Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:38
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 4, 2014

Dear Colleagues,
I have seen that have been published many threads about Java not working properly in Studio 2014, so I wanted to ask you if my solution is the last and definitive one or if there have been other advances.
I have installed Trados 2014 SP2, without installing last java update, but keeping Java 7 update 20 and 25.
Moreover, since the process of adding terms in Studio was pretty slow I have followed the advice repo
... See more
Dear Colleagues,
I have seen that have been published many threads about Java not working properly in Studio 2014, so I wanted to ask you if my solution is the last and definitive one or if there have been other advances.
I have installed Trados 2014 SP2, without installing last java update, but keeping Java 7 update 20 and 25.
Moreover, since the process of adding terms in Studio was pretty slow I have followed the advice reported here: http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=5019

–- "Open Control Panel and double-click on the Java icon. The Java Control Panel is displayed.
Select the Advanced tab.Ensure the the Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in box is ticked:
Scroll down to the Perform certificate revocation checks on group box and select Publisher’s certificate only.On the Check for certificate revocation using group box, select Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs)".

So, for me now adding terms works pretty well and faster than before (about 2-3 seconds compared to 6-7 seconds before).
So I wanted to ask you if this is the perfect configuration of Trados and Java, or if it is worth installing last Java update. By the way, I use Java only with Trados, since my windows OS in on a virtual machine and I browse the Internet on the mac side of my computer.
Thank you for your opinions,
Bruno
Collapse

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
best if you install latest version Feb 4, 2014

hi Bruno,

old Java versions have a bad reputation due to security issues.
I'm using the latest Java with Studio 2014 updated, and it works like a charm, even with the Java Security setting set to High. (Note: Studio 2014 SP2 doesn't exist; are you using Studio 2011 SP2R, or Studio 2014 with CU2 (Cumulative update) installed?

if you finally decide to use the latest Java, I would recommend you first deleted all the Java Temporary files, then uninstall the old versio
... See more
hi Bruno,

I'm using the latest Java with Studio 2014 updated, and it works like a charm, even with the Java Security setting set to High. (Note: Studio 2014 SP2 doesn't exist; are you using Studio 2011 SP2R, or Studio 2014 with CU2 (Cumulative update) installed?

if you finally decide to use the latest Java, I would recommend you first deleted all the Java Temporary files, then uninstall the old version, and then download the corresponding Java off-line installer (around 25MB), which is more reliable than installing it from the web.

you have probably found that after starting Studio, the first term you add to a TB takes a little longer than the next ones. this is a normal behaviour, you shouldn't worry about it.

good luck!
BTW, I use an i5 processor laptop with 8MB of RAM and Windows 7, but I think my advise should work with your system also.
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java update 45 or the latest? Feb 4, 2014

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

hi Bruno,

if you finally decide to use the latest Java, I would recommend you first deleted all the Java Temporary files, then uninstall the old version, and then download the corresponding Java off-line installer (around 25MB), which is more reliable than installing it from the web.

you have probably found that after starting Studio, the first term you add to a TB takes a little longer than the next ones. this is a normal behaviour, you shouldn't worry about it.

good luck!
BTW, I use an i5 processor laptop with 8MB of RAM and Windows 7, but I think my advise should work with your system also.

Thank you for your reply Lorenzo!
Can I ask you which version of Java you have installed?
Because, installing java update 45 caused the mulfunctioning of Multiter, I couldn't add or edit terms. And I was not the only one with this problems. It seems that it appears only on some users, but SDL answers are not clear.
Searching the forums, in one thread SLD suggests to use Java 20 or 25, in another thread they say that it works perfectly with update 45, which is not true. For me it didn't work at all.
So, maybe with last Java update is different? I think it should be update 51.
But I want to be sure before installing it, because I don't want to lose time installing and removing things over and over.

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Java 7.51 Feb 4, 2014

yes, the latest version is Java 7.51. that is the one I'm using.
also note that you should install the 32-bit version, because Studio is 32-bit.
and having both 32-bit and 64-bit Java installed on your machine will probably lead to problems.

it seems 7.51 resolved the problems arising with 7.45!

regards.

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 4, 2014

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

yes, the latest version is Java 7.51. that is the one I'm using.
also note that you should install the 32-bit version, because Studio is 32-bit.
and having both 32-bit and 64-bit Java installed on your machine will probably lead to problems.

it seems 7.51 resolved the problems arising with 7.45!

regards.

Thank you Lorenzo,
I will give it a try and keep my fingers crossed!
You have been very helpful, I wish you a nice evening.

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 09:38
English to German
+ ...
Updated to 7.51, MT doesn't work anymore Feb 5, 2014

I just updated to 7.51, now I can't add any terms to Multiterm anymore.
Before it worked (though it was slow).

I altered the certificate verification (as recommended) but that didn't help.
I also disabled mixed code verification and next-generation Java Plug-in is of course enabled.
I also uninstalled Java 6. None of these measures changed anything.

When I do "add new term", the termbase viewer opens, it loads/works for a few seconds, but the entry I w
... See more
I just updated to 7.51, now I can't add any terms to Multiterm anymore.
Before it worked (though it was slow).

I altered the certificate verification (as recommended) but that didn't help.
I also disabled mixed code verification and next-generation Java Plug-in is of course enabled.
I also uninstalled Java 6. None of these measures changed anything.

When I do "add new term", the termbase viewer opens, it loads/works for a few seconds, but the entry I want to save doesn't appear. The entry window remains empty, only the list of terms appears.

Clicking "Save term" gives me a script error: "Object doesn't support property or method 'save'".
Collapse

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 09:38
English to German
+ ...
Multiterm 2014 doesn't work either Feb 5, 2014

So now Multiterm 2014 doesn't work properly either - I cannot add new terms, it opens a tab for the new term but it is blank and I can't enter anything.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
32 bit Java needed Feb 5, 2014

Henning Holthusen wrote:

So now Multiterm 2014 doesn't work properly either - I cannot add new terms, it opens a tab for the new term but it is blank and I can't enter anything.

I had this problem recently on a fresh installation and it turned out the 64-bit version of Java had been installed by default on my 64-bit OS. I uninstalled it and then installed the 32-bit version. Now it works fine.

Could this be your problem too?

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have been lucky.. Feb 5, 2014

Henning Holthusen wrote:

Dear Henning,
I am sorry this happened to you.
Indeed, I still haven't tried to update to Java 7.51 because I am afraid of such things happening.
I have different works to do with Trados and don't want to get crazy for Java.
It seems that different users have different problems with Java, so one solution may work for one user and not for the other.
Since I am not an informatics technician, I think SDL should post a definitive solution for all user, or at least try to implement a solution in the software that works for everybody.

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is the only working solution for all computer. SDL should have posted it, not me Feb 6, 2014

As I have said in the thread: http://tinyurl.com/q79gmuu this is the only configuration working on all computers:

Trados 2014 SP2 with Java 7 update 24 and 25.
next-generation Java Plug-in activated
Certificate revocation checks: Publisher’s certificate only.
Check for certificate revocation: Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs)

Just to give it a try to Lorenzo advi
... See more
As I have said in the thread: http://tinyurl.com/q79gmuu this is the only configuration working on all computers:

Trados 2014 SP2 with Java 7 update 24 and 25.
next-generation Java Plug-in activated
Certificate revocation checks: Publisher’s certificate only.
Check for certificate revocation: Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs)

Just to give it a try to Lorenzo advice, I made a snapshot of my virtual machine to be on the safe side, and tried to install Java 51. Before doing this I removed temporary java files and deleted all java versions from the pc.
I reeboted the system, installed java 51 and rebooted the system again.
I started trados and tried to insert a term in the termbase. Unfortunately, the termbase view remains blank, with the following error message:
"the object does not support the save method" (my translation)
url: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Common%20Files/SDL/MultiTerm11/Editor/script/connector.js

So my advice for everybody is to stick to Java version 24 and 25, because, as far as I know, those are the only versions allowing multiterm to work on every system configuration.
Luckily enough, I had made a snapshot of my system configuration, so now I have gone back to Java 20 and 25.
I am really angry with SDL, because they should be aware of such things and they should post a solution that works for everybody, not me.
Collapse

Cecília Alves
Cecília Alves  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:38
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Problem to open termbases and log on to server -- something to do with Java? Feb 6, 2014

Hi Bruno, Lorenzo and other dear fellows,

I've been reading your posts to see if they could help me solve my problem. In my case, I'm unable to open the termbases attached to translation packages and log on to the termbase server of a client in Studio 2014. I didn't have this problem in Studio 2011, though. I wonder if this problem has something to do with the Java versions in my computer (a 64-bit Windows 7), which are the 25 (64-bit) and Update 51. My client says there's nothing w
... See more
Hi Bruno, Lorenzo and other dear fellows,

I've been reading your posts to see if they could help me solve my problem. In my case, I'm unable to open the termbases attached to translation packages and log on to the termbase server of a client in Studio 2014. I didn't have this problem in Studio 2011, though. I wonder if this problem has something to do with the Java versions in my computer (a 64-bit Windows 7), which are the 25 (64-bit) and Update 51. My client says there's nothing wrong with his termbases and server, so the problem seems to be really mine. Another thing is that when I start MultiTerm 2014 a message window from Java says: "Java 10.51.2 is not installed properly", and then "The applet(s) of this HTML page require(s) a version of Java different from the one currently used by the browser...". I used to get this message too in Studio 2011 for about two months before downloading and upgrating to Studio 2014...

Oh, and last but not least, I'm not able to Check for Updates in Studio and MultiTerm 2014 due to this error message:
"Update failed. Information about the automatic update could not be downloaded. The update server may not be available. Access is forbidden." Rare, really rare...

Well, I appreciate if you can help me solve all or at least some of these problems.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Cecília Alves.
Collapse

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
delete Java 64-bits Feb 6, 2014

hi Cecilia,
the only thing I can think of is that your 64 bit version Java is somehow interfering with Studio 2014 and Multiterm 2014. I would delete it, unless you need it for some other application.
just leave Java 7.51 32 bit and see how it goes... if you still get problems, revert to Java 7.25, which is the version that comes bundled with Studio 2014.

(on the official Java download page, you hava available the off-line installers for the most recent and previous vers
... See more
hi Cecilia,
the only thing I can think of is that your 64 bit version Java is somehow interfering with Studio 2014 and Multiterm 2014. I would delete it, unless you need it for some other application.
just leave Java 7.51 32 bit and see how it goes... if you still get problems, revert to Java 7.25, which is the version that comes bundled with Studio 2014.

(on the official Java download page, you hava available the off-line installers for the most recent and previous versions of Java. they are there, although a bit difficult to find).

all these problems seem very strange for me, as they've never appeared on my system.
the CU for Studio 2014 that resolved the Java 7.45 issue was released quite quickly, so the problem with that version got fixed quickly.

and I think Oracle did put its part also with the new Java 7.51 version to resolve compatibility issues.

good luck!!
Collapse

Cecília Alves
Cecília Alves  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:38
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nothing has changed Feb 7, 2014

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for your help. Now I have Java versions 25 and 51 32-bit and SDL CU2 installed, but nothing has changed, except for the Java message when starting MultiTerm 2014 that does not appear anymore. Do you think I should have version 45 installed too, does it make any difference? I suspect the problem may be really my client's, but I receive no confirmation of it whatsoever. Here is what Studio says when I try to connect to his server: "A connection to SDL MultiTerm Serv
... See more
Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for your help. Now I have Java versions 25 and 51 32-bit and SDL CU2 installed, but nothing has changed, except for the Java message when starting MultiTerm 2014 that does not appear anymore. Do you think I should have version 45 installed too, does it make any difference? I suspect the problem may be really my client's, but I receive no confirmation of it whatsoever. Here is what Studio says when I try to connect to his server: "A connection to SDL MultiTerm Server XXX could not be established. Invalid Login Details. There was a communications or connection error. Please check your server connection settings, network and internet connections, and that the server is available." And the termbases attached to the projects appear with an "X" besides them and labeled as "Not specified". Do you happen to have any clue about that? I think I'll send a message to SDL support to see if they can help me somewhat because I don't have PSMA anymore (nor do plan to have it now...enough money spent already!).

Thanks anyway!

Best regards,
Cecília.
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved (in my case..) Feb 7, 2014

Hi everybody,
I have managed to install last java update 51.
I have deleted version 6.24 that still was on my system and deleted java temporary files (keeping java 25 on my computer).
Then, I opened Java 32 bit control panel and from there I clicked the "update" key.

I had previously also tried unistalling all java from the computer and installing it again through multiterm but in this way it didn't work.

I hope this will be helpful to others too.

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
very strange Feb 7, 2014

Cecilia Alves wrote:

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for your help. Now I have Java versions 25 and 51 32-bit and SDL CU2 installed, but nothing has changed, except for the Java message when starting MultiTerm 2014 that does not appear anymore. Do you think I should have version 45 installed too, does it make any difference? I suspect the problem may be really my client's, but I receive no confirmation of it whatsoever. Here is what Studio says when I try to connect to his server: "A connection to SDL MultiTerm Server XXX could not be established. Invalid Login Details. There was a communications or connection error. Please check your server connection settings, network and internet connections, and that the server is available." And the termbases attached to the projects appear with an "X" besides them and labeled as "Not specified". Do you happen to have any clue about that? I think I'll send a message to SDL support to see if they can help me somewhat because I don't have PSMA anymore (nor do plan to have it now...enough money spent already!).

Thanks anyway!

Best regards,
Cecília.

hi Cecilia, it looks like Bruno's solution has also worked for you, at least in what refers to adding terms to Multiterm.
I do really think that your innability to connect to your client's Termbase server is your client's culprit. or you might have something wrong in the server name or password?
sorry I can't be of anymore help. I get packages with Termbases attached, and seldomly have to connect to a remote server. it has worked when I've had to, anyway. maybe your client can send you the Termbases so you can use them offline?

good luck!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 and Java: the ultimate solution

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »