MultiTerm/Studio 2011 add/edit term problem after installing CU13 or latest Java Update
Thread poster: RWS Community
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:54
English
Apr 29, 2014

Hi

As I can see a lot of users are struggling with the add/edit function after the Cumulative Update 13.
The CU13 delivered "...fixes for Java-related issues (same fixes as included in Studio 2014). These fixes enable you to edit terms in Studio and MultiTerm 2011 even after installing Java 7 Update 45 or later. You can also use Java 8 without having to lower security settings."

Meaning, you can use the latest Java version that includes the security fixes w
... See more
Hi

As I can see a lot of users are struggling with the add/edit function after the Cumulative Update 13.
The CU13 delivered "...fixes for Java-related issues (same fixes as included in Studio 2014). These fixes enable you to edit terms in Studio and MultiTerm 2011 even after installing Java 7 Update 45 or later. You can also use Java 8 without having to lower security settings."

Meaning, you can use the latest Java version that includes the security fixes with the applet that is used in MultiTerm/Studio 2011.

To start fresh, without the JAVA related installation issues you can do a clean installation (remove and install) of Java.

To make it a bit easier there is a similar tool like in the KB #5060 that I wrote.
Please note...that the tool was not checked by our development and is rather used by myself to faster get rid of Java and thousands of Java registry keys.

The 'CleanJava.exe' Tool that I created will uninstall ALL Java version that are installed on your PC and will install the latest Java 8 Update 5 version.

Note:

• Make sure you have enough rights on your PC (including User Account Control)
  • It is uninstalling ALL Java version on the system currently installed
  • It will only install the latest Java 8 Update 5 version
  • If you need a previous version of Java to work with Studio/MultiTerm 2009 run either the installer of those versions or execute the Java installation directly from the C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\modules folder.

You can download the tool from here:
ftp://support_downloads:[email protected]/Richard/Client-MTJUR/CleanJava.zip

When it is downloaded, unzip the package with WinZip or WinRAR.
After it is extracted do a right-click on the CleanJava.exe and choose "Run as Administrator".
Note: Please close all the SDL applications that are still open before-hand.

You will see several dialogs popping up (please do not get scared) as it is just the routine of finding and uninstalling the Java versions. Afterwards a dialog will pop-up, will install Java 8 Update 5 and when this is finished click on Close.

Preferable restart your PC but you can try first to add/edit terms again.

IF you still have problems, feel free to log a Solution Finder case at http://kb.sdl.com and our support team will try to help you.

Kind regards
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with SDL products? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P

[Edited at 2014-04-29 11:28 GMT]
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Not able to enter terms in Multiterm 2011 May 2, 2014

Hi Paul,

I just followed the instructions you laid out here. And I now only have Java Version 8 Update 5 (Build 1.8.0_05-b13) installed on my system (Windows 8.1). Unfortunately I can neither enter terms in Multiterm (Studio 2011 SP2R - 10.4.3123.2) nor can I open the web form in SDL's Solution Finder (Firefox 29.0 with freshly emptied cache).

What am I supposed to do to be able to enter terms in Multiterm again?

Best regards,

Stefanie

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Try Chrome... May 2, 2014

... other browsers are unreliable when used with our support system. Chrome works every time for me.

Or... drop me an email with your contact details and I'll fill the form out for you.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Finder May 2, 2014

Hi Stefanie

I logged a Solution Finder case with your email.

Regards
Richard

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Remote Session.... May 2, 2014

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:

Hi Paul,

I just followed the instructions you laid out here. And I now only have Java Version 8 Update 5 (Build 1.8.0_05-b13) installed on my system (Windows 8.1). Unfortunately I can neither enter terms in Multiterm (Studio 2011 SP2R - 10.4.3123.2) nor can I open the web form in SDL's Solution Finder (Firefox 29.0 with freshly emptied cache).

What am I supposed to do to be able to enter terms in Multiterm again?

Best regards,

Stefanie

Hi Stefanie, I created a Solution Finder case and already sent you an Remote Session inviation. If you not manage to join today, just reply to the E-Mail I sent to you. Then we can arrange a time/date for a session to sort out the problems.

Regards
Richard

Mirjam Spekking
Mirjam Spekking  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
similar problems with adding terms in Multiterm May 5, 2014

I tried the solution you recommended (I wrote in another thread, called http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/267781-java_7_update_55_build_170_55_b13_problems_with_multiterm.html

however, to no avail.

I have SDL 2011, latest updates and service packs, Windows 7, and now I have java 8 updat
... See more
I tried the solution you recommended (I wrote in another thread, called http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/267781-java_7_update_55_build_170_55_b13_problems_with_multiterm.html

however, to no avail.

I have SDL 2011, latest updates and service packs, Windows 7, and now I have java 8 update 5.

I still have to click ok in two windows before I can enter an entry in MultiTerm. However, I do not know how to enter a support ticket, because I cannot see the form I have to use...

Could you please help me out with this?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
SF Case... May 5, 2014

Mirjam Spekking wrote:

however, to no avail.

I have SDL 2011, latest updates and service packs, Windows 7, and now I have java 8 update 5.

I still have to click ok in two windows before I can enter an entry in MultiTerm. However, I do not know how to enter a support ticket, because I cannot see the form I have to use...

Could you please help me out with this?

Hi Mirjam

I created a Solution Finder case on your behalf. A support engineer will get in contact with you.

Regards
Richard

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Solution May 6, 2014

Thank you once again, Richard, for helping me in the remote session just now!

A brief summary for everybody with the same problem: Ticking the control box for "Java-Content im Browser aktivieren" (something like "Activate Java content in browser") in Java Control Panel (above the slider for choosing the security level) does the trick! I can now enter terms in Multiterm again!

Thank you,

Stefanie

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Stefanie, I created a Solution Finder case and already sent you an Remote Session inviation. If you not manage to join today, just reply to the E-Mail I sent to you. Then we can arrange a time/date for a session to sort out the problems.

Regards
Richard

Mirjam Spekking
Mirjam Spekking  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Solution to adding terms plus new grave problem, unable to import!! May 26, 2014

Hi all,

Thanks to Richard I also had a remote session with somebody from the SDL Trados team, for which I thank you.

At first it seemed everything worked beautifully. I could add terms again.

However, another problem arose afterwards, which I noticed immediately afterwards. However, the gravity of it became clear only a few days later!

I now am unable to import data files!

When I click the catalog view, nothing is shown. I do not
... See more
Hi all,

Thanks to Richard I also had a remote session with somebody from the SDL Trados team, for which I thank you.

At first it seemed everything worked beautifully. I could add terms again.

However, another problem arose afterwards, which I noticed immediately afterwards. However, the gravity of it became clear only a few days later!

I now am unable to import data files!

When I click the catalog view, nothing is shown. I do not see the tree view anymore and I cannot import entries or data files anymore. I can still add single entries while I am translating but importing files I get sent from my clients is impossible now.

Please help!!! It seems as if some functionality was switched off together with the system demanding the new Java.

For my work, this is even worse. I would greatly appreciate your help in this!

Kind regards,

Mirjam
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sure it's a stupid question... May 26, 2014

... but is the navigation pane (where the tree should be) expanded or minimised? maybe it's as simple as clicking on the two little arrows to expand it and see the view?

Regards

Paul

Stefanie Ettinger (X)
Stefanie Ettinger (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:54
English to German
+ ...
Also having issues with adding/editing terms as well as logging a Solution Finder case Jun 7, 2014

Hi there,

this is the first time I am using this forum but it seems to be my last resort.

I have also experienced the problems described above, downloaded and used the tool to remove all old Java versions and only install Version 8 Update 5, but instead I ended up with Version 7 Update 51. I updated this to Version 7 Update 55 to see if it would make any difference but it didn't.

I do not understand why the tool did not install the correct Java version on
... See more
Hi there,

this is the first time I am using this forum but it seems to be my last resort.

I have also experienced the problems described above, downloaded and used the tool to remove all old Java versions and only install Version 8 Update 5, but instead I ended up with Version 7 Update 51. I updated this to Version 7 Update 55 to see if it would make any difference but it didn't.

I do not understand why the tool did not install the correct Java version on my computer as it was supposed to be doing.

To make matters worse, I am unable to log a Solution Finder on the KB page. I have tried using Google Chrome with the pop-up blocker disabled, Firefox and IE but it does not work in any of the browsers.

Since I have no other idea of how to get in contact with SDL, I am hoping that someone will read my message on this forum and get back to me.

Many thanks in advance,

Steffi
Collapse

roderick_c
roderick_c  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
Solution to MultiTerm 2009 edit problem? Oct 23, 2014

The problem on my computer started when I updated Java to Java 8. Both Studio 2011 and MultiTerm 2009 had functioned beforehand using Java 7, but since I was unaware of any potential problems, I cannot say whether other, older versions were also on my computer. (Java generally advises deleting/cleaning up older versions)

I then spent a good 2 hours with the SDL Support Team trying to find a solution to this vexing problem with MultiTerm 2009/2011, without a satisfactory solution bei
... See more
The problem on my computer started when I updated Java to Java 8. Both Studio 2011 and MultiTerm 2009 had functioned beforehand using Java 7, but since I was unaware of any potential problems, I cannot say whether other, older versions were also on my computer. (Java generally advises deleting/cleaning up older versions)

I then spent a good 2 hours with the SDL Support Team trying to find a solution to this vexing problem with MultiTerm 2009/2011, without a satisfactory solution being found

The problem seems to be the following. Multiterm 2009/2011 is configured with Java 6 (On my computer under C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\Installers\SDLMultiTerm2009SP1\modules\jre-6u14-windows-i586.exe).

This means that there could be potential compatibility problems with later versions of Java, in particular Java 8, where the security settings are a notch higher than with Java 7.

The SDL Team Support tried many options and occasionally MultiTerm seemed to function, particularly after Java 8 had been uninstalled. Afterwards this induced me to try the following:

I uninstalled Java 8, leaving Java 7 on the computer. This did not solve the problem.

I then went to the above address and re-installed Java 6 (1.6.0_14, 24, and 26 - whether all of these are necessary I don't know). I now have Java 6 (3 updates) and Java 7 (1.7.0_71) installed with the MEDIUM security level.

Hey presto! - Studio 2011 and Multiterm now functioned as before.

I could also restore functionality to other programs on Firefox by installing the relevant plug-in.

I consider this solution to be extremely unsatisfactory, but for my translating work it was an enormous relief to have a functioning MultiTerm & Studio.

The problem is that SDL 2009/2011 programs are just not compatible with newer Java versions and that SDL should update these versions to conform with newer security standards. I would find the idea abhorrent, if SDL would argue that the latest SDL programs accommodate these problems (buy! buy! buy!) without offering a solution to older software.

I hope this helps all fellow sufferers of this time-consuming problem

Rod Chuck

[Edited at 2014-10-23 13:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-23 13:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-23 13:40 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm/Studio 2011 add/edit term problem after installing CU13 or latest Java Update

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »