Tag error when trying to save target text in Trados Studio 2014
Thread poster: Tina Gross
Tina Gross
Tina Gross
English to German
Oct 24, 2013

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with a couple of word files (docx) in Trados Studio 2014: When I try to save the translated target text, I get the following error message: "Zieltext konnte nicht gespeichert werden (Target text could not be saved - I use the program in German): The 'w:p' start tag on line 24 position 2 does not match the end tag of 'w:sdtContent'. Line 27, position 3."

I meticulously checked the tags in the document - there are not many of them. I tried
... See more
Hi,

I'm having the same problem with a couple of word files (docx) in Trados Studio 2014: When I try to save the translated target text, I get the following error message: "Zieltext konnte nicht gespeichert werden (Target text could not be saved - I use the program in German): The 'w:p' start tag on line 24 position 2 does not match the end tag of 'w:sdtContent'. Line 27, position 3."

I meticulously checked the tags in the document - there are not many of them. I tried to pretranslate the docx again against the translation memory, which didn't help. Then I tried saving the docx as an rtf file, which brought about one pair of tags per letter in some places and obviously also doesn't really help. And I tried to disable tag checking in the file formats, but it didn't help either.

Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - otherwise I will have to translate a large number of word files with loads of repetitions manually ...

Thank you!!!!
Tina
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:07
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Run a Verify (F8) Check Oct 24, 2013

The first thing to do is to run a Verify (by pressing F8 or from the Ribbon) check and correct any errors found, specifically those related to tags.
If the problem persists please report back.

[Edited at 2013-10-24 15:24 GMT]

Tina Gross
Tina Gross
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Verify check doesn't help! Oct 25, 2013

Thank you for your advice, but that's what I've already done. The editor shows the same message that I get when I try to save the file and jumps to a segment in the document that does not contain any tags. Neither the segment before or after does. There are only 10 tags in this document and I've checked them over and over again ...

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Two more possible solutions Oct 25, 2013

The original file might be corrupt. There are two methods to try and fix it.
First, create a TM of your translation if you don't already have one.
Method 1: Convert to RTF (or Doc)
1. Save the original file as RTF (and later as Doc if it doesn't work).
2. Re-translate it using the TM.
3. Create Target document.
4. Open it in Word and save it as Docx.

If this above doesn't work, the document might have a broken bookmark field in it
... See more

If this above doesn't work, the document might have a broken bookmark field in it.
Method 2: Remove all bookmarks from the original document
1. Open the original document in Word.
2. Goto to the Insert tab.
3. Under the Links group select the Bookmark command.
4. Select the Hidden Bookmarks checkbox at the bottom of the window to display all bookmarks in the document.
5. Remove all of them.
6. Save the file, open it in Studio (with or without re-translating it) and try to save it as target.
Collapse

Mhairi Fiona Bain Reeves
Mhairi Fiona Bain Reeves

Local time: 10:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you! Nov 28, 2014

Thank you so much Shai! Your Method 1. worked! I really appreciate the advice.

All the very best,

Mhairi.

Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
Unbelievable Solution! May 27, 2015

Guys, you won't believe how I solved this problem:

I opened the sdkxliff file in question with the standard Windows editor and searched for the string "bookmarkend" and found this:

ph name="bookmarkend" word-end="false" bookmarkend id="0" ...

After fiddling around with that and causing lots of errors and frustration, I simply erased one character - turning the second "bookmarkend" into "bookmarknd".

Guess what - it worked! I got my target doc
... See more
Guys, you won't believe how I solved this problem:

I opened the sdkxliff file in question with the standard Windows editor and searched for the string "bookmarkend" and found this:

ph name="bookmarkend" word-end="false" bookmarkend id="0" ...

After fiddling around with that and causing lots of errors and frustration, I simply erased one character - turning the second "bookmarkend" into "bookmarknd".

Guess what - it worked! I got my target document and it looks OK!

Hope that helps,

Lutz

[Edited at 2015-05-27 16:29 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Nice work-around May 27, 2015

Hi Lutz,

Your suggested solution is indeed a nice one, but I cannot stop wondering whether this is a Studio issue or an MS Word issue. Perhaps Paul can tell us? Is it Studio handling bookmarks not correctly?

Cheers,

Hans

Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
No bookmark to find in Word May 27, 2015

Hi Hans,

I couldn't find any bookmarks in the document. However, it was converted from Framemaker, so there may be some hidden ones.

Lutz

2nl wrote:

Hi Lutz,

Your suggested solution is indeed a nice one, but I cannot stop wondering whether this is a Studio issue or an MS Word issue. Perhaps Paul can tell us? Is it Studio handling bookmarks not correctly?

Cheers,

Hans

Daniela Alunni
Daniela Alunni  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Many thanks Shai! 'Method 1' is great;) Dec 20, 2015

Shai Navé wrote:

If this above doesn't work, the document might have a broken bookmark field in it.
4. Select the Hidden Bookmarks checkbox at the bottom of the window to display all bookmarks in the document.
5. Remove all of them.
6. Save the file, open it in Studio (with or without re-translating it) and try to save it as target.

PaluF (X)
PaluF (X)
Tonga
Would this method 1 work with xml files too? Dec 28, 2015

Daniela Alunni wrote:

Shai Navé wrote:

5. Remove all of them.

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
No, unless the XML content is stored in a Word file Dec 28, 2015

Unfortunately, it works only for Word documents. With the new Word file filter in Studio 2015 these errors should be, save for extreme cases perhaps, a thing of the past.
If you are dealing with a true XML (as in plain text) file, the problem is elsewhere.

Jose&SteveLilly
Jose&SteveLilly
Netherlands
Member (2011)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'm getting the following error on a 54,000 word project that saved ok previously. Any advice? Dec 9, 2016

Shai Navé wrote:

Unfortunately, it works only for Word documents. With the new Word file filter in Studio 2015 these errors should be, save for extreme cases perhaps, a thing of the past.
If you are dealing with a true XML (as in plain text) file, the problem is elsewhere.

[Edited at 2016-12-09 10:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-12-09 10:10 GMT]

Jose&SteveLilly
Jose&SteveLilly
Netherlands
Member (2011)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'm getting the following error on a 54,000 word project that saved ok previously. Any advice? Dec 9, 2016

Shai Navé wrote:

[Edited at 2016-12-09 10:10 GMT]

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Run the tag verifier Dec 9, 2016

Run the Tag verifier (the Verify command) and correct any issues it detects.
If this didn't help (it should if the file previously saved correctly) and you are using Studio 2015 and above, make sure the Word 2007-2016 file type is enabled and before (i.e. above on the file types list) all the other Word file types. Then recreate the project and use the TM to translate everything.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag error when trying to save target text in Trados Studio 2014

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »