Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Resolve MultiTerm/Studio 2011/2014 add/edit term issues and run it successfully with Java 7 Up. 51
Thread poster: RWS Community
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:30
English
Feb 27, 2014

Hi

Maybe it is helpful for some users. There is a new KB article that is supposed to resolve most of the issues that you encountered in the last couple of weeks when it comes to add/edit terms.

KB article #5060:
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5060

The article seems to be hard to read but if you are not interested in what it exactly does, please make sure you read the sections that are IMPORTANT.
... See more
Hi

Maybe it is helpful for some users. There is a new KB article that is supposed to resolve most of the issues that you encountered in the last couple of weeks when it comes to add/edit terms.

KB article #5060:

The article seems to be hard to read but if you are not interested in what it exactly does, please make sure you read the sections that are IMPORTANT.

If you have done that you can find in the Resolution section the Automated workaround where you also find the link for downloading the tool that is supposed to help.

Note: The attached Editor.zip is not the tool! It is supposed to be for Windows XP users and users who follow the list of manual steps.

If it works for you I would be happy for any feedback.

If you still have issues even after using the tool, please feel free to log a Solution Finder case with as much information as possible (error message, behaviors, steps etc.)

Kind regards
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with SDL products? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Forgot to mention.... Feb 27, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Hi

KB article #5060:

This tool also will enable MultiTerm/Studio 2011 users to work with the recommended Java 7 Update 51 version (Windows XP users please read the IMPORTANT sections)

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Install update 51 before patch or after? Feb 28, 2014

I'm downloading the patch now and intend to install it shortly but would like to know whether Java update 51 needs to be installed before applying the patch or whether I should run the patch and then install the Java update.

Andy

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Java 7 Update 51 Feb 28, 2014

Hi Andrew

From the KB article:
"Only Java 7 Update 51 (32-bit) will remain on the machine. If you want/need a previous/another version installed, download it from the Oracle site: Oracle Java Archive."

Meaning, you do not need to uninstall or install anything, as the tool will uninstall ALL Java version starting with Java 1.4.2 up to the latest Java 7 Update 51 version and will perform a clean installation of Java 7 Update 51 (32bit).

It is also doing
... See more
Hi Andrew

From the KB article:
"Only Java 7 Update 51 (32-bit) will remain on the machine. If you want/need a previous/another version installed, download it from the Oracle site: Oracle Java Archive."

Meaning, you do not need to uninstall or install anything, as the tool will uninstall ALL Java version starting with Java 1.4.2 up to the latest Java 7 Update 51 version and will perform a clean installation of Java 7 Update 51 (32bit).

It is also doing the following:

-Force-close the following applications:
-- MultiTerm.exe
-- MultiTerm Widget.exe
-- SDLTradosStudio.exe
-- java.exe
-- javaw.exe
-- javaws.exe
-- jqs.exe
-- jusched.exe

-Uninstall (Oracle-) Java Runtime Engine 1.4.2 - 1.7.51
-Delete over 8000 possible Oracle Java related registry keys
-Start installation of latest Oracle Java Versions.
NOTE: At the time of writing, the latest version is Java Runtime Engine 7 Update 51.

-Delete created log files.
NOTE: These are mostly diagnostic information, for example if you do not have Java installed.

-Force-close Internet Explorer and msiexec.exe task...
--msiexec.exe
--iexplore.exe
-Delete temporary files of the following internet browsers...
--Internet Explorer
--Google Chrome
--Mozilla Firefox

-Set the Java Control Panel to always run as administrator.
NOTE: This ensures that changes made as non-administrator in the Java Control Panel are not applied and set back to a previous state. In addition, you no longer need to go to the Java installation folder and always run Javacpl.exe as administrator.

-Set Java Certification checks to speed up term adding/editing.
NOTE: Refer to KB article #5019 for more information: http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=5019&source=article&c=12&cid=23

-Enable to add/edit terms in SDL MultiTerm 2011 with the latest Java 7 Update 51 version.
NOTE: If you are a Windows XP user, see the information at the beginning of the Explanation section in KB article #5060 (http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=5060&source=article&c=12&cid=23).

- The Thanks page is displayed in your default browser. This shows if the tool went through and further information.

Regards
Richard
Collapse

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Doesn't work Feb 28, 2014

The patch seems to run properly but the problem persists in Studio 2011 on a PC running Windows 8.1.

Andy

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
... Feb 28, 2014

Dr. Andrew Frankland wrote:

The patch seems to run properly but the problem persists in Studio 2011 on a PC running Windows 8.1.

Andy

What exactly is the problem? Still blank when trying to add/edit terms? If yes, please follow the steps:

1. Close all SDL applications.
2. Download the Editor.zip archive from the KB article #5060 that you can find on the right-hand side.
3. Extract the Editor.zip archive by using WinZip (with WinZip use the Extract to here function and not Extract to folder) or similar decompressing tool.
4. Copy the extracted "Editor" folder and replace it with the Editor folder you can find here:
For 32bit OS: C:\Program Files\Common Files\SDL\MultiTerm9
For 64bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SDL\MultiTerm9

Cheers
Richard

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Solved Feb 28, 2014

Yes, that was the problem, and replacing the "editor" folder as instructed solved it.

Many thanks,

Andy

PS I renamed the previous "editor" folder just in case......

[Edited at 2014-02-28 16:55 GMT]

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 00:30
English to German
+ ...
FTP download links don't work Mar 5, 2014

Neither of the two FTP download links work for me.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
FTP site not reachlable Mar 5, 2014

Henning Holthusen wrote:

Neither of the two FTP download links work for me.

Hi Henning

There is a problem at the moment that we are trying to fix.
In the meantime you can try to download it from here:
http://goo.gl/bhblWr

Regards
Richard

Hope Farmer
Hope Farmer
Spain
German to English
+ ...
SDL: Users pay for software that works, not software that makes us work Mar 24, 2014

As of this morning I also can't add terms to my Termbase in Multiterm 2011 Desktop or via SDL Trados Studio 2011 on a Windows 7 (64bit) OS.

I have spent two hours trying to find a solution. I have NOT updated Java and I still have Version 7.25, because I already HAD the problem that Java automatically updated to 7.45 and didn't work and I had to go through a complicated and time consuming removal and reinstall of Java.

I found this article with the link to the KB artic
... See more
As of this morning I also can't add terms to my Termbase in Multiterm 2011 Desktop or via SDL Trados Studio 2011 on a Windows 7 (64bit) OS.

I have spent two hours trying to find a solution. I have NOT updated Java and I still have Version 7.25, because I already HAD the problem that Java automatically updated to 7.45 and didn't work and I had to go through a complicated and time consuming removal and reinstall of Java.

I found this article with the link to the KB article. Since I have no idea if this will help me or not and looking at the complexity of the possible solutions that SDL is offering, I am not going to try it. I have WORK TO DO!!!!!!! (This all makes me ill.)

SDL charges a lot of money for its software and then when a new Java version comes out *poof* it doesn't work. Then SDL comes out with a "fix" which is FAR TOO COMPLICATED AND TECHNICAL!

SDL people: Why doesn't SDL simply fix it's own software so that it recognizes different Java versions and loads the correct version of its own products? Then the automatic updates of SDL in the SDL software would be enough to fix (and avoid) all of these problems! (Granted, this would require a little more effort from your software developers, but we, the users, are actually paying to have software that WORKS, not software that makes US work!!!!)

In any case, the lack of communication with users (I had to hunt for quite a while to find THIS thread and, as I said, I still have no idea if this IS my issue -- but I do not have any more time to troubleshoot SDL's product errors!!!!!!), the sheer complexity of so-called "fixes" and the frequency of such errors is really shocking.

No wonder so many of my colleagues are choosing other software solutions. I would also recommend other tools to new translators as SDL tools are too complicated to learn, use, maintain and (constantly) fix.
Collapse

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Stored but doesn't appear in Terminology window Mar 25, 2014

I'm running Studio 2014 on a Windows 8.1 machine and have Java 7 update 51.

I was originally having different error messages, something about read and write access on protected memory or similar and issues where Studio completely crashed and I could only close it with the Ctrl Alt Delete function.

I have deinstalled everything java, tried with jave update 25 which used to work. Followed the instructions outlined here and have not downloaded and replaced the editor file
... See more
I'm running Studio 2014 on a Windows 8.1 machine and have Java 7 update 51.

I was originally having different error messages, something about read and write access on protected memory or similar and issues where Studio completely crashed and I could only close it with the Ctrl Alt Delete function.

I have deinstalled everything java, tried with jave update 25 which used to work. Followed the instructions outlined here and have not downloaded and replaced the editor file.

I can now enter a term and store it but it doesn't show up in the terminology window. If I search for the term in the termbank it shows up.

So what do I do next?

Hmm, I've just tried to alter a word in the text before the one stored in the termbank and the studio froze and crashed again! Have had to close it with Ctrl Alt Delete. The process was named as inactive.

[Edited at 2014-03-25 09:32 GMT]
Collapse

Hope Farmer
Hope Farmer
Spain
German to English
+ ...
SDL very proactive! Mar 27, 2014

I posted on this thread and only a few hours later SDL called me. I had an hour-long online session with a very professional and friendly person from SDL who spent an hour fiddling with my system. Now I can add and edit terms! Yay!

There is a minor issue still left over, which looks like this: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4645. But it was not resolved by changing the Java security setting
... See more
I posted on this thread and only a few hours later SDL called me. I had an hour-long online session with a very professional and friendly person from SDL who spent an hour fiddling with my system. Now I can add and edit terms! Yay!

There is a minor issue still left over, which looks like this: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4645. But it was not resolved by changing the Java security setting - yet. I have been in constant contact with SDL and I am sure that we can fix this -- as soon as I have some time.

SDL gets points for being proactive, responding to my posting and for the staff member who has been helping me.

It did take their support person an hour to (almost) fix this. I can't imagine how long it would have taken me nor how many other people have spent hours and hours on this or similar "fixes". I guess this is the "cost" of being a translator that uses a CAT tool.

In any case, I want to say: THANK YOU, SDL SUPPORT TEAM.
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:30
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Please SDL call me too Apr 12, 2014

I purchased Studio 2011 in 2012 and I don't think I have ever been able to work with MultiTerm. I just put up with the lack of this terminology tool and usually use Wordfast Pro for all my translations - even when clients send me sdlflixx and project files I process everything in Wordfast. But I am tired of creating work-arounds for software that costed me $650 and does not work. I also purchased a $40 independent manual, but the info does not apply to this java issue.

I have read v
... See more
I purchased Studio 2011 in 2012 and I don't think I have ever been able to work with MultiTerm. I just put up with the lack of this terminology tool and usually use Wordfast Pro for all my translations - even when clients send me sdlflixx and project files I process everything in Wordfast. But I am tired of creating work-arounds for software that costed me $650 and does not work. I also purchased a $40 independent manual, but the info does not apply to this java issue.

I have read various posts, uninstalled Java 51, installed version 40, uninstalled it, installed it from within MultiTerm, read some more posts. Currently I am working from http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5060
and I am stuck at the puzzling instruction without further info to "delete over 8000 possible Oracle Java related registry keys." Is this supposed to make us feel stupid - as if everyone is deleting thousands of registry keys on a daily basis?

I have given up here and would really like it if someone from SDL tinkers with my pc to make MultiTerm work too. Please contact me via www.turn-a-phrase.com

Update: I ran the automated workaround Client-MTJUR.zip and my screen flickered 8000+ times. It installed java again and must have deleted those registry entries, but after that I see no difference in using MultiTerm. The function just does not seem to respond with any functionality when I select to enter a term. I am not getting any error messages either. It's just not doing anything.

[Edited at 2014-04-12 16:45 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe try this... Apr 12, 2014

... last thing that I have seen resolve the problem after running the tool. Go to your Windows Control Panel and open the Java (32-bit) program. Go to the security tab and lower it to Medium. Mine is set to high and MultiTerm works fine, but I did see this the day before yesterday where lowering this after running the tool helped the user successfully.

Let me know if it does the trick. If you are using Win 8 (you didn't say) you might have to lower your UAC controls as Win 8 se
... See more
... last thing that I have seen resolve the problem after running the tool. Go to your Windows Control Panel and open the Java (32-bit) program. Go to the security tab and lower it to Medium. Mine is set to high and MultiTerm works fine, but I did see this the day before yesterday where lowering this after running the tool helped the user successfully.

Let me know if it does the trick. If you are using Win 8 (you didn't say) you might have to lower your UAC controls as Win 8 seems to have this habit of prompting you to accept some Java changes that then reset things so they don’t work again. Let me how you get on anyway.

If that still fails then don't wait for someone to call you. You can log a case specifically about Java issues and an Engineer will get back to you at the beginning of the week.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here;

JAVA related issues with SDL MultiTerm
- I have SDL MultiTerm 2011/2014
-- I can no longer add or edit terms, or I get an error message when adding or editing terms
--- I have read the article and followed the instructions but I still have a problem

Pick the correct route as above and you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

Also make sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:30
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
That seems to work... to some extent Apr 12, 2014

Thank you Paul for your suggestion. The java-setting is now medium (the lowest setting).
I quit and restarted Studio 2011 and when I used "Add new term", two dialogues popped up:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_MdQQSTBEBPM016Y3VVRy13YTg/edit?usp=sharing

I allowed them both, and I was finally able to add terms to the termbase
... See more
Thank you Paul for your suggestion. The java-setting is now medium (the lowest setting).
I quit and restarted Studio 2011 and when I used "Add new term", two dialogues popped up:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_MdQQSTBEBPM016Y3VVRy13YTg/edit?usp=sharing

I allowed them both, and I was finally able to add terms to the termbase. I don't think everything works as it should, however. The dialog boxes pop up for every single term I am adding or editing. Do you have a suggestion for how to make this a permanent permission?

I may use the procedure you suggest for more trouble shooting. I was under the impression that, since I never purchased any service package from SDL, I would be out of luck getting any help using that route.

I am using Windows 7 home premium btw, with Studio 2011 SP 2R - 10.4.3109.2 and MultiTerm 2011 SP2 - 9.2.3610

[Edited at 2014-04-12 18:06 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resolve MultiTerm/Studio 2011/2014 add/edit term issues and run it successfully with Java 7 Up. 51

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »