MultiTerm 2011 in trial mode and see that wasn't worth spending any money on it. How about MultiTerm 2014?

What is SDL afraid of in not providing trial versions? Is it afraid of us finding out that their software is bug-ridden and badly designed?

Laurens Sipahelut
Indonesia
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
Error message box. Oct 30, 2013

Dear Paul, thank you very much for your reply to my previous post, but I have encountered a new bug.

From the Welcome view I loaded a PDF document for translation using the Translate Single Document function. All went well and the document was all set up and ready for me to work on in the Editor view. But then an Error message box popped up that had this to say:

License check failed, with exception: Sdl.ProjectAutomation.FileBased.LicensingException: A valid SDL Trados Studio Professional license is required to use the Project Automation API.
at Sdl.ProjectAutomation.FileBased.FileBasedProject.CheckLicense()

I clicked the OK button and this resulted in Studio removing the document I had loaded in Editor.

Please advise and thank you very much in advance.

With best regards,
Laurens

[Edited at 2013-10-30 10:31 GMT]

Wladyslaw Janowski
Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Also waiting for a trial Oct 30, 2013

D.D.G. wrote:

How can we obtain a trial version of MultiTerm 2014? MultiTerm 2011 was useless for me as when I asked it to merge about 40,000 entries it always crashed. Luckily I could test MultiTerm 2011 in trial mode and see that wasn't worth spending any money on it. How about MultiTerm 2014?

What is SDL afraid of in not providing trial versions? Is it afraid of us finding out that their software is bug-ridden and badly designed?

Hi DDG,
Same with whole Studio 2014 installer. I have opened another thread "Is Studio 2014 really so bad ..." and I've got an answer from SDL's Massimi Ghislandi, telling, the trial version will be available till the end of October.
So we have only one day to wait yet
Regards
WJ

[Edited at 2013-10-30 10:20 GMT]

Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
MutliTerm dead, once again Oct 30, 2013

I really was happy that 2014 finally got an actually working version of MultiTerm. No longer, yesterday, it died a sudden and inexplicable dead. I would no longer work due to a script error:

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Common%20Files/SDL/MultiTerm11/Editor/script/connector.js

A pop-up box suggested to download the latest Java, which I did, but to no avail. Oh, sigh ...

mirekk
mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I have 4 GB RAM... Oct 30, 2013

Jon Hedemann wrote:

mirekk wrote:

..."System Out of Memory Exception", even with small files

Upgrade your system. 1,000 USD should be enough.

I have 4GB RAM which should be plenty enough. It was enough for Studio 2011 anyways...

Laurens Sipahelut
Indonesia
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
The 'Merge Segments' function is greyed out. Oct 31, 2013

I can't merge segments in Editor view. After Ctrl+click-ing the segments and right-clicking the mouse, I find the Merge Segments function greyed out.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:56
Finnish to French
MultiTerm has no activation Nov 1, 2013

D.D.G. wrote:
How can we obtain a trial version of MultiTerm 2014?

AFAIK, MultiTerm has no activation of its own (ie. SDL has now way to make it expire after 30 days), which is why it is not included with the Studio trial.
D.D.G. wrote:
Luckily I could test MultiTerm 2011 in trial mode

Really? How did you get that trial?!
D.D.G. wrote:
and see that wasn't worth spending any money on it. How about MultiTerm 2014?

I don't believe there are any major changes in MT2014 compared with MT2011. The interface has been modified in the same way as in Studio (ribbon à la MS Office), but under the hood, it's probably almost the same.

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Come to think of it, it may not have been a trial Nov 1, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Good question Dominique.

Indeed, as far as I can remember upon not finding the trial version I asked a friend for one, and was surprised that I wasn't told anything about it being a trial. However there is software that does not tell you anything about it being a trial until it expires. One such software is Fluency Translation Suite.

Anyway, who reads the EULA? I haven't read o
... See more
Dominique Pivard wrote:

Good question Dominique.

Indeed, as far as I can remember upon not finding the trial version I asked a friend for one, and was surprised that I wasn't told anything about it being a trial. However there is software that does not tell you anything about it being a trial until it expires. One such software is Fluency Translation Suite.

Anyway, who reads the EULA? I haven't read one with exception when I had to translate one. How were we suppossed to know that MultiTerm is not protected and does not run in trial mode?

Last time we talked was when you offered me support for Wordfast several times, including when I enquired about reselling my Wordfast license as I found it useless. Yeah, I should have read the Wordfast EULA, because if I would have read it I would have found that its license is not perpetual as is Trados' and I wouldn't have bought a license in the first place.

Wordfast is what? A Java plugin someone told me. Multiterm, Trados and Wordfast make use of Java which makes managing and/or importing large termbases virtually impossible.

-- Sent from my Android phone

[Edited at 2013-11-01 11:52 GMT]
Collapse

Laurens Sipahelut
Indonesia
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
When will the bugs be fixed? Nov 1, 2013

I'm translating a document of 1500 segments and I can't do basic things like merging segments or adding new terms. Working with smaller documents, adding new terms was previously not a problem, though it was really slow.

When is there going to be a fix?

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Get the math right! Nov 1, 2013

Could we at some point in the future see Studio get the basic math right, so an SDLXLIFF with all segments translated and confirmed does appear with a 100% progress bar in the files view instead of 99%? This is not exactly rocket science.

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, I already complained about this Nov 1, 2013

To me it said that only 98% was complete when in fact all segments where confirmed. I expected this to have gotten fixed by the recent update, but I checked and it wasn't.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »