Does TRADOS support simultaneous work?
Thread poster: Jeff_Nguyen
Jeff_Nguyen
Jeff_Nguyen
Vietnam
Local time: 21:47
Apr 16, 2014

Hi all,

My TRADOS version is SDL Trados Studio 2014 Professional - 11.0.3709.0, and I mainly work with xml files (sometimes Java properties files)

My question is: if 2 or more people are working on the same project (without knowing this fact, as I put many TRADOS projects on our company's internal LAN network and people just go there and translate), does TRADOS offer real time updates so that they will not overlap each other work? Or is there a way that TRADOS can preve
... See more
Hi all,

My TRADOS version is SDL Trados Studio 2014 Professional - 11.0.3709.0, and I mainly work with xml files (sometimes Java properties files)

My question is: if 2 or more people are working on the same project (without knowing this fact, as I put many TRADOS projects on our company's internal LAN network and people just go there and translate), does TRADOS offer real time updates so that they will not overlap each other work? Or is there a way that TRADOS can prevent 2 users at the same time do not overlap each other's work?

For example like in Google Docs, you can see in real time what other people are doing on the document so that you can avoid doing the same thing.

A more high-level question on this issue would be: How does TRADOS support teamwork environment as in this case? Again as I mentioned I put all the projects that need to be translated to our internal LAN network, then people just translate directly there, so there would be a case when 2 people will translate the same thing.

Thank you very much, I hope my question is clear enough I'm looking forward to your advice soon

BR,
Jeff
Collapse

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:47
English to Italian
Information Apr 16, 2014

Hello
I am from SDL.
If you are sharing the same document through network:

- The translation memory would get updated. You would see instantly the 100% matches that the other person used. There is time a delay on the fuzzy matches as there is an index that would get refreshed every approximately 30 minutes. So basically you would get the other person matches.

- The Bilingual file: this would not be updated at the same time - so you would not see the other pe
... See more
Hello
I am from SDL.
If you are sharing the same document through network:

- The translation memory would get updated. You would see instantly the 100% matches that the other person used. There is time a delay on the fuzzy matches as there is an index that would get refreshed every approximately 30 minutes. So basically you would get the other person matches.

- The Bilingual file: this would not be updated at the same time - so you would not see the other person input.

You could share files on a folder among 2-3 people. For more we would recommend Server solution as it would be the most efficient way to share TMs and Terminology.

We do have GroupShare as a way to fully share files and work in real time. This would enable instant collaboration and working on shared TMs and files.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Massi
Collapse

Jeff_Nguyen
Jeff_Nguyen
Vietnam
TOPIC STARTER
GroupShare inquiry Apr 16, 2014

Thank you very much Massi.

I'm inquiring my local TRADOS vendor about the Server solution and GroupShare you just mentioned. However, I'd also be very appreciated if you have a detailed document or a demo of GroupShare, so that I can see how it can solve my below problem (because I'd really like to know what does "instant" mean, I visualize it the same as Google Docs). Thank you very much.

BR,
Jeff

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:47
English to Italian
Info Apr 16, 2014

Hello Jeff
I will send to our reseller manager to make sure someone follows up.
Regards
Massi

Jeff_Nguyen
Jeff_Nguyen
Vietnam
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot work on the same file at the same time Apr 17, 2014

Now I don't think we can use TRADOS to work on the same file at all. If 2 people work on the same file at the same time, the person who saves later will overwrite the 1st person's work.

Is there really nothing we can do with TRADOS in this case?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:47
English
The only way... Apr 17, 2014

... in this scenario is to either split the file or manage the work by telling Translator #1 to work on only segments 1-500, Translator #2 to work on 501-1000 etc.

Neither Studio nor GroupShare are designed for simultaneously working on the same file at the same time.

Regards

Paul

Jeff_Nguyen
Jeff_Nguyen
Vietnam
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Apr 18, 2014

Thanks for your answer Paul, I will try another approach then.

Have a nice day

Thanks,
Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does TRADOS support simultaneous work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »