Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)
Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:49
English to Czech
+ ...
Jan 24, 2014

Dear all,
is it possible to use Trados Studio 2011 to translate POEDIT files?
I have seen some previous discussion on the topic, which does not seem to shed much light on the topic.
I would really appreciate advice from someone who has done so and learn about its possibilities, disadvantages or potential problems.
Many thanks in advance
Jitka

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:49
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
A little technical, but there is a way Jan 24, 2014

There is a workaround for converting .po files to .xliff and vice versa on MemoQ's site and the same workflow can be used for Trados too:

http://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00405/0/Translate-.PO-files-using-memoQ.html

This might also prove helpful in ragards to running those commands:... See more
There is a workaround for converting .po files to .xliff and vice versa on MemoQ's site and the same workflow can be used for Trados too:

http://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00405/0/Translate-.PO-files-using-memoQ.html

This might also prove helpful in ragards to running those commands:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8890455/po2xliff-conversion-in-windows
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
There is a filter for PO files Jan 24, 2014

There is a filter you can download from the the SDL page itself:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/filetypedefinitionforpo-471.html?c=45277#45277

File Type Definition for PO
By SDL Community Developers
Version v1.0 File type definition for the localisation of Portable Object files (.PO) deriv
... See more

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/filetypedefinitionforpo-471.html?c=45277#45277

File Type Definition for PO
By SDL Community Developers
Version v1.0 File type definition for the localisation of Portable Object files (.PO) derived from GNU Gettext.

It says it should work with Studio 2011 and 2014 but I have not tried it.

Daniel
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I know you said Studio 2011... Jan 24, 2014

... but if you know anyone with Studio 2014 they can prepare the sdlxliff for you and then save the target when you’re done. Studio 2014 has a PO filetype here : http://goo.gl/xiKnGP

Regards

Paul

Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, the filter could be downloaded, for free... Jan 24, 2014

Daniel García wrote:

It says it should work with Studio 2011 and 2014 but I have not tried it.

Thank you very much, Daniel!
Now I am giving it a try!
So far it seems to work properly... I will explore and give an update on this!
Many thanks!

Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simple and beautiful :) Jan 31, 2014

This solution is simple, you just download the filter, install it and use your Studio when processing the poedit files. Target was successfully created so I hope that it will work at the client's side properly as well!
Once again, many thanks, Daniel!

Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Cannot turn the PO file into translatable Apr 30, 2014

Hello,

I followed the instructions you explained in the thread and downloaded the filetype through the SDL website. But when I try to change the usage of the file I want to translate into "translatable", I get an error message that say:

"No matching file type could be found. You have to add a suitable file type via Project Settings."

I'm not sure what to do now. I used the wizard, which means the file type should be there.

Any tips will be hig
... See more
Hello,

I followed the instructions you explained in the thread and downloaded the filetype through the SDL website. But when I try to change the usage of the file I want to translate into "translatable", I get an error message that say:

"No matching file type could be found. You have to add a suitable file type via Project Settings."

I'm not sure what to do now. I used the wizard, which means the file type should be there.

Any tips will be highly appreciated.

Best,
Noha
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You say it should be there? Apr 30, 2014

Have you looked in the list of files in the filetypes to see if it is there? Go to Tools -> Options (Studio 2011), File -> Options (Studio 2014) and then Filetypes. If you just installed it then it will be at the top.

If it's not there then look on the right hand pane. You might see this:
... See more
Have you looked in the list of files in the filetypes to see if it is there? Go to Tools -> Options (Studio 2011), File -> Options (Studio 2014) and then Filetypes. If you just installed it then it will be at the top.

If it's not there then look on the right hand pane. You might see this:

Click on the blue link and you can add the filetype so it's available.

If you are trying to add this to an existing Project you will definitely see this.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

skrivanekczech
skrivanekczech
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Thanks May 1, 2014

Appreciate all the resources, very helpful. Thanks!

Lotus LS
Lotus LS
Israel
Local time: 08:49
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Problem opening a .po file in Trados Studio 2011 Apr 26, 2015

Hi everyone,
This thread was very helpful to me in preparing to deal with a .po file for the first time, but I've run into a problem. I succeeded in downloading the filetype and used the "additional file types exist" link so that Trados now recognizes the file. However, once I try to actually open the file I get this error message:

Method 'SetFileConversionProperties' in type 'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.PO.POParser' from assembly 'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.PO, Version=1.0
... See more
Hi everyone,
This thread was very helpful to me in preparing to deal with a .po file for the first time, but I've run into a problem. I succeeded in downloading the filetype and used the "additional file types exist" link so that Trados now recognizes the file. However, once I try to actually open the file I get this error message:

Method 'SetFileConversionProperties' in type 'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.PO.POParser' from assembly 'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.PO, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888' does not have an implementation.

Any clues?
I sincerely wish Trados would communicate with me in a slightly more comprehensible way...

I did manage to open the file in POEDIT, but I would prefer to be able to handle it within Trados rather than starting over with a new interface, file format, etc. Also, working in POEDIT would mean I can't use my existing translation memory from Trados, unless there is some way of doing that that I'm not aware of. I also have the option of just doing this in an Excel file but I feel challenged to figure out how to do it properly:)

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating POEDIT files in Trados Studio 2011

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »