Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings
Thread poster: Daniel Grigoras
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Pls observe rules http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8 and http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2
Laurens Sipahelut
Laurens Sipahelut  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:56
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
My Studio 2014 program won't start up properly. Nov 8, 2013

I was working on a document and I'm not sure what I did, but suddenly the program started to flicker rapidly between a state of "Program Not Responding" and a normal responsive state. I had to restart my computer and when I started up Studio again it would go about its normal routine until the start-up screen says "Loading files view...". At this point, the program collapses on the Studio icon on my taskbar (as you would if you press Minimize) and freezes.

By left-clicking the Studi
... See more
I was working on a document and I'm not sure what I did, but suddenly the program started to flicker rapidly between a state of "Program Not Responding" and a normal responsive state. I had to restart my computer and when I started up Studio again it would go about its normal routine until the start-up screen says "Loading files view...". At this point, the program collapses on the Studio icon on my taskbar (as you would if you press Minimize) and freezes.

By left-clicking the Studio taskbar icon or pressing Alt+Tab I can see that Studio has finished loading, but the program itself stays minimized.

Has anybody else experienced this? Does anybody know how to fix this?
Collapse

Vlad Lungeanu
Vlad Lungeanu
Romania
Local time: 07:56
English to Romanian
+ ...
"Object reference not set" error also in Termbase viewer Nov 13, 2013

I have found another area where the infamous "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error appears: the termbase viewer.

Prerequisites:
- a very large glossary (18000 entries, many fields, images), the SDLTB has 400 MB
- a project with the glossary above loaded

System:
- Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
- Java JRE 7u45 x32, downgraded to 7u40, and then to 7u25
- .net Framework 4.0 Extended, upgraded afterwards to 4.5.1
-
... See more
I have found another area where the infamous "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error appears: the termbase viewer.

Prerequisites:
- a very large glossary (18000 entries, many fields, images), the SDLTB has 400 MB
- a project with the glossary above loaded

System:
- Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
- Java JRE 7u45 x32, downgraded to 7u40, and then to 7u25
- .net Framework 4.0 Extended, upgraded afterwards to 4.5.1
- SDL Trados Studio 2014 Professional 11.0.3636.0
- SDL Multiterm 2014 11.0.1052.0

The Termbase Viewer window is empty, except for the large SDL Multiterm logo. When right clicking in the left column, where the list of terms should be, the error occurs.

When selecting a term in Term Recognition and clicking on View Term Details, the focus switches to the Termbase Viewer, but the window remains empty. Clicking on "Edit this entry" does open the entry for editing. The left column remains empty though.

The same project, with the same glossary, works perfectly fine in 2011.

A small glossary, with only a few entries, works perfectly though, so I assume the error is somehow size-related.

Since we are forced to upgrade to 2014 because of a major customer, we would really appreciate seeing this solved.
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm 2014 fatal error each time I search for duplicates Nov 13, 2013

I run Windows 7 64-bit SP1 on a machine equipped with a 2nd Gen Core-i5 processor, 8 GB RAM and a super fast Kingston HyperX SSD, however after creating a large termbase using MultiTerm 2014, a termbase that needs lots of work on it and which has lots of duplicates, when I asked Multiterm 2014 to search for duplicates so that I can merge them afterwards it crashed. It is something that happens each time I ask it to search for duplicates.

mirekk
mirekk  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
English to Polish
+ ...
TM problem Nov 16, 2013

I just noticed I can't always export TM to tmx. I open TM and there is no EXPORT icon in Ribbon. And when the icon EXPORT shows and I can export to tmx the number of exported TUs is ridiculously small and different each time. What the heck?

[Edited at 2013-11-16 21:01 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Disappearing export icon Nov 17, 2013

mirekk wrote:

I just noticed I can't always export TM to tmx. I open TM and there is no EXPORT icon in Ribbon.

When you switch to Translation Memories view the Export icon isn't visible.
It only shows when you have a TM highlighted in the TM list on the left or have one open in the window.
Make sure you're looking in the View tab. The shortcut is Alt+H, R.

And when the icon EXPORT shows and I can export to tmx the number of exported TUs is ridiculously small and different each time.

That's strange. Can you give us some numbers here? How many units does your TM have? How many units get exported?
I think (but I'm not certain) that you get fewer TUs in the export when the TM is full of number-only segments, because they would count as duplicates.
Also, you'd obviously get fewer if you apply a filter to the export.

mirekk
English to Polish
+ ...
Number of exported TUs Nov 17, 2013

Your theory dioes not explain the phenomenon. In my project TM there is over 1300 TUs and the exported number is 708 TUs (1st attempt) and then 203 (2nd attempt). Same with main TU the number of exported TUs is much disproportionate to all TUs. Number-only entries do not explain it all.

mirekk
English to Polish
+ ...
Sorry Nov 17, 2013

[quote]Emma Goldsmith wrote:

It only shows when you have a TM highlighted in the TM list on the left or have one open in the window.

I'm sorry. I must be stupid cause I can't make head or tails of this

What exactly (step by step, please ) should I do to get to export TM to tmx file (and be able to do it every time I try)?

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
2nd try... Nov 17, 2013

mirekk wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I'll try again: You only see the Export icon if you've got a TM open in the Translation Memories view.

What exactly (step by step, please ) should I do to get to export TM to tmx file (and be able to do it every time I try)?

1. Open your TM in the Translation Memories window (bottom left-hand corner of your screen).
2. Click the "Export" icon.
3. Follow wizard.

Still, if you're having problems - and I agree that the very small number of exported TUs sounds very strange - you could try doing the export with this app:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltmconvert-361.html?c=32059#32059

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Step by Step... Nov 17, 2013

mirekk wrote:

Hi Mirekk,

Maybe this video will help... only a minute long..ish: http://youtu.be/ZoIDtbFJ8FE

There's also some more written information that may be helpful here : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-91

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2013-11-17 19:33 GMT]

mirekk
English to Polish
+ ...
I know... Nov 19, 2013

Emma

Thank you for your patience and efforts
Let's clarify further: I know how the process SHOULD THEORETICALLY WORK. I've been using Trados since 2007 version, all through Studio 2009 and Studio 2011. Never had problems with export befgore. The problem is than in version 2014 IT DOES NOT ALWAYS WORK. The icon EXPORT is displayed for one TM and not for the other. And there seems to be no rule...

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Bug? Nov 19, 2013

mirekk wrote:

Emma, Thank you for your patience and efforts

I know how the process SHOULD THEORETICALLY WORK. I've been using Trados since 2007 version, all through Studio 2009 and Studio 2011. Never had problems with export befgore.

Ah... that would have been useful to know a couple of days ago
In that case it sounds like a bug, and I expect Paul would be interested in having a look.

Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Confusing display of TM-Matches Nov 19, 2013

This is something I would really like to see updated in Trados 2014: When in the Editor, I see best matches from my TM. But the display is so confusing that I find I'd rather read the source segment and compare then use the highlights changes.

Here's an example:

In this case, the sequence "Emojiis are" is replaced by "post-click tracking is". Yet, the display garbles the words one by one, which makes it extremely confusing to read and understand.

Why can't those sequences simply stay together to increase readability (and thus usability and productivity)?

Pllllleeeease, SDL, make it work for translators!

Sandor Juhasz
Sandor Juhasz
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Problems with analyze/export unknown segments and segmentation in Studio 2014 Nov 21, 2013

Hi all,

I am trying to find solutions for two problems:

1. When I analyze files in Studio with the function "Export unknown segments" enabled, every time I run a new analysis the previously exported results are also included in the newly exported results in a cumulative manner (i.e. the same exported segments are doubled, tripled, etc.). A temporary solution is to restart the program; however, the problem occurs again after the first analysis.

2. I set a se
... See more
Hi all,

I am trying to find solutions for two problems:

1. When I analyze files in Studio with the function "Export unknown segments" enabled, every time I run a new analysis the previously exported results are also included in the newly exported results in a cumulative manner (i.e. the same exported segments are doubled, tripled, etc.). A temporary solution is to restart the program; however, the problem occurs again after the first analysis.

2. I set a segmentation rule for tab characters, but in spite of this tab characters appear in source segments of docx files but does not appear in the case of texts saved in doc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Excelling Multiterm Nov 22, 2013

D.D.G. wrote:

I run Windows 7 64-bit SP1 on a machine equipped with a 2nd Gen Core-i5 processor, 8 GB RAM and a super fast Kingston HyperX SSD, however after creating a large termbase using MultiTerm 2014, a termbase that needs lots of work on it and which has lots of duplicates, when I asked Multiterm 2014 to search for duplicates so that I can merge them afterwards it crashed. It is something that happens each time I ask it to search for duplicates.

It is one (of the) problem(s) of Multiterm. Give a look to Excelling Multiterm from Kaleidoskope (Austria).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »