Thread poster: Aybars ARIKAN
Aybars ARIKAN
Aybars ARIKAN
Local time: 22:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jul 16, 2014

Hello all,

I have saved a target file as .sdlxliff, but my client claimed it was in binary format and there should have been an option to have it in human-readable format.

Could you please help me save a xliff file in binary format?

Ver: SDL Trados 2011

Thanks in advance!

Good luck!

[Değişiklik saati 2014-07-16 20:25 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
English
very odd question... Jul 19, 2014

In general when you open a file in Studio for translation, unless the file is huge it is converted to Binary and embedded into the SDLXLIFF file. This is so it is possible to send the SDLXLIFF file to another user and they can recreate the original source format from the SDLXLIFF alone.

Did you send the SDLXLIFF?

If you need the human readable format then maybe you should just save the target file (Shift+F12 when the file is open in the Studio Editor)
... See more

In general when you open a file in Studio for translation, unless the file is huge it is converted to Binary and embedded into the SDLXLIFF file. This is so it is possible to send the SDLXLIFF file to another user and they can recreate the original source format from the SDLXLIFF alone.

Did you send the SDLXLIFF?

If you need the human readable format then maybe you should just save the target file (Shift+F12 when the file is open in the Studio Editor).

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sounds like... Jul 19, 2014

The client may not have any software that can open an .sdlxliff file, and he or she tried to open it in Notepad or something.

Aybars ARIKAN
Aybars ARIKAN
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mr. Cummins you may be right; but, what would be the solution? Jul 19, 2014

Orrin Cummins wrote:

The client may not have any software that can open an .sdlxliff file, and he or she tried to open it in Notepad or something.

It is possible. Considering this, what would be the best option to meet the client's requirement?

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
Try what Paul suggested Jul 19, 2014

.sdlxliff files are in a format that allows them to be opened by Trados and other CAT tools that support them. It sounds to me like your client does not have a program that can handle this file format. If the client did, opening the file and exporting it as a "human-readable" format would take about thirty seconds.

What was the file type of the source file that the client sent you? If it was, let's say, a Word document, then you should be able to do as Paul said and save the target
... See more
.sdlxliff files are in a format that allows them to be opened by Trados and other CAT tools that support them. It sounds to me like your client does not have a program that can handle this file format. If the client did, opening the file and exporting it as a "human-readable" format would take about thirty seconds.

What was the file type of the source file that the client sent you? If it was, let's say, a Word document, then you should be able to do as Paul said and save the target as a translated Word document. If the client needs a bilingual file, you can use the "Export for External Review" feature, which I believe is accessible from the File menu in Studio 2011.
Collapse

Aybars ARIKAN
Aybars ARIKAN
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XML Jul 30, 2014

File type of the source file was XML. It seems there is no problem with the .sdlxliff file but when I try to save the target xml file, I open it with a code reader (i.e. Internet Explorer) and see that the target text is inserted into 'source' tags instead of 'target'.

Could you please help me save it into 'target' part?

Thanks for help.

[Değişiklik saati 2014-07-30 15:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving as a xliff file in human-readable format

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »