Thread poster: Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:06
French to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2013

I tried to change the default editing font, because the standard default is Times New Roman, which is difficult to read in Hebrew.

I did succeed in making the default edit font larger than the original, in the Font Adaptation window - actually larger than I need since there are no steps between size 12 and size 14 font, but my text still looks like the Bible.

The font does change in the Translation Results window, but there, the size change does not apply and the font
... See more
I tried to change the default editing font, because the standard default is Times New Roman, which is difficult to read in Hebrew.

I did succeed in making the default edit font larger than the original, in the Font Adaptation window - actually larger than I need since there are no steps between size 12 and size 14 font, but my text still looks like the Bible.

The font does change in the Translation Results window, but there, the size change does not apply and the font remains quite tiny.

Font replacement did not work for any fonts and irrespective of source or target language.

Incidentally, this difficulty to make the text clearly readable during work is a good reason for continuing to use good old Workbench for most jobs.

The source document was in Word 2003 and converting it to Word 2010 did not help.

BTW, the new font increase and decrease buttons are nice.

Thank you for your help,
Collapse

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:06
English to Italian
Info Oct 3, 2013

Dear Sangro,
I am from SDL.
I am checking into this for Studio 2014.

Regards
Massi

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Information Oct 3, 2013

Dear Sangro
I checked with our team and they said this is actually how the feature works.

For formats such as .docx\doc, PPTX and so on because the text in these files will always have specific formatting applied to the text, ie, font, formatting (B/U/I), etc. Studio will not change.

If you take the DOCx file and turn it into a TXT file for example with no formattin or even perhaps an HTML file - Studio will over write it.... but when something is already format
... See more
Dear Sangro
I checked with our team and they said this is actually how the feature works.

For formats such as .docx\doc, PPTX and so on because the text in these files will always have specific formatting applied to the text, ie, font, formatting (B/U/I), etc. Studio will not change.

If you take the DOCx file and turn it into a TXT file for example with no formattin or even perhaps an HTML file - Studio will over write it.... but when something is already formatted it only lets you scale the text but not over-write the font.

Nonetheless it could be a good suggestion for future improvemens.

I guess the only alternative is changing the font in the source file ... and then rechange it at the end...?

Regards
Massi
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:06
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand the problem... Oct 3, 2013

Thanks Massi,

What I basically need is a change of font for convenience purposes, although I really don't see why users should not be able to change the font, whether just for editing or for the final output as well. In fact, some fonts that are acceptable in one language may look inappropriate, hard to read, or unusual in the target language, especially if using different alphabets.

The first thing I did even before importing the file in Studio was to change the fon
... See more
Thanks Massi,

What I basically need is a change of font for convenience purposes, although I really don't see why users should not be able to change the font, whether just for editing or for the final output as well. In fact, some fonts that are acceptable in one language may look inappropriate, hard to read, or unusual in the target language, especially if using different alphabets.

The first thing I did even before importing the file in Studio was to change the font in the source doc globally (normal style and everything else), because Times NR in Hebrew it's difficult to read in any software.

After the first attempt to change the font, I saved the file as TXT in a different font, and then saved it back as DOC.
No go.

This would indicate that from the outset, the Times NR font is set as default for editing in Studio 2014 based on some other template, because it did not exist for complex languages in the file.

Thank you for looking into this. Perhaps a simple solution can be found to an apparently minor issue which, for some, may have a significant impact.

I really appreciate your effort,
Sandra
Collapse

Linh Nguyen
Linh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 16:06
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Pls fix!!! Apr 21, 2014

It's real pain for this bug. EX: Typing VNI-Helve for Vietnamese but SDL Studio displays the text in Times NR --> Can not read what I'm typing --> translating like a blind man

Hien Vu

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:06
English
I cannot reproduce this problem.... Apr 21, 2014

... in the editor. can I just clarify what you are doing here.

- File -> Options -> Editor -> Font Adaptation
- Custom Language Fonts
- Change the font for the language you want
- Open the file again

The last part is important because changing the font in here without reopening the file won't make any changes at all.

The other point I guess is to make sure that the font you change to supports your language.

Also, when you say
... See more
... in the editor. can I just clarify what you are doing here.

- File -> Options -> Editor -> Font Adaptation
- Custom Language Fonts
- Change the font for the language you want
- Open the file again

The last part is important because changing the font in here without reopening the file won't make any changes at all.

The other point I guess is to make sure that the font you change to supports your language.

Also, when you say you cannot read it in TNR. is this because it's too small? Can you increase the size in the editor?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Gerti Hofmann
Gerti Hofmann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Font resizing does not work - neither via Font Adaptation nor via buttons Aug 7, 2014

I also have a problem with resizing the editing font in Trados Studio 2014.
The font size displayed in the source and target columns is too small as I am working on a laptop.

I have tried to change the font size via Home --> Options --> Editor --> Font Adaptation. The changes are being accepted, but nothing changes on the screen. I have closed and reopened the file, but still nothing has changed.

I have also tried using the Font Adaptation buttons on the View Ri
... See more
I also have a problem with resizing the editing font in Trados Studio 2014.
The font size displayed in the source and target columns is too small as I am working on a laptop.

I have tried to change the font size via Home --> Options --> Editor --> Font Adaptation. The changes are being accepted, but nothing changes on the screen. I have closed and reopened the file, but still nothing has changed.

I have also tried using the Font Adaptation buttons on the View Ribbon, but nothing happens.

Can anyone help, please, as I cannot see properly what I'm typing!

Thanks,

Gerti
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:06
English
With the file open in the editor... Aug 7, 2014

... go to the View tab in the ribbon and then on the right you see Font Adaptation Options. This group consists of three symbols in a vertical configuration. The bottom one makes font smaller, the middle one makes font larger. but neither of them will work unless you make sure the top one is activated. So perhaps check that first?

I cannot think of any reason why this wouldn't work.

Regards

Paul

Gerti Hofmann
Gerti Hofmann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Thank you! Aug 8, 2014

After activating the top symbol first, it worked - what a relief! Thank you very much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - Changing the editing font doesn't work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »