Correcting alignment in Trados 2014
Thread poster: Tiffany Hardy
Tiffany Hardy
Tiffany Hardy  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:02
Spanish to English
Nov 21, 2013

When I align a source and target text there are some errors in alignment and I can't see how to correct it. I can find a lot of information out there for doing it with previous versions in Winalign, but with the new tool all I can find are posts about how much better and easier it has gotten, but no clue how to correct it if it does mess up.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thank you!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nope Nov 21, 2013

As far as I know, it's not possible. They failed to add that feature, which is a pretty massive oversight. Hopefully it will be fixed later.
If you want 100% correctly aligned texts, you will have to use a different aligner.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Directly in the TM editor Nov 21, 2013

You can edit the TM obtained from the alignment: drag and drop (or cut and paste) whatever should be moved, mark TUs for deletion, etc. When the number of changes reaches 100, you are prompted to commit them, and you can continue afterwards.

P.S. I have used the new aligner recently for the first time: two 78-page documents with a rather complicated structure (figure legends, tables, lists etc.) have been aligned within some 2 minutes with perfect results: I only needed to remove th
... See more
You can edit the TM obtained from the alignment: drag and drop (or cut and paste) whatever should be moved, mark TUs for deletion, etc. When the number of changes reaches 100, you are prompted to commit them, and you can continue afterwards.

P.S. I have used the new aligner recently for the first time: two 78-page documents with a rather complicated structure (figure legends, tables, lists etc.) have been aligned within some 2 minutes with perfect results: I only needed to remove the segments that did not require translation (it was actually my fault, I should remove them before aligning). Only three segments needed to be merged (due to different punctuation).

[Edited at 2013-11-21 20:07 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Another approach... Nov 21, 2013

... until we add the alignment editor (we do have one as we used it to verify the alignment during the development of the new alignment tool) is this.

1. Align your files quickly
2. Create a Project with the source files used in the alignment
3. Add the alignment TM
4. Correct as needed

So rather than align any incorrect segments you would just translate them and confirm them to the TM. This approach also gives you the chance to QA the files used for
... See more
... until we add the alignment editor (we do have one as we used it to verify the alignment during the development of the new alignment tool) is this.

1. Align your files quickly
2. Create a Project with the source files used in the alignment
3. Add the alignment TM
4. Correct as needed

So rather than align any incorrect segments you would just translate them and confirm them to the TM. This approach also gives you the chance to QA the files used for the alignment at the same time.

I know this isn't the same, but perhaps it'll work in the meantime?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Tiffany Hardy
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
That didn't work Nov 22, 2013

Thank you all for your help. I followed the steps as recommended by SDL support but about 1/2 of the segments were reported as "No matches found".

For now I will look into other alignment tools until Trados offers an alignment editor again.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps... Nov 22, 2013

... run the alignment again and this time lower the percentage used? This may fill some of the gaps. I find that that 65% works well for most files I test but sometimes dropping this to 50% gives me the detail I was really looking for.

Regards

Paul

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
But... Nov 22, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... run the alignment again and this time lower the percentage used? This may fill some of the gaps. I find that that 65% works well for most files I test but sometimes dropping this to 50% gives me the detail I was really looking for.

Regards

Paul

But if you use this approach, your choice is basically to approve or reject a segment. If the alignment of the source and target 'columns' is shifted by one row, you can't fix it, can you? In other words, you can't pair up segments, just remove them if they are not correctly paired. The TM editor mentioned by Natalie, while reported to be pretty limited as an alignment editor, seems like a better option. Or am I missing something?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I understand that Farkas... Nov 22, 2013

... it is limited. I was only offering this as a suggested workaround until the alignment editor is available.

The idea behind this tool is that the alignment is fast, and pretty good, so that when you receive a bunch of files for alignment to help with a translation project you don't waste time aligning TUs that you might not even use. Rather you get on with the translation and take the benefit of those TUs that are alignment when you run the process.

So you won't r
... See more
... it is limited. I was only offering this as a suggested workaround until the alignment editor is available.

The idea behind this tool is that the alignment is fast, and pretty good, so that when you receive a bunch of files for alignment to help with a translation project you don't waste time aligning TUs that you might not even use. Rather you get on with the translation and take the benefit of those TUs that are alignment when you run the process.

So you won't really realign anything... you just translate the segments that are not aligned.

But I completely, 100%, get the usecase for an alignment editor. It will be available soon. As I said, we do have one as we used it when we developed the tool you have now by recording the changes users had to make so we could keep finetuning the alignment algorithms until they produced good results. But there are still occasions when things won't align nicely and if you have, or want, to create the best possible TM you can out of every segment available to you in the files for alignment then you need his feature.

So I am only suggesting a way to get more from the alignment now and if you create a Project with the source files then you can fill the gaps by translation rather than realigning. Not ideal I know... just a suggestion.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
More thoughts on alignments that are "Out of sync" Nov 22, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:

If the alignment of the source and target 'columns' is shifted by one row, you can't fix it, can you?

That's exactly the problem. The workarounds with the TM maintenance window or setting up a project don't overcome the problem when segments are all out by a single row.

It's like playing music. If you come in a beat late, you'll probably realise and catch up with your fellow musicians. If it's a machine that's playing, it'll be late for the rest of the piece.
So we clearly need the human element back again in the alignment tool. As beta testers, we were able to make use of the editing part of the tool (and it worked well), so I hope it will be back before long.

There was an interesting discussion on the alignment tool in the comments of my blog post on new features in Studio 2014: http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/01/studio-2014-part-1/

My recommended solution back then was your LF Aligner, Andras, and it still is now.

[Edited at 2013-11-22 11:03 GMT]

Tiffany Hardy
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
LF Aligner - great tool Nov 22, 2013

I just tried LF Aligner and it was perfect. I'm impressed.

I then added the TMX file to Trados and for practice, opened a new project with the same source text to see how well the memory was going to work for me. Now I'm finding I'm unable to merge segments in Trados. The exact thing happens that was posted about here:

... See more
I just tried LF Aligner and it was perfect. I'm impressed.

I then added the TMX file to Trados and for practice, opened a new project with the same source text to see how well the memory was going to work for me. Now I'm finding I'm unable to merge segments in Trados. The exact thing happens that was posted about here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229430-sdl_trados_studio_2011:_merge_segments_doesnt_work.html

While I appreciate SDL support on this thread, I just keep hitting road block after road block with this tool, and with MemoQ, I have to say, it has been smooth sailing.

[Edited at 2013-11-22 11:44 GMT]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
WinAlign was (is) very powerful... Nov 22, 2013

... and I wouldn't mind if SDL could take it 1:1 into Trados 2014 if possible. It has a pleiade of settings to control even the most weird formatted beasts of documents...

And then, oh yes, LF Aligner, but maybe too great to mention for SDL users First choice for CAT Hoppers, though.

Greets,
Mike

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
autoaligner + decent interface Nov 22, 2013

MikeTrans wrote:

... and I wouldn't mind if SDL could take it 1:1 into Trados 2014 if possible. It has a pleiade of settings to control even the most weird formatted beasts of documents...

And then, oh yes, LF Aligner, but maybe too great to mention for SDL users First choice for CAT Hoppers, though.

Greets,
Mike

Well, WinAlign had an editing interface (although I always felt it was a poor one). However, it had no autoaligner to speak of, which is an instant disqualification in my mind. The new aligner has an autoaligner, which is a big step forward. Now we know there are plans to tack on an editing interface. When that is done, we might just have a decent SDL-made aligner on our hands, which would be a pretty major (and somewhat unexpected) development. LF Aligner's userbase will probably shrink pretty drastically, but I can live with that. I have a different pet project now:)

Nataschalie
Nataschalie
Germany
Correcting alignment in Trados 2014 coming soon... Nov 27, 2013

Hi Paul!

I'm missing the editing function of the new alignment, too. Will it be an automatic update as soon as it's available or how will I know that I can finally use it?

Natalie

George Cook
George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:02
French to English
+ ...
Still no sign... Feb 21, 2014

As Paul has mentioned on this forum, there is supposedly an editing environment that will be added for Studio 2014.

When I was at an SDL Roadshow in London last October, all of us present were informed that the alignment editor would be available "in a matter of weeks". It's now nearly March, and still no sign of this fabled function. Obviously, 20 is still a number of weeks, but rather more then implied!

Is there any update on when this will be available? Still having
... See more
As Paul has mentioned on this forum, there is supposedly an editing environment that will be added for Studio 2014.

When I was at an SDL Roadshow in London last October, all of us present were informed that the alignment editor would be available "in a matter of weeks". It's now nearly March, and still no sign of this fabled function. Obviously, 20 is still a number of weeks, but rather more then implied!

Is there any update on when this will be available? Still having to use WinAlign is quite irritating when there's a new tool.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
There will be... Feb 21, 2014

... a tool available, built into Studio 2014, when SP1 is released. I don't have a firm date for this yet but I expect we’ll start the external Beta testing shortly. Certainly it will be in this half of the year... and I’m hopeful sooner rather than later.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Correcting alignment in Trados 2014

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »