Thread poster: Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:00
English to French
Apr 24, 2014

Dear all,

I have the following error in SDLX: "Runtime Error Program: C/:Progra~1\sdlint~1\S42subset.exe. Abnormal program termination."

The SDL very expensive support has been unable to fix it for the past 2 weeks! I first worked with a technician that left on holiday for 2 weeks and we knew nothing and inserted a virus on my PC.

The second doesn't respect the hours we schedule to do a remote session. For example, we were supposed to start at 11am this mor
... See more
Dear all,

I have the following error in SDLX: "Runtime Error Program: C/:Progra~1\sdlint~1\S42subset.exe. Abnormal program termination."

The SDL very expensive support has been unable to fix it for the past 2 weeks! I first worked with a technician that left on holiday for 2 weeks and we knew nothing and inserted a virus on my PC.

The second doesn't respect the hours we schedule to do a remote session. For example, we were supposed to start at 11am this morning, at 1pm he told he couldn't because he was in charge of other customers. Then, he came for one hour and left because it was 6:30pm in Romania and he had to leave.

What should I do?

Thanks a lot!

Nathalie
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:00
German to Swedish
+ ...
Don't Apr 24, 2014

Nathalie Suteau wrote:

What should I do?

Don't use Trados?

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Useless comment? Apr 24, 2014

Joakim Braun wrote:

Nathalie Suteau wrote:

What should I do?

Don't use Trados?

Considering that Nathalie's issue is with SDLX (and not with Trados), this comment is less than helpful.

Also, I believe that SDLX (and Trados 2007) are no longer supported (as far as I know SDL supports only the last couple of versions of their programs, like most software vendors), but I might be wrong about that.

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Do you have a phone number you can call? Apr 24, 2014

I used to be a paying customer of SDL support. I had a support case that I felt at the time had not been handled as I would have expected.

Following that, I contacted SDL and told them that I had not been satisfied with the service. If I remember correctly (it was a few years ago), part of the answer was that I had been given a support phone number, which I should or could have used in the circumstances, but hadn't, so, reading between the lines, I was partly responsible for the fac
... See more
I used to be a paying customer of SDL support. I had a support case that I felt at the time had not been handled as I would have expected.

Following that, I contacted SDL and told them that I had not been satisfied with the service. If I remember correctly (it was a few years ago), part of the answer was that I had been given a support phone number, which I should or could have used in the circumstances, but hadn't, so, reading between the lines, I was partly responsible for the fact that the paid support system had not worked as it should have.

I don't know if the SDL support system still works in the same way, but I do think that you should check to see whether you have a support hotline number/phone number, and if you do, call it and explain the difficulties you are having.

I've been a great fan of Trados for many years and am currently enjoying using Studio 2014. I just don't pay for the support any more, not only because I was disappointed by the support system in the past, but also because I find that the more recent versions of the software tend to be far more reliable and stable than previous versions.

Try to phone the support service if you can find a number. Good luck!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
An update Apr 24, 2014

Hi,

I wanted to note that all supported customers do have an escalation procedure they can follow, so if the service is not good enough for some reason the best way forward is to use the escalation route rather than let things get so bad that your ability to work suffers. This is what paid support is for.

Please don't read incorrectly between the lines because we would in no way blame the customer for not escalating the case. All processes we have in place should of c
... See more
Hi,

I wanted to note that all supported customers do have an escalation procedure they can follow, so if the service is not good enough for some reason the best way forward is to use the escalation route rather than let things get so bad that your ability to work suffers. This is what paid support is for.

Please don't read incorrectly between the lines because we would in no way blame the customer for not escalating the case. All processes we have in place should of course work well all of the time, but with the best will in the world we can drop the ball. So it's always a good idea to familiarise yourselves with the options you have available for the support contract you pay for just in case this happens. The escalation procedure will alert every support manager we have as well as a few other interested individuals, so if things do go awry following this process will ensure you get your issue resolved with the utmost haste.

I would also add that I believe Nathalie has escalated this as well and an appointment has been made to look at this issue with an experienced SDLX engineer.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Apr 24, 2014

Thanks a lot to all of you.

I escalated tonight and I'm now in contact with a senior engineer that is going to launch a remote session tomorrow.

The level 1 engineers have blocked my work for the past two weeks, launching remote sessions on one computer than on the other.

I could have worked with Studio 2014 but my client (SDL) prevented me to do so. Time to stop working for SDL, I only use SDLX with them.

Thanks again for your support.
<
... See more
Thanks a lot to all of you.

I escalated tonight and I'm now in contact with a senior engineer that is going to launch a remote session tomorrow.

The level 1 engineers have blocked my work for the past two weeks, launching remote sessions on one computer than on the other.

I could have worked with Studio 2014 but my client (SDL) prevented me to do so. Time to stop working for SDL, I only use SDLX with them.

Nathalie
Collapse

sschmandt
sschmandt
Japanese to English
SDL does not fix their bugs if you don't pay extra? Apr 27, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Paul

Paul, I have a bit of sympathy about expecting people to pay for education about how to use a product. However this error is a program bug. As a new Trados user I'm pretty shocked to see that even for cases like this SDL provides no direct support interface unless you pay for it. I am pretty shocked. I would expect that you would certainly stand by your product in any case and paid support would get better service. But correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't seem to ANY free support at all, even to report program crashes and other bugs which are 100% coding errors.

No user error should EVER cause a runtime error. That is absolutely without a doubt a software engineering error, a bug in SDL's code. The program crashed!!!

Are you really telling me that SDL does not stand by their product to fix a program crash unless you pay extra?

"Runtime Error Program: C/:Progra~1\sdlint~1\S42subset.exe. Abnormal program termination."

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Getting Support Apr 27, 2014

Dear sschmandt,

You seem to have done a good job of putting two and two together and coming up with five!

I didn't say there was no support for a program error like this at all. I merely clarified that supported customers do have an escalation process if the response time is not within the agreed timescales, or even if it's a more business critical issue than we would know based on the problem description alone.

We have a process in place for all customers
... See more
Dear sschmandt,

You seem to have done a good job of putting two and two together and coming up with five!

I didn't say there was no support for a program error like this at all. I merely clarified that supported customers do have an escalation process if the response time is not within the agreed timescales, or even if it's a more business critical issue than we would know based on the problem description alone.

We have a process in place for all customers to be able to log a case if the program fails to install, can't be licensed, or won't run after installation. It's called the Solution Finder and you'll find it here: http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf

Regards

Paul
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It got me so confused Apr 27, 2014

Nathalie Suteau wrote:

Nathalie

Did you say that your client is SDL, which prevents you from using Studio 2014? Isn't it true that SDL is the owner of SDLTrados Studio 2014? Isn't it true that this guy with the ID of SDL support part of the SDL who is your client and who prevents you from using Studio?

This is beyond my understanding.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Things are not always straightforward... Apr 27, 2014

Hi,

I don't know the ins and outs of who Nathalie is working for, but SDL also owns SDL TMS. This is a workflow solution for high volume projects used by many large customers around the world and it was originally built around the use of SDLX as the desktop client, and it produced ITD bilingual filetypes.

I believe that for some projects, and for some filetypes, ITD files are still being used and so is SDLX. In my opinion Studio could be used for this, and if you are
... See more
Hi,

I don't know the ins and outs of who Nathalie is working for, but SDL also owns SDL TMS. This is a workflow solution for high volume projects used by many large customers around the world and it was originally built around the use of SDLX as the desktop client, and it produced ITD bilingual filetypes.

I believe that for some projects, and for some filetypes, ITD files are still being used and so is SDLX. In my opinion Studio could be used for this, and if you are careful to make sure you have the right settings then the colour statuses used by SDLX are maintained... and I believe this is the thing most SDLX users are concerned about.

But it could be that some offices, for some clients, continue to work with SDLX and try to avoid any additional work that might be created for them as a result of not working with the right settings in Studio.

Certainly as a company SDL have been rolling out the use of Studio for as much work as possible, particularly through the use of SDL GroupShare. Certainly we have many Beta testers who are also vendors translating for SDL and they all use Studio in preference to SDLX today.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your posts Apr 27, 2014

I was thinking about using Studio 2014 to translate ITDs instead of SDLX as the support as still not been able to solve my issue but it seems to be a very tedious task when the number of ITDs is very high. I'm going to post something about this issue in another thread.

I work with SDL France and they use GroupShare but i only bought Studio 2014 a couple of weeks ago to have access to the support and I have no idea if they offer projects through GroupShare. I used to work a lot with
... See more
I was thinking about using Studio 2014 to translate ITDs instead of SDLX as the support as still not been able to solve my issue but it seems to be a very tedious task when the number of ITDs is very high. I'm going to post something about this issue in another thread.

I work with SDL France and they use GroupShare but i only bought Studio 2014 a couple of weeks ago to have access to the support and I have no idea if they offer projects through GroupShare. I used to work a lot with SDL but their rates are very low now so I'm avoiding them.

But I need SDLX for other clients.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL (expensive) support completely useless

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »