Local time: 10:52
English to French
Apr 17, 2014

Hi all,

the context is :

. using SDL Trados 2007
. working in a pretranslated document
. having a TM with all segments already translated

We I open a segment, Trados says "New translation unit!" or "Different unit in TM", as the pretranslated target segment differs from the translation unit in TM. Therefore I have to use the "Get" command for every segment. In a 200 page doc, this is long.

Is there a way to force the "Get" command o
... See more
Hi all,

the context is :

. using SDL Trados 2007
. working in a pretranslated document
. having a TM with all segments already translated

We I open a segment, Trados says "New translation unit!" or "Different unit in TM", as the pretranslated target segment differs from the translation unit in TM. Therefore I have to use the "Get" command for every segment. In a 200 page doc, this is long.

Is there a way to force the "Get" command on opening a segment, or to have the document automatically translated based on what is in the TM, from a pretranslated doc (we do not have access to unilingual source doc)?

Thank you very much in anticipation,
Mathieu
Collapse

Mariusz Duchiński
Mariusz Duchiński  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Use this Apr 17, 2014

Hi Mathieu,

Use Shift+Alt+Insert after opening the segment. It's a shortcut for Get.
You can also pretranslate the document using Tools > Translate.

Mariusz

Holger Remke
Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
"Update Document" in the Clean-up dialogue Apr 17, 2014

Hi Mathieu,

when I understand correctly you would like to update the pretranslated document with the content of the TM. You could try to clean the pretranslated document with the activated checkbox "Update Document" in the Clean-up dialogue of Trados Workbench (in the section "Changed translations").
Hope this works!

Best regards,
Holger

Mathieu Jacquet
Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Apr 17, 2014

@Holger: The thing is that we are supposed to deliver a bilingual unclean doc, not a clean one...

@Mariusz: we would like to avoid the opening/get step, and have the existing translation override the pretranslation at opening, to be able to use the "Translate fo Fuzzy command".

As for pretranslating, can you "pretranslate" an already pretranslated doc? We do not have access to the source document.

Cheers,
Mathieu.

Mariusz Duchiński
Mariusz Duchiński  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
"pretranslate" Apr 17, 2014

I think it is possible to pretranslate a translated dokument, you only need to check "Update document" box in the "Translate" window.

Try it.

HTH
Mariusz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Force "Get" command on pretranslated units

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »