Studio 2014: problem with html files
Thread poster: Cesar Reyna
Cesar Reyna
Cesar Reyna
Peru
Local time: 01:22
English to Spanish
May 5, 2014

Hello. I need to translate this html text.

<FONT SIZE="28" COLOR="#FFFFFF">< Two Lumens per Square Foot</FONT>

In SDL 2011 the text shows correctly:
< Two Lumens per Square Foot

... See more
Hello. I need to translate this html text.

<FONT SIZE="28" COLOR="#FFFFFF">< Two Lumens per Square Foot</FONT>

In SDL 2011 the text shows correctly:
< Two Lumens per Square Foot

And in SDL 2014...
ONT>

I know that the character < should be an entity &lt;, but why SDL 2011 reads it fine while SDL 2014 has problems with it?

Should not the new version be better than the old version?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:22
English
Trados 2007 and Studio 2009/2011... May 6, 2014

... used the same filter. Studio 2014 uses brand new filters to support HTML4/5 correctly. The unfortunate thing is that whilst the old stuff occasionally appeared to be more relaxed in handling things like this sometimes, the new one does require that the correct ... See more
... used the same filter. Studio 2014 uses brand new filters to support HTML4/5 correctly. The unfortunate thing is that whilst the old stuff occasionally appeared to be more relaxed in handling things like this sometimes, the new one does require that the correct use of entities is applied for HTML files. See http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entities.asp

The problem with handling things like this is that often it can cause more harm than good and the old filter did suffer with more problems.

I have logged this as a bug for investigation purely because we were sometimes more lax in the past, and maybe something can be done to help make the filter a little less "correct" in the future. But there is no commitment to do this because we can't risk breaking the new filter just to accommodate something that is in fact invalid HTML.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Hans Näslund (X)
Hans Näslund (X)
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Is Studio 2014 unable to handle HTML files? Jul 15, 2014

I just had the same problem: I had an XLF file to translate, and in Studio all tags were shown as text. After a while I realised that the XLF was in reality an HTML file, so I created an HTML file and translated in it in Studio, which worked perfectly.

BUT - when I had finished the translation and wanted to finalise the project, Studio could not create the target HTML. After reading Paul's post, I realised that the reason probably was that the HTML did not comply to the most recent
... See more
I just had the same problem: I had an XLF file to translate, and in Studio all tags were shown as text. After a while I realised that the XLF was in reality an HTML file, so I created an HTML file and translated in it in Studio, which worked perfectly.

BUT - when I had finished the translation and wanted to finalise the project, Studio could not create the target HTML. After reading Paul's post, I realised that the reason probably was that the HTML did not comply to the most recent definitions for how signs like < > etc. should be rendered in HTML. But as Paul added that Studio 2011 uses older definitions, I ran the HTML through Studio 2011, and got a perfect translated HTML file.

My worry now is that the vast majority of today’s HTML files do not comply with the new definitions, as described in Paul’s link – which would mean that Studio 2014 may be practically unusable for translating HTML files. The common way of rendering tags in HTML is still to surround the tags with an opening bracket < and a closing bracket > - which Studio 2014 does not seem to accept.

(Maybe there could be another reason why Studio 2014 was not able to create the target HTML. Here is a link to the SDL Error file: http://1drv.ms/1roB6XL, which seems to indicate an “index error”.)
Collapse

Myriam Chiriboga
Myriam Chiriboga
United States
Local time: 02:22
English to Spanish
Please help with html coding files Jan 29, 2015

I have a problem with html coding files, when the file is uploaded in English looks fine, but when I open in the Spanish after translating it looks like a huge line, without the codings. This is how it looks,
thank you very much for your help

English

"John brings a broad range of experience in the insurance industry and a keen knowledge of analytical technology," said Mr. Smith. "His business acumen and industry knowledge coupled with deep understan
... See more
I have a problem with html coding files, when the file is uploaded in English looks fine, but when I open in the Spanish after translating it looks like a huge line, without the codings. This is how it looks,
thank you very much for your help

English

"John brings a broad range of experience in the insurance industry and a keen knowledge of analytical technology," said Mr. Smith. "His business acumen and industry knowledge coupled with deep understanding of analytical solutions will make a major contribution to the growth of the company."

Working directly with primary insurers and insurance brokers, Mr. Smith has served the P&C industry from the early days of catastrophe risk modeling. He began his career in 1986 as an energy and technical risk property underwriter in New York City with particular emphasis on oil and gas, chemical, industrial facilities, and course-of-construction risks. During his career in P&C, he played key roles in natural catastrophe underwriting, portfolio management, risk transfer, and model adoption.

The company is the world's leading provider of actionable analytics and capital management for the insurance and reinsurance industry. The company's flagship product Risk Explorer(TM) is used by many of the world's leading insurers, reinsurers, brokers, consulting firms, and regulators to quantify risk and provide solutions for the most complex financial risk management problems. With headquarters in New York, the company has offices in London, Trieste, and Hong Kong.

Spanish
"John trae consigo una vasta experiencia en la industria de seguros y un profundo conocimiento de tecnología analítica", dijo el Sr. Smith. "Su visión de negocios y conocimiento de la industria conjuntamente con su profundo entendimiento de soluciones analíticas harán un aporte importante para el crecimiento de la empresa". Trabajando directamente con los aseguradores primarios y los corredores de seguros, el Sr. Smith ha servido en la industria de seguros a la propiedad y accidentes (P&C) desde los primeros tiempos del modelo de riesgo de catástrofe. Comenzó su carrera en 1986 como suscriptor de riesgo técnico y de energía en la Ciudad de Nueva York con énfasis particular en riesgos de gas y petróleo, químico, instalaciones industriales y curso de construcción. Durante su carrera en el sector de propiedad y accidentes, desempeñó funciones decisivas en suscripción de catástrofe natural, gestión de portafolio, transferencia de riesgo y adopción de modelo. La empresa es el proveedor líder mundial de análisis accionable y gestión de capital para la industria de seguros y reaseguros. El producto principal de la empresa, Risk Explorer(TM) es utilizado por muchos de los principales aseguradores, reaseguradores, corredores, firmas de consultoría y reguladores en todo el mundo para cuantificar el riesgo y ofrecer soluciones para los problemas más complejos de gestión de riesgo financiero. La empresa, con sede en Nueva York, tiene oficinas en Londres, Trieste y Hong Kong.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Importing the sdlxliff file in a different CAT tool may help Jan 29, 2015

I have just translated an SDLXLIFF project in Studio with hmtl codes. I was specifically asked to check the html codes carefully to ensure they were identical in source and target. The "solution" was to copy the html strings over manually segment for segment. This wasn't too bad, as there were not too many segments of that kind, perhaps 100 or so. Still, it was hard to check that everything was fine.

The solution that I found, was that I could import the file into Dejavu X3, and hav
... See more
I have just translated an SDLXLIFF project in Studio with hmtl codes. I was specifically asked to check the html codes carefully to ensure they were identical in source and target. The "solution" was to copy the html strings over manually segment for segment. This wasn't too bad, as there were not too many segments of that kind, perhaps 100 or so. Still, it was hard to check that everything was fine.

The solution that I found, was that I could import the file into Dejavu X3, and have the html codes imported as tags. Running a tag check revealed two instances where the tags were wrong and in the wrong place. This was a great time saver for me.

Many would have for instance MemoQ besides Studio 2014, I would imagine, so I would check if MemoQ perhaps can do something similar. In DVX3 the setting to choose, is called "Process embedded HTML".
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: problem with html files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »