Studio 2014, duplicates when updating TM
Thread poster: Pilar García-Romeu
Pilar García-Romeu
Pilar García-Romeu  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 24, 2014

My reviewer returned a corrected file and I tried to update my TM with the batch tasks menu, but the old entries were not replaced with the new ones, so now I have duplicated entries, which makes the TM useless.
The option "Always add a new translation..." was unchecked.
I have succeeded deleting duplicates with the SDL Translation Memory Management utility, but I think there must surely be a straight forward way to update TMs in Studio itself.
Thanks for your help

<
... See more
My reviewer returned a corrected file and I tried to update my TM with the batch tasks menu, but the old entries were not replaced with the new ones, so now I have duplicated entries, which makes the TM useless.
The option "Always add a new translation..." was unchecked.
I have succeeded deleting duplicates with the SDL Translation Memory Management utility, but I think there must surely be a straight forward way to update TMs in Studio itself.
Thanks for your help

[Editado a las 2014-06-24 09:21 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
very odd... Jun 24, 2014

Hi Pilar,

I have tried to reproduce this behaviour this morning with field values/without field values, changing TM user ID, messing with settings... and I can't!

The only way I think this could happen is maybe you changed the options in the global settings and not the project settings, and so updated a TM with the option to always add as a new translation checked, when you thought you had turned it off. Apologies if you know about these differences already... but wort
... See more
Hi Pilar,

I have tried to reproduce this behaviour this morning with field values/without field values, changing TM user ID, messing with settings... and I can't!

The only way I think this could happen is maybe you changed the options in the global settings and not the project settings, and so updated a TM with the option to always add as a new translation checked, when you thought you had turned it off. Apologies if you know about these differences already... but worth checking just in case.

On the SDL Translation Memory Management Tool... I guess you want this to remove duplicates? Take a look in the Welcome View of Studio (after restarting) and you may find it listed in the OpenExchange apps on the left hand pane.

You can also do this in a more manual way, but lets you check you really want to remove them first, or at least which one you wish to delete:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/TM_View/TM_Data/Searching_and_Flitering_the_TM/P_Perform_a_Duplicate_TU_Search.htm

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Pilar García-Romeu
Pilar García-Romeu  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Global settings? Jun 24, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thanks vey much for your reply. However, I am afraid I don't quite understand. What is it that you couldn't reproduce? I just took a second version of a file and tried to update the TM with it from the Batch tasks menu. The TM was updated, but the entries of the first version were also kept.
I tried looking for a global settings box, just in case I had inadvertently changed something as you said, but I couldn't find one. When I open Studio, there is always a project
... See more
Hi Paul,

Thanks vey much for your reply. However, I am afraid I don't quite understand. What is it that you couldn't reproduce? I just took a second version of a file and tried to update the TM with it from the Batch tasks menu. The TM was updated, but the entries of the first version were also kept.
I tried looking for a global settings box, just in case I had inadvertently changed something as you said, but I couldn't find one. When I open Studio, there is always a project selected, so whatever settings I try to set refer to that project.
Where exactly should I look?
Thanks again,
Pilar
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Duplicate TUs... cont'd Jun 24, 2014

Pilar García-Romeu wrote:

Thanks very much for your reply. However, I am afraid I don't quite understand. What is it that you couldn't reproduce?

I could not reproduce the creation of duplicate TUs at all, unless I specifically checked the box to always add new translation to the Translation Memory.

Pilar García-Romeu wrote:

I tried looking for a global settings box, just in case I had inadvertently changed something as you said, but I couldn't find one. When I open Studio, there is always a project selected, so whatever settings I try to set refer to that project.
Where exactly should I look?

The Global settings, in Studio 2014, and in File -> Options. The Project Settings are in Project Settings. If you make a change in File -> Options it will not effect the Project Settings at all and because this option to add as a new translation is in both of these locations I just wanted to make sure you used the correct one.

If this doesn't help then drop me an email and we can do a Skype session of something to see if we can resolve this.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Claudia Franco (X)
Claudia Franco (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:23
English to Spanish
Did you find a solution to this problem? Dec 17, 2014

I'm having exactly the same issue Pilar had. Could you please let me know how you solved this problem? I'm going through the corrections in my file and, every time I confirm an amended segment, I notice that my TM keeps both the previous translation and the new one. I haven't clicked the "Add as new translation" option either. Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Claudia

Same issue in 2011 Jan 30, 2015

Just FYI, this is a standing issue we have with Studio 2011 as well.
I'm just now researching under which circumstances the duplicates are created.

So far it seems that there is a difference if the update is made in a package and then imported, or if the update is made directly in the project managers version of the project. In the latter case the last version of the segment gets updated (but not any previous duplicates).

Any type of package import i have tried le
... See more
Just FYI, this is a standing issue we have with Studio 2011 as well.
I'm just now researching under which circumstances the duplicates are created.

So far it seems that there is a difference if the update is made in a package and then imported, or if the update is made directly in the project managers version of the project. In the latter case the last version of the segment gets updated (but not any previous duplicates).

Any type of package import i have tried leads to duplicates.
(updated return package from same translator project, new project package created and opened as separate project at translator, then returned the usual way. All using different user as "translator" of course)

Right now I'm comparing sdlxliff/project files to see what triggers the different behavior when doing an update as project manager.

This has been creeping in to our TMs for a long while without notice (possibly since we started using Studio?), and is now starting to cause lots of grief. Our customers wonder why their previously corrected segments are regressing to the previous version, and the analyses (spelling?) shows 99%-ers where there should only be 100% matches.

We've tried getting help from support before (I think while we still had a contract), but they dismissed it or didn't understand the question. I think the gist of it was that or workflow was non-standard in some way, but i fail to understand how that can be (I didn't contact them personally, so I may have got it wrong). Everyone needs to update a segment now and then.

I understand the issue may be a different one in 2014 compared to 2011, but the symptoms are very very similar. If anyone could reproduce the behavior (making the update as "project manager") above on 2014 please update the thread. I don't have access to 2014 personally.

Paul, let me know if you want a step by step on how to reproduce this in 2011 (assuming it's the same issue).
I've tested extensively and can give you our project template to ensure we have the same settings.
I feel this is a serious issue that potentially is costing your clients money. In our situation at least, where we have automation external to Studio, we have to sidestep our normal workflow to get correct updates with no duplicates.

/Andreas
Collapse

Uta Kappler
Uta Kappler
United States
Local time: 13:23
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Same or similar issue/feature as in an older post? Jan 30, 2015

The same issue/feature was discussed in the following SDL Trados Studio 2009 topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/172292-sdl_trados_2009_tm_segments_not_updated_but_added.html

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe... Jan 31, 2015

I've encountered this problem ocassionally, not always.
Only guessing, but could it be because we have two or more TMs linked to a project and some of these TMs don't get updated during translation?

Mulitple TMs shouldn't matter Feb 2, 2015

Hi Lorenzo,
In our case no, it happens with only one memory linked to a project. I haven't tested the scenario with multiple
memories, but I would expect it not to make a difference, since only one TM actually gets updated (IIRC).
The issue is not that the TM won't get updated, but that each update after the first creates a "duplicate" if the target content differs. Three updates with different targets=triplicates! (oh joy...)

(In our workflow the multiple TM sce
... See more
Hi Lorenzo,
In our case no, it happens with only one memory linked to a project. I haven't tested the scenario with multiple
memories, but I would expect it not to make a difference, since only one TM actually gets updated (IIRC).
The issue is not that the TM won't get updated, but that each update after the first creates a "duplicate" if the target content differs. Three updates with different targets=triplicates! (oh joy...)

(In our workflow the multiple TM scenario is rare, so I'm investigating the cases where we lose most of the time/money)

PS.

I've had a look at the updated sdlxliffs created by different methods to spot any differences that triggers one behavior or the other, but there seems to be only minor stuff, nothing conclusive. The included "original-file" is slightly different, but it only seems to be rezipped, the actual file inside is identical. There's a hash on the segment that differs also, but I can't tell what that's for. The hash isn't the same when the update works either, so it seems to change every time, regardless of update method. It differs in format from the segment hash in the TM, but I'm sure there's some connection between the two.

Anyway, I think I'll have to give up on this for now, and just know that the update mechanism inside projects is severely flawed. If it only had worked as the separate TM import, all had been well.
(Why on earth don't they by the way? There seems to be a lack of development coordination here...)

/Andreas
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014, duplicates when updating TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »