How do I know my current word count in Trados Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Dr. Andrew Hudson
Dr. Andrew Hudson
Dr. Andrew Hudson
United States
Local time: 05:33
Member (2013)
German to English
Jan 21, 2014

I recently purchased Trados Studio 2014, and am learning to use it. One issue I have is that I'm working on a long project that was delivered to me in a package, and I need to return 33,000 words after a month. How do I keep track of my current word count (of words I have translated so far)?

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
English to Spanish
+ ...
View > Files Jan 21, 2014

Hi Andrew,

If you go to the menu bar, you can choose View > Files. You will get a list of files and one of the columns shows the "Translated" word count for each file.

Best regards,
Patricia

www.TheBestTranslations.com

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:33
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
% translated Jan 21, 2014

The feature I like is the percentage translated, permanently displayed for the open file (or folder) on the bottom right.

María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda
María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Counting Sep 6, 2014

I have done what you said, also there's another view at the bottom but I want to see accurate counting of translated words and I only see the %

ANY EXTRA HELP, PLEASE?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Double click Sep 6, 2014

María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda wrote:

I want to see accurate counting of translated words and I only see the %

Double click the status bar at the bottom (where you see % progress)

Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
No word count given, just n/a May 10, 2015

When I click on View > Files I get "n/a" for the number of words translated.

Jonathan Mark Dowling
Jonathan Mark Dowling  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:33
Member (2014)
German to English
Here's How Aug 28, 2015

You know how to switch between views, for example Projects, Files, Reports, Editor,...

Click on the Files view.

There are tabs at the bottom called File Details, Analysis Statistics, Confirmation Statistics,....

Click on Confirmation Statistics

You will see green bar graphs showing the number of words that are Untranslated, in Draft and Translated.

The green bar graphs always works best for me.

Now your panels are set
... See more
You know how to switch between views, for example Projects, Files, Reports, Editor,...

Click on the Files view.

There are tabs at the bottom called File Details, Analysis Statistics, Confirmation Statistics,....

Click on Confirmation Statistics

You will see green bar graphs showing the number of words that are Untranslated, in Draft and Translated.

The green bar graphs always works best for me.

Now your panels are set up, to show these figures every time you switch to the File view.

All the best!

Mark
Collapse

vird

Noha Mostafa
Noha Mostafa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Word Count in Trados Studio 2014 Oct 30, 2015

Hi everybody,

I have a number of PowerPoint files and I need to know their word count to submit my quote. I'm using Trados Studio 2014. Is there an easy way to calculate the word count of all these files in one window instead of having to open each file alone to get its word count through these referred to steps?

I'm also expecting to receive an updated Word file. Is there a way to count the updates in such file?

Thank you for your prompt reply.

... See more
Hi everybody,

I have a number of PowerPoint files and I need to know their word count to submit my quote. I'm using Trados Studio 2014. Is there an easy way to calculate the word count of all these files in one window instead of having to open each file alone to get its word count through these referred to steps?

I'm also expecting to receive an updated Word file. Is there a way to count the updates in such file?

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Noha Mostafa

[Edited at 2015-10-30 18:53 GMT]
Collapse

Akvile Cibulskyte
Akvile Cibulskyte
Lithuania
Local time: 13:33
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Editing on trados Nov 20, 2017

What to do if I am editing with trados an already translated text and I want to count edited words?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Living in the future Nov 20, 2017

Word gives one wordcount and CAT and TEnT tools give a slightly different wordcount.

I know that some translation agencies give the translator a set wordcount to use in invoicing. I have a couple clients like that. Other agencies are a bit more flexible and may ask you, the translator, to give them a quote with your own verified wordcount, then they split any difference in counts.

Many forward-looking translators are invoicing by the hour or by project, no longer by wor
... See more
Word gives one wordcount and CAT and TEnT tools give a slightly different wordcount.

I know that some translation agencies give the translator a set wordcount to use in invoicing. I have a couple clients like that. Other agencies are a bit more flexible and may ask you, the translator, to give them a quote with your own verified wordcount, then they split any difference in counts.

Many forward-looking translators are invoicing by the hour or by project, no longer by wordcount. Although wordcount remains an important factor in time management and task administration, it can not longer be the only one for invoicing services.

I think my posting is less than 100 words, so I'll just charge you folks the minimum blog posting fee.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I know my current word count in Trados Studio 2014?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »