Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2014 add/edit terms not working after Java 7 Update 45 installation
Thread poster: RWS Community
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
English
Oct 16, 2013

Hi all

Thank you for the post here: http://www.proz.com/post/2212897#2212897

Based on that I started this morning to investigate.

As you already (maybe) found out there is at the moment no other workaround then uninstalling the Java 7 Update 45 version and install either the Java 7 Up. 40 or Up. 25 version again. At least I tried to another workaround but no
... See more
Hi all

Thank you for the post here: http://www.proz.com/post/2212897#2212897

Based on that I started this morning to investigate.

As you already (maybe) found out there is at the moment no other workaround then uninstalling the Java 7 Update 45 version and install either the Java 7 Up. 40 or Up. 25 version again. At least I tried to another workaround but no constellation with the options in Java were successful.

A report already was passed to our development and support engineers are all aware of this. Also a KB article was created that should be accessible by now here:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4956&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Sadly, MultiTerm is again suffering from implemented changes in the Java 7 Update 45 from Oracle that includes new security options like the Restore Security Prompts and other fixes that shouldn´t appear after shipping a signed certificate with the 2014 version and the CU for 2011.

However, this new release seems to also contain some known issues/bugs that affect our signed applet/certificate which were implemented with the SDL MultiTerm 2014 release and introduced via a Cumulative Update for SDL MultiTerm 2011.

Exactly there it seems Oracle/Java did some changes (at least it looks like) and also added a new feature. Besides that, I looked up the release notes and found a known issue that (I think) refers to the problem why our certificate is blocked:

Area: Deployment/Plugin
Synopsis: JNLP applet fails to load if using JNLP versioning.

Due to this bug, if you are using the jnlp.versionEnabled property for JAR versioning in your browser applet, your applet might not start. Also users might see a yellow warning about a missing Permissions attribute in the following two scenarios:

The jnlp.versionEnabled property is set to false inside the JNLP file and the version is defined against the main jar.
You use JNLPDownloadServlet for version download support.
The workaround is to either not use versioning via jnlp.versionEnabled, or to use the JNLPDownloadServlet servlet for version support instead.

This information was also passed to our development who is already checking the exact source of the problem.

In the meantime we can just refer to the solution by uninstalling the Java 7 Update 45 version and install again either Java 7 Update 25 or the Java 7 Update 40.

Kind regards
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with our support? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P
Collapse

Paul Patruno
Paul Patruno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
Member (2011)
English to French
Java 7 update 25 does not work Oct 16, 2013

Where to find Java 7 update 40?
Update 25 stopped working and asked you to update and you go right to update 45, which is NOT working either

Adrian Prasetya
Adrian Prasetya  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:57
Indonesian to English
+ ...
same problem Oct 16, 2013

I was working with my SDL Trados Studio 2011 and using Java 7 Update 40 when I got a warning that I should upgrade to the latest version of Java (which is Update 45), but I was able to turn off the warning message and continued working with it. So, I know that Update 40 is compatible with Studio/MultiTerm 2011.

After completing my work, I upgraded my Java to Update 45 and got this problem.

Now, the question is, like PaulPatruno said, where to get the previous version o
... See more
I was working with my SDL Trados Studio 2011 and using Java 7 Update 40 when I got a warning that I should upgrade to the latest version of Java (which is Update 45), but I was able to turn off the warning message and continued working with it. So, I know that Update 40 is compatible with Studio/MultiTerm 2011.

Now, the question is, like PaulPatruno said, where to get the previous version of Java (in my case: Update 40)?
Because as soon as I upgraded to Update 45, my Update 40 disappeared.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:57
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
SDL: get rid of Java Oct 16, 2013

SDL should work to get rid of all reliance on Java asap:

1) keep on working with out of data versions of Java is a bad solution, since Java is a known source of malware

2) updating to the latest version doesn't work, as documented in this thread

So what is SDL doing to avoid relying on this known source of problems?

david_rowe
david_rowe  Identity Verified
France
French to English
How to rollback to a working version of Java Oct 16, 2013

Adrian Prasetya wrote:

Now, the question is, like PaulPatruno said, where to get the previous version of Java (in my case: Update 40)?

To rollback to a previous Java version (as I had to do earlier today) go to this site:

http://www.oldapps.com/java.php

after uninstalling Java through Control Panel.

I went back to v7 25 and the Termbase is now working again.

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:57
Portuguese to English
Why did I update Java Oct 16, 2013

I can't believe it.

It's 11:00, I'm in the middle of a large job, and now MT doesn't work.

I'm not very computer savvy AT ALL and although I've had a go, I can't figure out how to uninstall Java 45 and reinstall the old version.

This is NOT GOOD. AT ALL.

Ok - I've just re-read the thread and seen David's suggestions, which I'll have a go at tomorrow morning -

Hope it works!!!!

[Edited at 2013-10-16 21:58 GMT]

Adrian Prasetya
Adrian Prasetya  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:57
Indonesian to English
+ ...
update to my situation Oct 17, 2013

Adrian Prasetya wrote:

I have an update to my situation and this is a weird one.

Since Java.com doesn't provide a link to the immediate previous version, I browsed the web for old Java version and I found Java 7u40. So, I uninstalled 7u45, restarted my computer, and installed 7u40 ... but here's the kicker: IT DIDN'T WORK and I ended up with the same problem.

I couldn't believe it. I had 7u40 before the upgrade and it worked, but somehow after upgrading to 7u45, downgrading to 7u40 makes no difference at all.

So, finally, I just took the advice from SDL's KB and uninstalled all versions of Java I had, restarted the computer, then ran the MultiTerm installer. And it works! But the Java version the installer had is an obsolete Java 6. I'm tempted to install 7u25, but seeing that it doesn't work for some people, I don't want to push my luck. Right now I'm just glad it works again. But this IS a serious issue that users face and SDL should find a way to make its software NOT ALWAYS depend on Java.

JimShanks
JimShanks
Local time: 10:57
Dutch to English
Revert to Java 7d Update 25 Oct 17, 2013

In a reply on my thread {MultiTerm 2004 broken after Java 7 Update 45 install} Gripen gives the following advice. It is the path to a hidden folder "program data" where you can find the installer for Java 40 update 25.

QUOTE Java installer filename: jre-7u25-windows-i586.exe

So if you have upgraded and stuff stops working...
1. Uninstall all versions of JAVA 7.
2. Install jre-7u25-windows-i586.exe
... goto: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\SDL\SDLM
... See more
In a reply on my thread {MultiTerm 2004 broken after Java 7 Update 45 install} Gripen gives the following advice. It is the path to a hidden folder "program data" where you can find the installer for Java 40 update 25.

QUOTE Java installer filename: jre-7u25-windows-i586.exe

So if you have upgraded and stuff stops working...
1. Uninstall all versions of JAVA 7.
2. Install jre-7u25-windows-i586.exe
... goto: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\SDL\SDLMultiTerm2014\modules or C:\ProgramData\Package
Cache\SDL\SDLTradosStudio2014\modules and run the installer) UNQUOTE

So if you navigate to the folder for your OS you will find the file "jre-7u25-windows-i586.exe"
and running this file will install Java 7 Update 25. There is no need to run the MT 2014 installer, just the Java .exe file.

I have done it on my PC and it works fine.

Hope this helps
Jim
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Possible(?) workaround that needs at least Java 7 Up 25 Oct 17, 2013

Hi all

There seems to be another workaround (that I personally do not like and is also no recommended by SDL nor Oracle but now I know why it seems to work for some and for others not) by deactivating the following feature in Java Control Panel > Advanced:

Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in

This not forces MultiTerm to use specifically the latest version (in this case J7Up45) rather the version MultiTerm is working with.

... See more
Hi all

There seems to be another workaround (that I personally do not like and is also no recommended by SDL nor Oracle but now I know why it seems to work for some and for others not) by deactivating the following feature in Java Control Panel > Advanced:

This not forces MultiTerm to use specifically the latest version (in this case J7Up45) rather the version MultiTerm is working with.

So it might be that you receive the message when you try to add/edit a term to install Java described in one of our articles:

Security warning when adding or editing terms in SDL MultiTerm: Do you want to install this software? ( http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4910 )

Regards
Richard
Collapse

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Result here Oct 17, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi all

So it might be that you receive the message when you try to add/edit a term to install Java described in one of our articles:

Security warning when adding or editing terms in SDL MultiTerm: Do you want to install this software? ( http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4910 )

Regards
Richard

Since installing (for some days) Multiterm 2014 and Studio 2014, MT editing was working but SLOWLY. Each time I wanted to edit an entry (either in Studio or directly in MT), I had to wait several secunds.

This morning I got the message to install the last Java version, which I did, and I was not able to edit anymore, like other people here. And thas is precisely why I came here.

I was about to uninstalla Java 45 and go back to an earlier version, but before I tried this workaround, that is just uncheck "Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in". Well, now I can edit and furthermore almost instantly, no more waiting. But I still get a problem in Studio : terms are recognized in the segment (underligned in red), but the terminology windows remains empty.

Too bad, so I will go to the uninstall stuff.

René VINCHON (X)
France
German to French
+ ...
Result here (following) - NOW DRAMATICAL Oct 17, 2013

Well I'have uninstalled Java 45 and installed Java 7 25 through MT installer.

Now I get a script error when I want to edit or add an entry.

Besides, terminology windows in Studio is still empty.

So what can I do now ?

[Modifié le 2013-10-17 08:15 GMT]

René VINCHON (X)
France
German to French
+ ...
Result here (following again) Oct 17, 2013

Well I have now unchecked again the "Enable ...".

Now all works again. Strange, as before that stuff I had not to uncheck it.

So it goes. Anyway thanks for the answers.

Paul Patruno
Paul Patruno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
Member (2011)
English to French
Can we get ONE way, eassy to implement, that would work Oct 17, 2013

I have been able to work for one day with update 40, after I spend too much time to figure out what to do and locate update 40.
Now Studio 2014 asked me to update again.

and I am stuck again with the usual error after I got the update prompt

Karen Tkaczyk
Karen Tkaczyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:57
French to English
+ ...
Quick workaround for this problem Oct 17, 2013

I too updated to v45 because I was getting script error with v25. Going back to v25 did not solve the problem, obviously.
On Twitter Richard suggested I change the security setting for v25 and that did solve it, so I thought I'd pass it on.
Medium security works.
Obviously not a desirable solution, but at least I can add terms again, if painfully slowly.

Philip Rodriguez
Philip Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Going back to older version Oct 20, 2013

I got the prompt to install the new version in the Termbase Viewer (Studio 2014), so I installed Update 45, after which nothing worked anymore. So I decided to use a system restore point to go back to the older version of Java. However, instead of just getting a blank window in the termbase viewer, my entire Studio now shuts down completely!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2014 add/edit terms not working after Java 7 Update 45 installation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »