Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
SDL Language Cloud in Studio 2014 - no prompt in update
Thread poster: d2e
d2e
d2e
German to English
Jul 12, 2014

After receiving the SDL newsletter notifying me that the SDL Language Cloud would soon be available in Studio 2014, I consulted the online FAQ, which states:

"The SDL Language Cloud integration with Studio 2014 will be delivered with the next Cumulative
Update. Once you install the update, follow the instructions that will appear on your screen."

However, I have just installed the latest update and nothing special appeared on my screen after the instllation was co
... See more
After receiving the SDL newsletter notifying me that the SDL Language Cloud would soon be available in Studio 2014, I consulted the online FAQ, which states:

"The SDL Language Cloud integration with Studio 2014 will be delivered with the next Cumulative
Update. Once you install the update, follow the instructions that will appear on your screen."

However, I have just installed the latest update and nothing special appeared on my screen after the instllation was complete.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:24
English
The next cumulative update... Jul 12, 2014

... is not the one you just took. It's the one we have not released yet I think it will be available closer to the end of this month.

Regards

Paul

d2e
d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
The Cloud is here now, but... Aug 6, 2014

Okay, so the update which enables access to the SDL Language Cloud is here.
I have installed it and enabled the Cloud in "Automated Translation" in the options, but nothing seems to be happening - i.e. no results show for the SDL Language Cloud in the Translation Results window at the top of the Editor.
I translate from German to English.
I logged in to my online account to check the settings for the Cloud and despite the fact that I was able to choose German to English when ad
... See more
Okay, so the update which enables access to the SDL Language Cloud is here.
I have installed it and enabled the Cloud in "Automated Translation" in the options, but nothing seems to be happening - i.e. no results show for the SDL Language Cloud in the Translation Results window at the top of the Editor.
I translate from German to English.
I logged in to my online account to check the settings for the Cloud and despite the fact that I was able to choose German to English when adding the Cloud to the list in "Automated Translation" in the program, I see that all the pairs listed online under "Available Engines" have English as the source language.

[Edited at 2014-08-06 18:41 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Did you activate... Aug 7, 2014

... the appropriate option for you? If you just want the free account then you need to make sure that you choose this in your account and then you will continue to take advantage of free Machine Translation as you did before, only now it will be via Language Cloud as opposed to BeGlobal Community, and it is limited as follows:

Studio 2011 : 4000 words per day
Studio 2014 : 600,000 characters per month

You can extend this limit if you have Studio 2014 by purchasin
... See more
... the appropriate option for you? If you just want the free account then you need to make sure that you choose this in your account and then you will continue to take advantage of free Machine Translation as you did before, only now it will be via Language Cloud as opposed to BeGlobal Community, and it is limited as follows:

Studio 2011 : 4000 words per day
Studio 2014 : 600,000 characters per month

You can extend this limit if you have Studio 2014 by purchasing one of the various options available to you.

The available engines with English source language you have mentioned are the specific trained vertical engines that are currently available to you if you subscribe to them. These will provide a better quality Machine Translation for the vertical you are translating in. If you are translating a different language pair or language direction then you will only be able to access the baselines that were available to you in the past via BeGlobal Community.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

d2e
d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure why that should make a difference Aug 7, 2014

Thanks Paul

I'm not sure why changing my subscription from Trial to Free should make a difference, as the Free subscription offers less than the Trial (unsurprisingly).

I changed my subscription now anyway, and it has made no difference - nothing appears in Translation Results" for the SDL Cloud.

When you wrote "you will only be able to access the baselines that were available to you in the past via BeGlobal Community", did you mean theoretically available
... See more
Thanks Paul

I'm not sure why changing my subscription from Trial to Free should make a difference, as the Free subscription offers less than the Trial (unsurprisingly).

I changed my subscription now anyway, and it has made no difference - nothing appears in Translation Results" for the SDL Cloud.

When you wrote "you will only be able to access the baselines that were available to you in the past via BeGlobal Community", did you mean theoretically available to me, or those I actually used? In fact I have been using the MyMemory plugin, not BeGlobal.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
We're talking about Language Cloud and BeGlobal... Aug 7, 2014

... not MyMemory.

maybe you can drop me an email and I can take a look at your set up?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

d2e
d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed we are ;-) Aug 10, 2014

Hi Paul

Indeed we are talking about Language Cloud - but not necessarily BeGlobal.

The point I was making that was that I don't use BeGlobal, because I have been using the MyMemory plugin instead.

As you wrote "you will only be able to access the baselines that were available to you in the past via BeGlobal", I wondered if the fact that I haven't been using BeGlobal would affect my access to Language Cloud - or whether you meant what would theoretically h
... See more
Hi Paul

Indeed we are talking about Language Cloud - but not necessarily BeGlobal.

The point I was making that was that I don't use BeGlobal, because I have been using the MyMemory plugin instead.

As you wrote "you will only be able to access the baselines that were available to you in the past via BeGlobal", I wondered if the fact that I haven't been using BeGlobal would affect my access to Language Cloud - or whether you meant what would theoretically have been available to me in BeGlobal.

I'll send you an e-mail.

Many thanks for your help
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just to clarify.... Aug 10, 2014

... and I will respond to your email in due course.

The Language Cloud offering has replaced the features we used to make available via BeGlobal. If you didn't use BeGlobal before then it doesn't make any difference. You had to sign up for BeGlobal, and you'll have to sign up for Language Cloud.

Language Cloud relates to services offered by SDL. MyMemory and other engines available through Studio via a plugin have nothing to do with Language Cloud. It's also not one
... See more
... and I will respond to your email in due course.

The Language Cloud offering has replaced the features we used to make available via BeGlobal. If you didn't use BeGlobal before then it doesn't make any difference. You had to sign up for BeGlobal, and you'll have to sign up for Language Cloud.

Language Cloud relates to services offered by SDL. MyMemory and other engines available through Studio via a plugin have nothing to do with Language Cloud. It's also not one or the other... you can use them all at the same time if you like.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:24
Member (2004)
English to Italian
error... Aug 11, 2014

being rather curious, I registered for the free trial, but now when I try and add the SDL Language Cloud as a provider in the translation memory option (from Project Settings), I get the error "Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JObject does not contain a definition for 'subscription'"...

Anybody knows why and how am I suppose to use the service? Cheers...

ChananZass
ChananZass
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Newstonsoft.Json issue solved Aug 13, 2014

In my case, the issue with the newtonsoft.Json assembly errors was solved after:

1. Installing the Aug. 13, 2014 update of SDL Trados Studio 2014.
2. Re-installing the MyMemory plug-in.

d2e
d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still no Cloud results Aug 14, 2014

Hi again Paul

I'm not sure what sort of timescale you meant when you said you would contact me "in due course", but as you haven't so far, I thought I'd just point out that despite the further update that appeared a couple of days ago, which also prompted a login to the SDL Language Cloud, there are still no results shown for the Cloud in the Editor.

Ninon Dion
Ninon Dion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:24
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Same here Aug 15, 2014

I'm having the same problem.
Everything seems to be in order in regards to my subscriptions and such, but I'm not receiving any Cloud results.

I'm interested in reading possible solutions to this.

d2e
d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still no progress Sep 2, 2014

Despite a phone session with Paul to check my setup and several e-mails, no progress has been made.

In my case, the error message is "The input BCM JSON should not be null"

Astrid Hall
Astrid Hall  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Same error Nov 12, 2014

I have the same error off and on for months now. As it seems to occur during business hours more than in the evenings I presume that the SDL server is overloaded at certain times of the day.

Has any other feedback been received by anybody?

d2e
d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still no progress here Nov 12, 2014

In the meantime, after many e-mails, I was contacted by SDL for a live session, in which several options were reset.
Unfortunately, although this initially resolved the problem, it returned the next day.

My further e-mails to SDL Support have provoked no response whatsoever, which may be because the system considers the case "closed", or it may be that my messages weren't received, as I was told of several messages I sent before.

As it took weeks to get as far as
... See more
In the meantime, after many e-mails, I was contacted by SDL for a live session, in which several options were reset.
Unfortunately, although this initially resolved the problem, it returned the next day.

My further e-mails to SDL Support have provoked no response whatsoever, which may be because the system considers the case "closed", or it may be that my messages weren't received, as I was told of several messages I sent before.

As it took weeks to get as far as I did last time, I haven't yet pushed myself to start a new ticket and roll out the whole thing from the beginning again.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Language Cloud in Studio 2014 - no prompt in update

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »