Thread poster: Worder Company
Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:58
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2014

I am pre-reading a source and need to place a couple of comments in the source in trados 2014. Is there any way to do that?

Naturally, I can add a term, so that I will get a term look-up, when working in the relevant segment, but I have an extensive termbase -- seriously cluttered -- so I am bound not to get this message at once.

P.S.

I am pre-reading large portions of text (ca 20 pages), so making up a list would not do.

It is not feasible
... See more
I am pre-reading a source and need to place a couple of comments in the source in trados 2014. Is there any way to do that?

Naturally, I can add a term, so that I will get a term look-up, when working in the relevant segment, but I have an extensive termbase -- seriously cluttered -- so I am bound not to get this message at once.

P.S.

I am pre-reading large portions of text (ca 20 pages), so making up a list would not do.

It is not feasible to just write a comment in the target, since an average segment contains ca 500 symbols.
Collapse

merinber (X)
merinber (X)
Germany
Local time: 20:58
German to English
Comments in source Apr 15, 2014

That would be a nice feature, but, to my knowledge, it doesn't exist. I suppose you could make comments for the entire file and then write something like #5 - Inncorrect use of word. #5 would refer to the segment nnumber.
Definitely not elegant, but better than nothing(?)

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Comments in source docs Apr 15, 2014

I know you're not exactly asking this, but if you have the original file, you can add a comment and Studio will process it.

If it's a docx file, go to tools>options>filetypes>Word 2007-2013>Common and select "Extract comments as Studio comments" (so they don't show as translatable segments).

HTH,
Emma

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I guess... Apr 15, 2014

... you could also open the file without a TM for pre-reading, copy source to target, and then put your comments into the target. Finally when you are prepared for translation save the target with the comments (assuming this is a Word file of course as this won't work with anything else) and then open the file again in the proper translation project using the method Emma suggested.

Regards

Paul

Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:58
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Emma and Suppor Apr 17, 2014

I am not sure that any of these methods would be feasiable in the considered case.

Because:

a) I have an extensive termbase and I need to look up the terms "as I go". When I would like to translate a particular term differently from the termbase entry -- in a particular case -- I would like to remember about it, when I am translating this particular segment. So, no point in working on the word prior to uploading it in trados.

b) I would not want to have
... See more
I am not sure that any of these methods would be feasiable in the considered case.

Because:

a) I have an extensive termbase and I need to look up the terms "as I go". When I would like to translate a particular term differently from the termbase entry -- in a particular case -- I would like to remember about it, when I am translating this particular segment. So, no point in working on the word prior to uploading it in trados.

b) I would not want to have the targets saved with comments in them, since it would clutter my TM results window. I have an extremely large monitor -- your TV-set from a couple of years before -- and I have separate windows for editor, termbase + some other windows opened. This means that I have to have a minimum possible TM results window. If I have to a larger TM it would be very incovenient. I would have to have a larger TM, since the first results would be yours. And -- here comes the fun -- I might have several 100% matches in the TM and trados might not always place thus created result on the top, since I have 1 000 000 real TM and 3 000 000 pseudo TM in place...

So, to bottom line this discussion -- why would you not have a tool to comment your originals???

P.S.

I regularly have to comment the originals for the author to answer my questions. The author does not speak the targets language, so I have to open the original word, place a comment there, make a list of comments, get the answers from the author and do the work in trados. I would be so much easier -- just to send the editor's bilingual version to the author and get the results from him with comments uploaded in trados...
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why don't you use the... Apr 17, 2014

... Export for External Review then. Your comments will be in the same document as the source and target segments and if the author adds their comments they will be brought back into the sdlxliff for you to see while you are translating.

This is a neat method because it works for every single filetype that is supported in Studio.

It might not be exactly what you want, but it might be useful for you until we have
... See more
... Export for External Review then. Your comments will be in the same document as the source and target segments and if the author adds their comments they will be brought back into the sdlxliff for you to see while you are translating.

This is a neat method because it works for every single filetype that is supported in Studio.

It might not be exactly what you want, but it might be useful for you until we have something more.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to place a comment in source in Trados 2014

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »