Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Auto-propagation absurdly slow (Studio 2014)
Thread poster: Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 08:03
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 23, 2014

Now on Windows 8.1 I notice that auto-propagation (numbers) is slower than ever, and by far crosses the border of utter absurdity. It takes literally 5x as much time I would need to do it all manually - no matter the settings. On Win7 it still was not THAT slow (although bordering on absurdity as well).

Are there any tricks, like which programs to make an exception for in Windows Defender? (I have added several, including the Studio, but none seems relevant for auto-prop)

... See more
Now on Windows 8.1 I notice that auto-propagation (numbers) is slower than ever, and by far crosses the border of utter absurdity. It takes literally 5x as much time I would need to do it all manually - no matter the settings. On Win7 it still was not THAT slow (although bordering on absurdity as well).

Are there any tricks, like which programs to make an exception for in Windows Defender? (I have added several, including the Studio, but none seems relevant for auto-prop)

I also noticed now in Win8.1 Studio uses maximum of 31% base frequency/usage of CPU (only the first core), does anyone know why is that so? On Win7 it at least used the 1 core properly.

This latter one is a serious issue as it slows down the entire Studio, so SDL team please do address it.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:03
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Filter for numbers Jan 23, 2014

At the beginning of a project filter to display segments that have only numbers in them, select all, copy source to target, and lock segments.

[Edited at 2014-01-23 11:29 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:03
Member (2004)
English to Italian
erm... Jan 23, 2014

Shai Nave wrote:

At the beginning of a project filter to display segments that have only numbers in them, select all, copy source to target, and lock segments.

yes, if you don't have to localise them...

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Which is not usually the case ... Jan 23, 2014

But still, it is a good workaround.

I propose the SDL Studio trainers to organize a webinar titled "The Necessary Workarounds for Trados Studio 2014". I am the first on the list ... One has to know more workarounds then actual functions for this sw...

Slowness is a constant factor also with other basic features now even more so in Win8.1. I wish for an x64 version of Studio ...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:03
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not usually? Jan 23, 2014

I thought you'd localise numbers into Slovenian, but obviously I was wrong...

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
We do:) Jan 23, 2014

I wanted to say "which usually is the case", Giovanni. Sorry, my lapsus..

Any further suggestions to speed up the big snail?

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:03
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Regex Jan 23, 2014

I assumed that if the segments contain only numbers then they are likely to be bullet points or other non-localized content and not units of measurement/currencies/dates.

If one is working with numbers that require localization, there are two options that I can think of:

1) If the units are recognized and localized correctly by Studio: Filter to display the segments with only numbers in them, confirm the first segment and the rest of the list should get autopropagated c
... See more
I assumed that if the segments contain only numbers then they are likely to be bullet points or other non-localized content and not units of measurement/currencies/dates.

If one is working with numbers that require localization, there are two options that I can think of:

1) If the units are recognized and localized correctly by Studio: Filter to display the segments with only numbers in them, confirm the first segment and the rest of the list should get autopropagated correctly. Then lock all segments.

2) If the units are not recognized and/or part of a segment that also contains text: Copy all to target and at the end of the project do a Regex search and replace or use the TermInjector OX app to localize the numbers.

These are workarounds in a way, so none of them will be a blanket-perfect solution.

[Edited at 2014-01-23 13:06 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
ttx? Jan 23, 2014

Do you work with ttx files?
If so, make sure "Generate document structure information" is not checked before you prepare the project
Unchecking this option will speed up AP considerably.

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, ttx! Jan 23, 2014

Thank you for jumping in, Emma!

Actually I did this one just with my last ttx project, and then I got the feedback from client the "ttx files were not saved correctly".

Do this "structure information" affect the way the T2007 will then read the final ttx version, in any way? What are they?

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Doesn't do the trick either... Jan 23, 2014

Unchecking of "Generate document structure information" does not do much for me here either speed-wise.

I guess we need a larger Win8.1 patch.

Tommy Lund
Tommy Lund
Norway
English to Norwegian
Get rid of translation memories and termbases Jan 31, 2014

I have found that if you just uncheck your translation memories and termbases before going to all your numbers, etc. that will be autopropagated, it works like a charm. I just did a job where 3100 instances of numbers were autopropagated in about 2 seconds. With translation memories and termbases activated, the same task would typically take somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Preview Jan 31, 2014

If you're using realtime preview, it'll help a lot to close it during autopropagation.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you have to localise them... Jan 31, 2014

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Shai Nave wrote:

yes, if you don't have to localise them...

... have a play with the SDLXLIFF Toolkit. Not too hard to use and you can localise number only segments for an entire Project easily and quickly : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-tu

Regards

Paul

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Wow! 8 ) Jan 31, 2014

tlovheim wrote:

I have found that if you just uncheck your translation memories and termbases before going to all your numbers, etc. that will be autopropagated, it works like a charm. I just did a job where 3100 instances of numbers were autopropagated in about 2 seconds. With translation memories and termbases activated, the same task would typically take somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

This (disabling the TM, no need to turn off termbases) really WORKS, I tried it with the most problematic 20kw file from last week, which before would take an hour - without the TM the Studio does it in a millisecond! And localization works perfectly too, while at it.

And since nothing is gained from the TM concerning numbers (by default the recognition is incorrect for my language), this is the best workaround I could never had wished for.

Thanks a lot, Tlovheim, I owe you at least a beer!

[Edited at 2014-01-31 08:39 GMT]

Tommy Lund
Tommy Lund
Norway
English to Norwegian
No problem :-) Jan 31, 2014

Tomi Dobaj wrote:

Thanks a lot, Tlovheim, I owe you at least a beer!

[Edited at 2014-01-31 08:39 GMT]

You're welcome

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-propagation absurdly slow (Studio 2014)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »