How to send an XLIFF file back to the client after translating it in Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Maria Monje
Maria Monje
Maria Monje
Spain
Local time: 06:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 9, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I received an XLIFF.XLF file from the client, which I opened and translated in SDL Trados Studio 2014. I now want to send it back as an XLIFF.XLF file. How can this be done?

Thank you in advance and sorry if this is a repeated question. I couldn't find any related topic that would answer my question.

María

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Save the target file Nov 9, 2013

Hi Marioneta,

If you just save the target file (Shift - F12) it will be the format you received for translation.

Regards

Paul

Maria Monje
Maria Monje
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS! Nov 10, 2013

Hello Paul,

It worked! Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Have a nice Sunday,

María

Maria Monje
Maria Monje
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ERROR Nov 11, 2013

Hello again,

I´m afraid that this is my client´s reply.

"I have finally managed to import the new file into our server. However, only 50% of the translation batch is translated – according to my system."

Is there any alternative option to save the file without losing information?

Thanks for letting me know.

Best,

María

henkboxma
henkboxma
XLIFF parser in 2014 seems to have bugs Mar 15, 2014

We generated XLIFF files using the Studio 2014 XLIFF parser. The client could not import those files.

The root cause is that the generated XLIFF does not comply to the OASIS standard (http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/cs02/xliff-core.html#mrk). The mrk-element in the XLIFF files has an attribute 'id'. This must be 'mid'.

The workaround is to
... See more
We generated XLIFF files using the Studio 2014 XLIFF parser. The client could not import those files.

The root cause is that the generated XLIFF does not comply to the OASIS standard (http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/cs02/xliff-core.html#mrk). The mrk-element in the XLIFF files has an attribute 'id'. This must be 'mid'.

The workaround is to do a global find/replace of '
Collapse

Lubomir Moudry
Lubomir Moudry  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
"Save as" in Studio 2014 permits only sdlxliff - no other file type Mar 3, 2015

Having studied several threads related to saving sdlxliff as "xliff", the answer was always "Use the Save as feature". But my Studio permits nothing but sdlxliff here. Could it be due to Starter version? Or is there any way out? Thanks everyone more experienced

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDLXLIFF is XLIFF! Mar 3, 2015

But if you opened an XLIFF to translate it in Studio then the way to get the target file with the same XLIFF extension is to Save Target As when the file is open in the editor. Well that's one way... try that and see if it gets you what you're looking for?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Lubomir Moudry
Lubomir Moudry  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes, that's it! Mar 3, 2015

Thanks very much, it works.

BTW I am aware of the fact that sdlxliff is actually xliff, but client's software did not let any sdlxliff through so just xliff was permitted to import.

Kind regards, Lub

SDL Community wrote:

But if you opened an XLIFF to translate it in Studio then the way to get the target file with the same XLIFF extension is to Save Target As when the file is open in the editor. Well that's one way... try that and see if it gets you what you're looking for?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to send an XLIFF file back to the client after translating it in Studio 2014?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »