Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2014 add/edit terms not working after Java 7 Update 45 installation
Thread poster: RWS Community
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:05
English to Danish
+ ...
followed david_rowe's helpful instructions Oct 20, 2013

Thank you, David. Your instructions took care of the problem for me.
Best,
Alice

Tony.J.A.@DT
Tony.J.A.@DT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:05
English to French
+ ...
Worked for me Oct 20, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi all

There seems to be another workaround (that I personally do not like and is also no recommended by SDL nor Oracle but now I know why it seems to work for some and for others not) by deactivating the following feature in Java Control Panel > Advanced:

Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in

This not forces MultiTerm to use specifically the latest version (in this case J7Up45) rather the version MultiTerm is working with.

So it might be that you receive the message when you try to add/edit a term to install Java described in one of our articles:

Security warning when adding or editing terms in SDL MultiTerm: Do you want to install this software? ( http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4910 )

Regards
Richard

This worked for me, thank you!

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:05
Dutch to English
Nothings working for me Oct 21, 2013

I've dropped back to 1.7.0. v25, adjusted all the settings as suggested (including turn off updates and disabling the next generation plugin), but if I try to enter a new term I see a java website in the termbase viewer window suggesting I upgrade. This also happened before I upgraded to win 8.1.

Regards,

Olly

Michel de Goey
Michel de Goey  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks David Rowe Oct 21, 2013

Reverting back to Up 25 appears to work. I really hope this issue is resolved quickly in the software. What remains is the slowness of opening the pane to insert new entries.

Best,
Michel

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
difficult for us to fix in the software Oct 21, 2013

..and we are not alone. Oracle at least seem to be aware:

https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/7u45_caller_allowable_codebase_and

"We are aware of the issue that modifying the Manifest to use the newer Caller-Allowable-Codebase causes warnings for users below the security baseline and that not doing it displays a
... See more

https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/7u45_caller_allowable_codebase_and

"We are aware of the issue that modifying the Manifest to use the newer Caller-Allowable-Codebase causes warnings for users below the security baseline and that not doing it displays a warning for users above."

However no indication of a fix. Some discussion from developers can be found here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19393826/java-applet-manifest-allow-all-caller-allowable-codebase/19400321

"So the long and short is we have a dilemma; to have no warning on 7u21, 7u25 and 7u40 you must include Trusted-Library:true, and to have no warning on 7u45 you must omit this property.

Thanks Oracle for a Kobayashi Maru - we love you."

Cheers,
Luis
Collapse

Shawn Champion
Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
fixed... at least in my case Oct 22, 2013

I did everything here except I skipped the actual uninstall process and just changed all the settings. Good luck!

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4956&source=article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4956

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Russian
Oracle is the party responsible for bugs in SDL prpducts? Oct 22, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

"We are aware of the issue that modifying the Manifest to use the newer Caller-Allowable-Codebase causes warnings for users below the security baseline and that not doing it displays a warning for users above."

However no indication of a fix. Some discussion from developers can be found here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19393826/java-applet-manifest-allow-all-caller-allowable-codebase/19400321

"So the long and short is we have a dilemma; to have no warning on 7u21, 7u25 and 7u40 you must include Trusted-Library:true, and to have no warning on 7u45 you must omit this property.

Thanks Oracle for a Kobayashi Maru - we love you."

Cheers,
Luis

All this forum thread reads as if SDL was a single person experimenting with Java and selling their software as a donationware. On contrary SDL is a huge company and sells underdeveloped products for hundreds and thousands of EUR! It is funny to hear from a multimillion dollar worth software company that bugs are not their fault and their users must refer to Oracle instead...

Just imagine if companies like Adobe, Microsoft and Oracle itself referred you to other companies to resolve bugs in their own products.

Amazing...

I use SDL products for 15+ years but this thread made me question the value of the offer

[Edited at 2013-10-22 10:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-22 10:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-22 10:21 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
A bit more information from SDL Product Management Oct 22, 2013

Hello,

I think we're probably seeing the frustration with this issue on both sides of the fence, where the support team are having to investigate the detail of issues that have arisen as a result of our choice of technology going through some technical difficulties themselves. Certainly as a company we cannot, and do not, lay the blame for these problems on Oracle. We are suffering as a result of some unexpected security enhancements to Java that were introduced after we released
... See more
Hello,

I think we're probably seeing the frustration with this issue on both sides of the fence, where the support team are having to investigate the detail of issues that have arisen as a result of our choice of technology going through some technical difficulties themselves. Certainly as a company we cannot, and do not, lay the blame for these problems on Oracle. We are suffering as a result of some unexpected security enhancements to Java that were introduced after we released Studio 2014, but this is all.

The Product Director for our Desktop Products is focused on doing whatever we can going forward to lessen our reliance on changes made by others, and as he said in another post on this forum we need to look for ways of replacing/refactoring this component as soon as we can. This will not happen overnight, but it's clear we need to do this.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support
Collapse

Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
German to English
Fingers crossed... Oct 23, 2013

Uninstalling the Java update and replacing it with 7u25 has worked for me (so far). Thanks for all the advice and links supplied here.

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:05
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Trados v2014 – new version, old problems Oct 23, 2013

I have been a faithful user of Trados since version 2007 and Java problems have been around since then (or earlier).

We have been complaining on this forum, we have been complaining to SDL directly, but six years later nothing seems to have changed. SDL still charges us almost every year for what they call a new version, and what I call a collection of patches, but the most important problems are never addressed.

This kind of attitude is exactly the reason why Trados i
... See more
I have been a faithful user of Trados since version 2007 and Java problems have been around since then (or earlier).

We have been complaining on this forum, we have been complaining to SDL directly, but six years later nothing seems to have changed. SDL still charges us almost every year for what they call a new version, and what I call a collection of patches, but the most important problems are never addressed.

This kind of attitude is exactly the reason why Trados is no longer my CAT tool No 1.

Good luck to those who still believe SDL has the will and knowledge how to get rid of the Java problems.
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Sorry to disillusion you Arterm ... Oct 23, 2013

arterm wrote:

Just imagine if companies like Adobe, Microsoft and Oracle itself referred you to other companies to resolve bugs in their own products.

Amazing...

but that is something they do constantly. Particularly Adobe and Microsoft are often very keen to blame others for problems and have even worse help than SDL.

At least on this forum, we have helpful people like Paul and others who come and offer advice and solutions.

If you've ever been on a Microsoft forum, you'll know that they usually completely fail to understand the problem, then offer a standard solution that doesn't apply and thereafter fall silent ...

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
ShowStoppers Oct 23, 2013

Indeed, the only thing that could prevent a release is a showstopper but that seems to be marketing issue...

Cheers,

Bernard

Paloma Carbonero (X)
Paloma Carbonero (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
Box deactivated Oct 25, 2013

René VINCHON wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Hi all

There seems to be another workaround (that I personally do not like and is also no recommended by SDL nor Oracle but now I know why it seems to work for some and for others not) by deactivating the following feature in Java Control Panel > Advanced:

Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in

This not forces MultiTerm to use specifically the latest version (in this case J7Up45) rather the version MultiTerm is working with.

So it might be that you receive the message when you try to add/edit a term to install Java described in one of our articles:

Security warning when adding or editing terms in SDL MultiTerm: Do you want to install this software? ( http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4910 )

Regards
Richard

Since installing (for some days) Multiterm 2014 and Studio 2014, MT editing was working but SLOWLY. Each time I wanted to edit an entry (either in Studio or directly in MT), I had to wait several secunds.

This morning I got the message to install the last Java version, which I did, and I was not able to edit anymore, like other people here. And thas is precisely why I came here.

I was about to uninstalla Java 45 and go back to an earlier version, but before I tried this workaround, that is just uncheck "Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in". Well, now I can edit and furthermore almost instantly, no more waiting. But I still get a problem in Studio : terms are recognized in the segment (underligned in red), but the terminology windows remains empty.

Too bad, so I will go to the uninstall stuff.

Paloma Carbonero (X)
Paloma Carbonero (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
Box deactivated. Oct 25, 2013

Hello!

I`ve deactivated the box "Enable the next generation Java Plug-in", and now the editing terms and the add terms and save features, works for Multiterm 2014 and also for Trados Studio 2014, but I would like to know if it has consequences for other apps.

Thank you!

Paloma

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What are the consequences of this? Nov 3, 2013

Paloma Carbonero wrote:

Hello!

I`ve deactivated the box "Enable the next generation Java Plug-in", and now the editing terms and the add terms and save features, works for Multiterm 2014 and also for Trados Studio 2014, but I would like to know if it has consequences for other apps.

Thank you!

Paloma

When deactivating, there was a warning saying that security will be deactivated, so this doesn't sound like something we want to implement, but it is a fast solution without having to do anything else. It even works with the latest java update (45).

When will we get a proper update for Studio 2011/2014? Sometime soon?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2014 add/edit terms not working after Java 7 Update 45 installation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »