Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
What do you like about Studio 2014 so far?
Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC
Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:44
English to French
+ ...
Preregister Oct 4, 2013

You can try the following link: http://www.sdl.com/campaign/lt/sdl-trados-studio-30day-free-trial.html

I might add to Jerzy's comment that I'm really a Regex freak and expect that any updated plug-ins, in particular, TermInjector (update probably early next year) will even more unleash the power of Studio 2014 - have already tested it under Studio 2014
... See more
You can try the following link: http://www.sdl.com/campaign/lt/sdl-trados-studio-30day-free-trial.html

I might add to Jerzy's comment that I'm really a Regex freak and expect that any updated plug-ins, in particular, TermInjector (update probably early next year) will even more unleash the power of Studio 2014 - have already tested it under Studio 2014 and works well but should be a killer with further improvements.

Cheers,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-10-04 19:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-04 19:22 GMT]
Collapse

Wladyslaw Janowski
Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Nothing there Oct 5, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Cheers,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-10-04 19:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-04 19:22 GMT]

Thanx Bernard,
I have made use of this link just after 2014 was launched, but I can still only register to be notified, when the trial is available.
I believe to understand this policy (not usual with another software). If there is chance (and there is, so far I can conclude from the posts here and also SDL's answers), not many people would buy 2014 after having the opportunity to try (try before you buy - is this not a golden rule for software?) it out and eventually experience too many bugs, it is better not to make the trial available at all.
I'm using Studio since very first release of 2009, which was extremally bug-reach, but I was then not careful enough. After 4 years, a nearby stable version of 2011 was released. So good time to stay with this version until a nearby stable version of 2014 is available (2018?) Or to have a possibility to get a trial and then decide about the eventual purchase.
With all the licensing problems, which are beeing reported since the first day of new SDL's "unrivalled" bug-plenty, I can also imagine potential problems I could have, when following the current licensing model, installing a trial and then (probably) uninstalling. Is in this case secure way back to working 2011 with old active license?

Regards
WJ

SofieM
SofieM  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Danish
+ ...
Automatic concordance Oct 5, 2013

Automatic concordance is a really neat feature

I still haven't discovered all of Studio 2014's features, but it's a lot faster than Studio 2011!

Anne Sofie

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 2 days
Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Uninstall Oct 5, 2013

@Wladyslaw

Sure, you can uninstall the trial version and use 2011 again! No reason, why you shouldn't be able to.

Not sure about the availability of the trial version though.

Cheers,

Bernard

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 2 days
RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
More speed and security Oct 7, 2013

Hi,
from my point of view, the rapidity of Studio when opening and saving files and the new autosave function are worth the price of an upgrade. You win so much time and you don't have to bother saving the xliff while translating. You can configure your programm to have an autosave each minute!

This is less stress while working. If Studio crashes, just breath, restart and in the critical case, you've lost a couple of segments.

Rapidity is also given by the "virtua
... See more
Hi,
from my point of view, the rapidity of Studio when opening and saving files and the new autosave function are worth the price of an upgrade. You win so much time and you don't have to bother saving the xliff while translating. You can configure your programm to have an autosave each minute!

This is less stress while working. If Studio crashes, just breath, restart and in the critical case, you've lost a couple of segments.

Rapidity is also given by the "virtual merge" function. No use to switch between file view and editor, or between different file tabs, you can have all your files open in the same tab and for example search and replace a certain typo or a terminological inconsistancy in all files at once.

Regards

Sébastien)
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:44
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
That would not be a really good idea Oct 7, 2013

DSC wrote:

Hi,
from my point of view, the rapidity of Studio when opening and saving files and the new autosave function are worth the price of an upgrade. You win so much time and you don't have to bother saving the xliff while translating. You can configure your program to have an autosave each minute!

While I appreciate the usefulness of the new autosave feature, if SDL Studio "autosaves" too frequently you'll have problems: if you happen to be typing when autosave kicks in, you may lose part of a word (i.e., the few characters you were typing when the program autosaved are skipped).

So if you set autosave to save too frequently, you get all that many more chances of errors caused by the feature.

On balance, I appreciate the new feature, but I hope SDL will find soon a solution to this issue. Personally I have set autosave to save only every ten minutes.

[Edited at 2013-10-07 21:05 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
screencast of 'automatic concordance' feature ? Oct 7, 2013

Can someone perhaps post a screencast of the new 'automatic concordance' feature I have heard so many people mention? I am curious what it is.

Michael

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Screenshot of automatic concordance Oct 8, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

Can someone perhaps post a screencast of the new 'automatic concordance' feature I have heard so many people mention? I am curious what it is.

Michael

Here's an example of a segment that brought up no matches at the default setting of 70% as the minimum match value in my TM. Automatic concordance was triggered and I got a useful result.
Note that the 73% in the concordance window reflects the accuracy of the concordance finding, not the initial TM look up (something that many people get confused about).

Automatic concordance gives the same results as selecting the whole of the source segment and clicking F3.
So it's basically a time saving device. By the time you have thought that a certain chunk of a segment sounds very similar to something you have translated before, Studio has already offered you its findings.

Jonathan Fray
Jonathan Fray
United States
Local time: 15:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Great feature but... Oct 8, 2013

Hi Emma,

I also think this is a great feature but haven't you noticed that you can't use MT with this feature? When I'm using MT like SDL BeGlobal ou Google, this feature seems to not work anymore. Is this what you notice? I think don't think it should stop giving Automatic Concordance results just because you are using MT just like the TM look up doesn't stop searching for fuzzies if you use MT, understand?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Automatic concordance and MT Oct 8, 2013

Jonathan Fray wrote:

Hi Emma,

I also think this is a great feature but haven't you noticed that you can't use MT with this feature? When I'm using MT like SDL BeGlobal ou Google, this feature seems to not work anymore. Is this what you notice?

I don't use MT, so I hadn't noticed. I've just tried to reproduce this but I can't get any MT to work at all right now.
Maybe try changing the order of the TMs in project settings?
Or maybe you have enabled "Apply best match after successful look-up" in
File tab>Options>Editor>Automation?

[Edited at 2013-10-08 14:58 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks Emma! Oct 8, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Michael

Here's an example of a segment that brought up no matches at the default setting of 70% as the minimum match value in my TM. Automatic concordance was triggered and I got a useful result.
Note that the 73% in the concordance window reflects the accuracy of the concordance finding, not the initial TM look up (something that many people get confused about).

Automatic concordance gives the same results as selecting the whole of the source segment and clicking F3.
So it's basically a time saving device. By the time you have thought that a certain chunk of a segment sounds very similar to something you have translated before, Studio has already offered you its findings.

Very interesting. A little off topic, but I think that automatic concordance in Studio would correspond to the so-called 'auto-assembing panel' in CafeTran, which you can either trigger by clicking F1, or have open automatically when moving to a new segment. The auto-assembing panel displays auto-assembly results and best fuzzy matches from TMs.

Michael

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
More like... Oct 8, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

Very interesting. A little off topic, but I think that automatic concordance in Studio would correspond to the so-called 'auto-assembing panel' in CafeTran....

... would correspond to the automatic concordance that was in Trados. It was the demand for this to be reinstated that brought it back.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you like about Studio 2014 so far?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »