Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:33
Member (2013)
German to English
Hi Paul Mar 7, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

... at least it doesn't for me:

I wonder if perhaps you are just too fast to click on finish and don't notice the Project Folder location with the browse button in the middle of the screen?

Regards

Paul

Is there a way to change the default location in the bar you highlighted? When I open a package, Trados always wants to save it to Desktop, but I prefer to put it somewhere else - is there a way of changing the default?

Thanks.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
English
No default locations... Mar 7, 2014

... but I think if you point it to somewhere else the first time then subsequent times it should use the same location. At least this is what happens for me.

Regards

Paul

Matthijs Frankena
Matthijs Frankena  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Select a folder? Uh, nope… Mar 25, 2014

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

Nick, if you first open Studio 2014 and then open your package from within the application, you will see there is a line in the middle of the main window in which you can select the destination folder for your package to be decompressed.

As others mentioned earlier, that box for selecting the destination folder is simply not shown when I open a package that I received from a client (and saved in the folder where I want the project folder to be created).

To be honest, having to go through a series of exiting/starting Studio and opening packages just to "train" it to behave nicely, is something that should have been weeded out in the alpha stage of the software. As much as I "like" working with Studio (it's more that I'm accustomed to it, by virtue of being forced to work with it a lot), this is something that would put me off greatly if I had more choices in the matter.

[Edited at 2014-03-25 16:33 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I did get that too... Apr 8, 2014

the browse button and window appeared after a few times... now, that's weird!

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I get this too Apr 9, 2014

Hi. I'm a complete novice with packages, but have recently started working with an agency that uses them. I have no idea what happened when I opened the first package - I downloaded to the Downloads folder, I can only assume it did ask me where to put the project, I'm afraid I don't remember.

But I can definitely say that when I open new packages now, it automatically creates the project in the same place as the previous package, and does offer me a chance to say where I want it. T
... See more
Hi. I'm a complete novice with packages, but have recently started working with an agency that uses them. I have no idea what happened when I opened the first package - I downloaded to the Downloads folder, I can only assume it did ask me where to put the project, I'm afraid I don't remember.

But I can definitely say that when I open new packages now, it automatically creates the project in the same place as the previous package, and does offer me a chance to say where I want it. That's find at the moment, of course, because I am getting multiple packages from the same agency, and I use a folder structure of agency/projects (as I'm sure most do). But when I get a package in from someone else, it is going to be really annoying.

On the plus side, I know that editing the project properties within Trados to change the folder path works really well, I've experimented a lot with that in the past when reorganising things. So if it does unpack in the wrong place, it's not too bad to change, I guess.
Collapse

Thomas Langer
Thomas Langer
German to Swedish
Nick Quaintmere, did you ever get a solution to your problem? Apr 26, 2014

Suddenly I have the same problem - maybe because of an update of Studio 2014 today.
I have been working with Studio 2014 for several months and today suddenly the row in the middle does not say Project folder with the possibility to browse and put the project files where you want.
Now it looks exactly as by you, Nick Quaintmere, "View File..." (greyed out) and "Include Subfolders".
Did you find a solution?

Thomas Langer
Thomas Langer
German to Swedish
The problem arises when you once have opened the package Apr 26, 2014

I just realized that the row in the middle don´t look as it used to, because I already have opened the package once before. So why do I want to open it again? Because I already have started to translate the files and now realized that there is no analyze of the files from the beginning. So I want to analyze the files with the TM as it was from the start without my translations done.

Adrian Palme
Adrian Palme
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
There is a problem with other file locations too Jun 11, 2014

The impossibility of the default file location in Studio 2014 is a general problem, it does not concern only the package files.
For example: I open a normal MS Word file for translation. In the dialog window I chose the TM, then the autosuggest dictionary. Studio opens the file in the editor and then I want to save the Studio file. And what happens? The last chosen folder appears as default - either the TM folder or the Autosuggest folder. And I have to change to my Documents/Projects fold
... See more
The impossibility of the default file location in Studio 2014 is a general problem, it does not concern only the package files.
For example: I open a normal MS Word file for translation. In the dialog window I chose the TM, then the autosuggest dictionary. Studio opens the file in the editor and then I want to save the Studio file. And what happens? The last chosen folder appears as default - either the TM folder or the Autosuggest folder. And I have to change to my Documents/Projects folder to save the file. Normally I would expect, the file would be savet right at the same place as the original file. This is really annoying. Exactly as other user-unfriendly thinks in Studio, such as the user hotkeys, which have been overwritten by the ribbon hotkeys in Studio 2014. And then by other, different, ribbon hotkeys again in Studio 2014 SP1. Herewith my mostly used hotkeys were lost the second time and I had to set and remeber new ones.
I´m sure, this could be easily solved by the developer. But there is no will, I think. Someone from the SDL support suggested me, I should use the AutoHotKey (AHK) scripting application to create my own shortcuts and to customize functions, that normally work in other programs. This is a great idea, I´m using AHK since years. But I am absolutelly sure, not everybody is able to write an own script to customise a 3rd party software (which was not even cheap, by the way...).
Sorry for my bad english, it´s not my preferred language
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
It's gone "weird" again... Jun 11, 2014

after having waited a few days for the "browse" button to appear, Studio 2014 SP1 started offering the last location as a location to save the file... but, no, now it's started offering a location I selected 4 days ago! This is really really strange...

Jens Lindén
Jens Lindén  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
Member (2013)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Another file location query... Aug 8, 2014

When executing the batch task Generating target translations, is there any way to change the default location for the exported files in Studio 2014? As of now, the files end up in the project folder, which I suppose makes sense in a way, but I would like to have the ability to change it.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same problems here 2 years later!!! Mar 17, 2015

This is abominable!

Even if I can see the directory in the dialog, it is show on a grey background, very small, lost in the window... It is almost inevitable that 60% of the project end up in some unwanted directory.

[Edited at 2015-03-17 21:53 GMT]

Spamalot
Spamalot
Austria
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Closing/reopening Studio May 20, 2015

Hi all,
I was reading this all with great interest - just had the same problem with the file location of several project parts all sent as packages that need to have the same project name for technical reasons on the client's end and I can't even "train Trados" to figure that I must have separate and individually named directories for each part even though it's all part of the same thing.
Any guess how many times I have to close and reopen Studio for it to understand that? It simply
... See more
Hi all,
I was reading this all with great interest - just had the same problem with the file location of several project parts all sent as packages that need to have the same project name for technical reasons on the client's end and I can't even "train Trados" to figure that I must have separate and individually named directories for each part even though it's all part of the same thing.
Any guess how many times I have to close and reopen Studio for it to understand that? It simply won't learn here. I tried renaming the project parts sent to me, but it won't even accept that! It is extremely annoying because I cannot look ahead and see how much work the rest will be.
Thanks for any updates you might have!
Best, spamalot.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A Package is a unique Project May 20, 2015

spamalot wrote:

... I can't even "train Trados" to figure that I must have separate and individually named directories for each part even though it's all part of the same thing.

So if you want to have Studio do something else then just unpick the packages and create your own Project with the files where you like.

I like the thought of Studio training itself though... would work wonders for bug fixing and future development requirements

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:33
English to Spanish
Make the Browse bar appear Jun 9, 2015

Step 1: Download the package to your folder of choice, for example, a client's folder.
Step 2: In the same location, create a new folder named after the package.
Step 3: DO NOT MOVE the package to that new folder; not yet.
Step 4: Click and Open the package directly, not from within Studio.
Step 5: The files screen now displays the BROWSE bar to select where to UNZIP the package. Browse for and select the new folder named after the package.
Step 6: (Optional) Move
... See more
Step 1: Download the package to your folder of choice, for example, a client's folder.
Step 2: In the same location, create a new folder named after the package.
Step 3: DO NOT MOVE the package to that new folder; not yet.
Step 4: Click and Open the package directly, not from within Studio.
Step 5: The files screen now displays the BROWSE bar to select where to UNZIP the package. Browse for and select the new folder named after the package.
Step 6: (Optional) Move the package itself to the new folder named after the package, and where all the sub-folders are after unzipping.

If the package is moved to the new folder before unzipping it, the unzip function fails saying that the folder already contains files.

This is what I do, and it works for me. I hope it does for all of you.
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I do it slightly differently Jun 9, 2015

For each of my clients I have a folder for the year.
1. Under that folder each time I receive a file i create a subfolder named date-files (month-day using for example 01-01-files for January 1st so I have everytthing in chronological order).
2. At this time I create another folder under the year, this time with the date-project name (for example 01-01-project name).
3. Then, from inside Studio, I open package, and save it in the folder with the project name.

I
... See more
For each of my clients I have a folder for the year.
1. Under that folder each time I receive a file i create a subfolder named date-files (month-day using for example 01-01-files for January 1st so I have everytthing in chronological order).
2. At this time I create another folder under the year, this time with the date-project name (for example 01-01-project name).
3. Then, from inside Studio, I open package, and save it in the folder with the project name.

I do it this way for two reasons. 1. I have everything for each client in chronological order. 2. I can keep any reference material, pdf originals in the file entitlted date-files so I can access them while I'm working. I sometimes create a word file with websites I have found useful so I can get back to them without having to wrack my brain as to where it was. Then after I have finished, delivered (and sometimes a month or so later) I can delete any folders that are called ...-files and keep my projects. Saves tons of memory space.

Eileen
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 and file locations

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »