Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just gave it a look but it says nothing about merging Nov 22, 2013

René VINCHON wrote:

Give a look to Excelling Multiterm from Kaleidoskope (Austria).

Dear René,

Thanks for telling me about Excelling Multiterm. I just gave it a look and from what I could tell it's of no help for my needs.

[Edited at 2013-11-23 09:33 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:56
English
Useless? Quite an incredible comment... Nov 22, 2013

... so my guess is you are only working with a pretty simple termbase. In this case why not try the Glossary Converter. It's free, and all you do is this:

1. Drag your Termbase to the Glossary Converter
2. Convert to Excel
3. use Excel to filter out your duplicates
4. Drag the cleaned excel spreadsheet back into the Glossary Converter

That's it. Perhaps that will suffice your needs?

Regards

Paul

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm looking for the ability to merge duplicates Nov 22, 2013

Dear Paul,

Thank you for intervening.
I'm not just looking to single out duplicates and eliminate them, what I actually want is to merge them.

I remember talking with the developer of Glossary Converter and asking him to provide some functionality for merging duplicates, but here's what he told me on the 29th of April:

"Hi Daniel,

merging is one hell of a complex process, and really beyond the scope of Glossary Converter. I won't say it w
... See more
Dear Paul,

Thank you for intervening.
I'm not just looking to single out duplicates and eliminate them, what I actually want is to merge them.

I remember talking with the developer of Glossary Converter and asking him to provide some functionality for merging duplicates, but here's what he told me on the 29th of April:

"Hi Daniel,

merging is one hell of a complex process, and really beyond the scope of Glossary Converter. I won't say it will never be done, I have no idea where it will go in the future, but it won't happen any time soon." (Gerhard Kordmann)

So it seems that nobody noticed that I'm looking for duplicates in order to merge them, not eliminate them. Why? Well, I have all kinds of dictionaries in Excel format, and among them a large Medical dictionary. Here's a cropped screenshot of this Medical Dictionary taken from Excel:

As you can see it has close to 150,000 rows/lines/entries, many of which duplicates that I want to merge.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I didn't say get the... Nov 22, 2013

... Glossary Converter to merge them. I said get the converter to export to Excel and then use Excel to change them so they are listed in rows and then you can pretty easily use the Glossary Converter to convert them back to a Termbase in the way you want.

I found a simple macro for excel that will do this easily enough if your terms are in two columns.

Option Explicit

Sub Cons
... See more
... Glossary Converter to merge them. I said get the converter to export to Excel and then use Excel to change them so they are listed in rows and then you can pretty easily use the Glossary Converter to convert them back to a Termbase in the way you want.

I found a simple macro for excel that will do this easily enough if your terms are in two columns.

Option Explicit

Sub Consolidate()
'JBeaucaire (9/18/2009)
'Sort/Match column A values, merge all other cells into row format
Dim LR As Long, i As Long
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'Sort data
LR = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=Range("A1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess

'Group matching names
For i = LR To 2 Step -1
If Cells(i, "A").Value = Cells(i - 1, "A").Value Then
Range(Cells(i, "B"), Cells(i, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft)).Copy _
Cells(i - 1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Offset(0, 1)
Rows(i).EntireRow.Delete (xlShiftUp)
End If
Next i

Cells.Columns.AutoFit
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

I did a quick test and it worked brilliantly. Maybe this will help?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know Paul... Nov 22, 2013

... that you haven't told me to use Glossary Converter to merge duplicates. I just complained that no solution was offered for merging duplicates.

Ok, I have just converted my 1.3 GB EN-RO Medical Termbase to XLSX using the latest version of Glossary Converter (i.e. 3.0.5058.39071). It finished the job without any error in no more than a few minutes, producing a 4.3 MB XLSX file.

So how do I merge duplicates now? I have to use that macro on the XLSX file produced by Glo
... See more
... that you haven't told me to use Glossary Converter to merge duplicates. I just complained that no solution was offered for merging duplicates.

Ok, I have just converted my 1.3 GB EN-RO Medical Termbase to XLSX using the latest version of Glossary Converter (i.e. 3.0.5058.39071). It finished the job without any error in no more than a few minutes, producing a 4.3 MB XLSX file.

So how do I merge duplicates now? I have to use that macro on the XLSX file produced by Glossary Converter?

[Edited at 2013-11-22 17:48 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The macro is one way... Nov 22, 2013

D.D.G. wrote:

So how do I merge duplicates now? I have to use that macro on the XLSX file produced by Glossary Converter?

... so if you have source in column A and target in column B then the macro will move them all into rows so each single source has several columns of targets against it instead of what you have now with duplicated source for each target.

Once you have this you can use a concatenate function to add a pipe symbol inbetween each one and then convert the spreadsheet back to a termbase.

Will be an interesting exercise anyway... and may achieve what you're after.

Regards

Paul

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Columns differ; problems saving the macro Nov 22, 2013

I have source in column A, a column B with the heading "»T«Note", containing notes, and target in column C. I also have a column D with the heading "»T«Note".

I also have problems saving the macro. Here's what I'm told:

Maybe I should just avoid saving it, and just run it. I test ran it on the actual source XLSX, i.e. not on the one I got out of the SDLTB via Glossary Converter, but Excel did not respond and I decided to force-close it via TaskManager. I'm using Office 2010 64-bit on Windows 7 64-bit.

If you want you can give it a go yourself. We could try to use TeamViewer.

[Edited at 2013-11-22 21:46 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This is not a problem... Nov 22, 2013

... it's an instruction. Just say no, and then save the file as a macro enabled workbook. Now you can run the macro.

Regards

Paul

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There are more columns in the XLSX than are specified in the macro Nov 22, 2013

I think that the macro is written for an XLSX that has its source in the A column, and its target in the B column, and as my XLSX has two additional columns, one inserted between the source and the target, it means that I will have to somehow modify the macro or the XLSX itself.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It's tricky... Nov 22, 2013

... not having the full picture. I have no idea what's in your other columns, but this macro is for two columns only as per your original screenshot. I guess the trick would be (unless you know how to adapt the macro) to do something like this:

1. Create a file with only the source and target files.
2. Run the macro on these
3. Do a VLOOKUP on the original file to populate the 3rd and 4th columns based on the contents of the original file (presumably you have some cons
... See more
... not having the full picture. I have no idea what's in your other columns, but this macro is for two columns only as per your original screenshot. I guess the trick would be (unless you know how to adapt the macro) to do something like this:

1. Create a file with only the source and target files.
2. Run the macro on these
3. Do a VLOOKUP on the original file to populate the 3rd and 4th columns based on the contents of the original file (presumably you have some consistency here?)
4. Then put the termbase back together

Shouldn't be too hard. There may be better ways to do this but I can only suggest things in my own knowledge and this seems fairly straightforward.

But of course I don't have your file and I don't know what else may make this harder than it sounds!

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The simplest way would be to... Nov 22, 2013

just scrap the comments/notes. I will have to generate a new SDLTB, then convert it with the Glossary Converter, and after that run that macro on the XLSX generated. Too bad I cannot run that macro on the source XLSX and that I have to get the original XLSX through Multiterm, which will produce a SDLTB, and then get it back into XLSX form from the SDLTB via Glossary Converter to use that macro on the XLSX generated from the SDLTB.

Too bad, some of the notes/comments are really usefu
... See more
just scrap the comments/notes. I will have to generate a new SDLTB, then convert it with the Glossary Converter, and after that run that macro on the XLSX generated. Too bad I cannot run that macro on the source XLSX and that I have to get the original XLSX through Multiterm, which will produce a SDLTB, and then get it back into XLSX form from the SDLTB via Glossary Converter to use that macro on the XLSX generated from the SDLTB.

Too bad, some of the notes/comments are really useful.

[Edited at 2013-11-22 21:10 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps... Nov 22, 2013

... the original xlsx is simple too big for the macro? Why not try the following:

1. Sort the xlsx in alphabetical order based on the source column
2. Split it up into bite sized chunks based on the source and target columns only
3. Run the macro on each one
4. Joint them up again and run the VLOOKUP

Then you can keep all your notes and comments. I see no reason to lose them... it's just a bit of excel manipulation.

Regards

... See more
... the original xlsx is simple too big for the macro? Why not try the following:

1. Sort the xlsx in alphabetical order based on the source column
2. Split it up into bite sized chunks based on the source and target columns only
3. Run the macro on each one
4. Joint them up again and run the VLOOKUP

Then you can keep all your notes and comments. I see no reason to lose them... it's just a bit of excel manipulation.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
I answered precisely to your problem Nov 23, 2013

D.D.G. wrote:

René VINCHON wrote:

Give a look to Excelling Multiterm from Kaleidoskope (Austria).

Dear René,

Thanks for telling me about Excelling Multiterm. I just gave it a look and from what I could tell it's of no help for my needs.

Well I answered precisely to your problem "MultiTerm 2014 fatal error each time I search for duplicates". With Excelling Multiterm, you can search for duplicates even in a huge base and the process will go to the end, which is not the case within Multiterm (as you complained with right). After that you get a list of duplicates and you can merge them if you want.

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Checks for duplicates, but will it merge them? Nov 23, 2013

I read its description but it only said that it checks for duplicates, not mentioning anything about merging them, but I guess that that's implicit.

Anyway, I don't afford shelling out €300 for it and even if I would afford it, I would still prefer to trial it first. I have enough software licenses that I don't use and for which I paid hard earned money.

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found that they offer a trial version Nov 23, 2013

They do offer a trial version: http://www.kaleidoscope.at/English/Software/ExpertTools/excelling_info.php

I'll give it a try.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »