Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
Local time: 11:53
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
What "free stuff" do you supply SDL? Mar 19, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

I think we all provide a lot of free stuff, but somewhere along the way we all have to be able to manage a sustainable business.

Your occasional comments on these forums are the only "free stuff" SDL provides that I know of. And given the hundreds of stranded Trados users posting bugs and problems with your products here I would say this was a minimum requirement to be considered a serious software supplier. (This never-ending Java fiasco is just one of many examples.)

Rather than repeat that SDL has to charge for all support to be a sustainable business I think you should ask the question - why do so may users have so many problems with your product that require so much support? Maybe if you didn't charge for support you would have more of an incentive to release products with fewer bugs.

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
+ ...
Still a problem in Studio 2009 Mar 19, 2014

Thanks for your suggestion but I still get the Java security warning every time I add or edit a term in Studio 2009. I have the latest Java V51 installed and have no issues with other products.

"Do you want to run this application?
Running unsigned applications like this will be blocked in a future release because it is potentially unsafe and a security risk"

Not to mention a waste of time having to click on Run every single time.
I can avoid this warning b
... See more
Thanks for your suggestion but I still get the Java security warning every time I add or edit a term in Studio 2009. I have the latest Java V51 installed and have no issues with other products.

"Do you want to run this application?
Running unsigned applications like this will be blocked in a future release because it is potentially unsafe and a security risk"

Not to mention a waste of time having to click on Run every single time.
I can avoid this warning by turning off Java security but I don't think I should have to take that risk.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You're kidding? May 24, 2014

Gfarley wrote:
Your occasional comments on these forums are the only "free stuff" SDL provides that I know of.

Hello,

Take a look at this article and you'll see a fair amount of stuff that we do that is for free.

SDL Sustenance : http://wp.me/P2xDjK-7X

And I'm pretty sure this doesn't cover everything we provide for free. We do roadshows twice a year in many countries around the world and these include technical sessions and time for product support - all free if you can attend. We also attend many conferences during the year where we don't charge and we almost always have technical people there to help with advice and to answer questions. All these are free... the fact we hope to sell more licenses is irrelevant if you've already got one!

The only things we charge for are the product and the guaranteed technical support (which also includes maintenance so you get all upgrades included - not just the Cumulative Updates and Service Packs).

I think our "occasional" comments are quite useful too.

Regards

Paul

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
+ ...
I wish I was kidding... Nov 20, 2014

Thanks for referring me to that article Paul. Yes your comments on these forums are very useful and the support I received during the years I paid for it were always excellent (and I had dozens of errors and problems during that time, often after upgrades.)

But the fact remains that when Trados fails, those of us who do not have paid support have to use a lot of time:
- searching forums
- posting on a forum and hoping someone from SDL answers the post
- searching
... See more
Thanks for referring me to that article Paul. Yes your comments on these forums are very useful and the support I received during the years I paid for it were always excellent (and I had dozens of errors and problems during that time, often after upgrades.)

But the fact remains that when Trados fails, those of us who do not have paid support have to use a lot of time:
- searching forums
- posting on a forum and hoping someone from SDL answers the post
- searching the Knowledge Base (here I have seldom found my particular errors.)
- going through the Solution Finder (here I always end up raising a support case and waiting up to three days or more for an answer - not much help if my translation is due today.)
- searching in Help (as everyone knows Help is no help when the product is giving an error message or not doing what it is supposed to do.)
- waiting until your roadshow comes to my town (zzzzz)

I still can't shake the feeling that companies that charge for support have less incentive to release error-free products.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Well the good news... Nov 20, 2014

... is that we released Studio 2014 SP2 and MultiTerm 2014 SP2 yesterday, and neither of these versions rely on Java at all any more.

I'm afraid you will have to upgrade from 2009 if you want this, but we certainly don't have any incentive to produce problem products. Who wants to have to handle complaints from a userbase that predominantly doesn't pay for support? Not a particularly good business model!

I'd suggest you read the article again because you'll see we als
... See more
... is that we released Studio 2014 SP2 and MultiTerm 2014 SP2 yesterday, and neither of these versions rely on Java at all any more.

I'm afraid you will have to upgrade from 2009 if you want this, but we certainly don't have any incentive to produce problem products. Who wants to have to handle complaints from a userbase that predominantly doesn't pay for support? Not a particularly good business model!

I'd suggest you read the article again because you'll see we also operate our own community, for free, where anyone using a supported version of the software can ask a question with or without a support contract. Just go here and login with the same credentials you use in your MySDL account.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 and Java: the ultimate solution

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »