Karina Garcia Pedroche
Karina Garcia Pedroche  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 23, 2014

Dear colleagues,

Do you know whether Trados Studio is intending to develop a web-based version accessible for freelance translators?
Almost any CAT tool has nowadays a web-based version for translators to work alone or collaboratively on the cloud, and Studio is getting behind in this regard.

I am seriously considering shifting to MemoQ if they don't apply this new feature soon.

Kind regards,

Karina

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:29
English
SDL Cloud Jul 23, 2014

Hi Karina,

SDL have every intention of bringing this capability and more, all as part of an integrated solution for everything we do. So for example, if you visit this site - http://www.sdl.com/cxc/ - you will be able to see an overview of what we aiming towards as we integrate all of the products we create.

Each of the products have their own specialities and expert users so we also ha
... See more
Hi Karina,

SDL have every intention of bringing this capability and more, all as part of an integrated solution for everything we do. So for example, if you visit this site - http://www.sdl.com/cxc/ - you will be able to see an overview of what we aiming towards as we integrate all of the products we create.

Each of the products have their own specialities and expert users so we also have individual cloud based solutions for these too. For example, we launched the SDL Language Cloud a month or so ago in June - https://languagecloud.sdl.com/

The idea is that this will not just be based on the current offering you see here today, but this will be extended with new options for cloud based services starting with Machine Translation options that everyone can take advantage of. You'll see some of this in the next couple of weeks.

Following on from this we will be adding new functionality starting with terminology and translation memory sharing and then onto reviewing and editing capabilities.

It may seem as though we are being a little slow here, but the solution we are putting in place will be usable for all of the Language Technologies we offer (Studio, GroupShare, WorldServer, TMS, MultiTerm for example) in a consistent manner and this is no small undertaking. Furthermore we have been putting in place the underlying platform for developers at a product level and in the cloud which is second to none, and this is key to allowing anyone to grow their own business by being able to offer more services from their own space in the cloud through this platform, all along with the opportunity to link into the other solutions SDL provide or into their preferred solutions that have an API available. You can see the evidence of some of the things we do at a product level now on the SDL OpenExchange ( http://sdl.com/openexchange ) and these are just the things available to everyone. Many companies have created some fantastic solutions for their own users as a result of this platform.

So a bit of a long answer to your question, but I think it might be helpful for you, and others, to see what we are doing at SDL. Over the course of this year there will be more announcements, starting in a week or two, so I think there is plenty to look forward to.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Karina Garcia Pedroche
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Focusing on translators Jul 23, 2014

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your update. Your MT solution is something of the sort I was expecting. I think that the possibility to build our own MT engines, such as the solution Kantan offers, would be very useful, only that they offer it just for big translation engines, and not to translators, yet.

Translators and small companies are the least benefited with the latest technology, as we are evidently not the largest source of income for CAT and MT solutions de
... See more
Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your update. Your MT solution is something of the sort I was expecting. I think that the possibility to build our own MT engines, such as the solution Kantan offers, would be very useful, only that they offer it just for big translation engines, and not to translators, yet.

Translators and small companies are the least benefited with the latest technology, as we are evidently not the largest source of income for CAT and MT solutions developers. As regards this, I've browsed the pages you've provided to me, and I understand that, apart from the MT solution, the Customer Experience Cloud seems to be oriented to final customers, rather than to translators.

What I'l like from you is a web-based editor with a project management solution, if possible, accessible from an economic point of view, to translators and small agencies (those owning the freelance version of Trados Studio). Also, the possibility of integration of your client solution with an API key, and a vendor management system where certified users may be included.

Do you think I might be able to see it in the near future. The use of Memsource with a later combination with XTRF is what's on my list at the moment (for you to see the needs I'm referring to).

Regards,

Karina
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Focusing on everyone Jul 23, 2014

Hi Karina,

Our focus is really on everyone, but I can understand how you might not see that just yet. The good news is that the MT solutions will give you the very possibility you want, so I hope this will give you some confidence we are looking at more than just the bigger enterprises.

I think you're wrong when you say that translators and small companies don't benefit from the things we are doing... I think it may appear that way if half a dozen specific things you w
... See more
Hi Karina,

Our focus is really on everyone, but I can understand how you might not see that just yet. The good news is that the MT solutions will give you the very possibility you want, so I hope this will give you some confidence we are looking at more than just the bigger enterprises.

I think you're wrong when you say that translators and small companies don't benefit from the things we are doing... I think it may appear that way if half a dozen specific things you would like one tool to do are not provided quickly, but this is a long way from you not seeing any benefits. Over the course of this year you will see more things being rolled out now that we have got our platform in place.

The possibility to create and manage Projects in the cloud will be available very soon, and I mean as a true cloud solution for everyone here as we obviously already have this capability for larger customers. The web-based editor will come later (it has to work with all our products and not just Studio) as this is a priority for us as I already mentioned in my initial response.

There are solutions available already for web-based editing such as Global Review but I'm not sure these are what you are looking for to suit your needs?

On memsource and XTRF. We already have integrations with both of these products, both available on the SDL OpenExchange, and in fact the memsource app was developed specifically for translators by memsource!
Collapse

Karina Garcia Pedroche
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Small entrepreneurs in mid-way Jul 28, 2014

Hi Paul,

As I see in the Memsource website, I am supposed to pay EU 180 per month, to be able to access their API and integrate it with my Trados Studio which would be ARS 2039 monthly, in my country, Argentina (a very high rate): http://www.memsource.com/pricing/
I understand your point, but the above shows you what I mean. XTRF integration seems more accessible in its rental basic
... See more
Hi Paul,

As I see in the Memsource website, I am supposed to pay EU 180 per month, to be able to access their API and integrate it with my Trados Studio which would be ARS 2039 monthly, in my country, Argentina (a very high rate): http://www.memsource.com/pricing/
I understand your point, but the above shows you what I mean. XTRF integration seems more accessible in its rental basic version.

With "web- based editor" I mean the same "editor" interface we use in Studio, but we-based, such as the one in Memsource, Wordbee, and others. The free version, if there is one, is limited as regards functionality and word number, and jumping to the enterprise rate entails a big economic effort for small agencies or entepreneur PM in my area. Wordbee is a good example of the integrated functions I expect (PM + web-based CAT), but the freelance version is EU 250, and I don't like their interface (it seems nothing suits me, doesn't it?). That's why I hope Studio will surpise me with what I expect

Integration made simply, means not having to pay additional fees just for using the API, but you are right in the sense that there is still a long way to go and that we are on the good track.

Thanks for your information and replies. I am eager to see the Studio web-based improvements. Please, keep me updated.

Kind regards,

Karina
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You're not looking in the right place... Jul 29, 2014

Hi Karina,

The integration is already complete. The app is here (free) - MEMSOURCE Plugin for Studio

The wiki page with info on the Memsource solution to accompany this is here : Wiki PageMEMSOURCE Plugin for Studio

The wiki page with info on the Memsource solution to accompany this is here : Wiki Page

I'm pretty sure it's less than you quote here... around 20 €/month I think.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Karina Garcia Pedroche
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Jul 29, 2014

Thanks, Paul! It seems Memsource forgot to mention this API availability on their website. This soudns much better. Regards. Karina

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
Member (2004)
English to Italian
unfortunately... Jul 29, 2014

I wasn't able to use the memsource plugin for the simple reason that most agencies and clients don't allow you to connect to their TM... and they don't allow you to download it either.

My problem with cloud solutions is that the translator is heavily penalised in favour of the end-client, to which you sell your solution (and Memsource and all the others...)

They just make the client's life a lot easier and complicate ours a lot. Clients very often don't allow you to loa
... See more
I wasn't able to use the memsource plugin for the simple reason that most agencies and clients don't allow you to connect to their TM... and they don't allow you to download it either.

My problem with cloud solutions is that the translator is heavily penalised in favour of the end-client, to which you sell your solution (and Memsource and all the others...)

They just make the client's life a lot easier and complicate ours a lot. Clients very often don't allow you to load your own TM, don't allow you to download their TM (with your work in it) and don't allow you to use your own termbase. For a translator, productivity is vastly compromised. You'll find that more and more translators will refuse to work in the cloud in the future, like they refuse to post-edit MT...
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I think you've got... Jul 29, 2014

... the wrong idea about this plugin and the Memsource solution available. It's designed specifically for Freelance Translators so they can work together and share their resources online. It's not a plugin that will allow you to connect to an Enterprise Memsource solution. It could do, but it was developed specifically for a different reason.

On your comments regarding the access to a Clients TM. I think it depends on the Client and the controls around how you access it. This i
... See more
... the wrong idea about this plugin and the Memsource solution available. It's designed specifically for Freelance Translators so they can work together and share their resources online. It's not a plugin that will allow you to connect to an Enterprise Memsource solution. It could do, but it was developed specifically for a different reason.

On your comments regarding the access to a Clients TM. I think it depends on the Client and the controls around how you access it. This is in fact an extremely common usecase for us with the various SDL solutions. You are normally not allowed to update the TM or download it, but lookup is very common.

I'm not surprised they won't allow you to download their TM as this probably contains material you may not be allowed to have access to at all and material you did not translate for them. You don't lose anything from this do you?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ok... Jul 29, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

I don't get this... on the plugin app page it says: "MEMSOURCE Plugin for Studio enables SDL Trados Studio users to connect to a translation memory in MEMSOURCE CLOUD."

So, whoever is running MemSource Cloud has to allow the users to share the TM... or not? I don't know any colleagues that run MemSource Cloud... it's usually agencies and agencies don't want you to connect to it with another CAT tool...

BTW, I though you were working on a solution to make mxliff files compatible with Studio... no trace of it at the moment.

On your comments regarding the access to a Clients TM. I think it depends on the Client and the controls around how you access it. This is in fact an extremely common usecase for us with the various SDL solutions. You are normally not allowed to update the TM or download it, but lookup is very common.

I'm not surprised they won't allow you to download their TM as this probably contains material you may not be allowed to have access to at all and material you did not translate for them. You don't lose anything from this do you?

Exactly... this is why for freelancers is a disadvantage to work in the cloud... the advantages are all for the client...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Exactly... Jul 29, 2014

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I don't get this... on the plugin app page it says: "MEMSOURCE Plugin for Studio enables SDL Trados Studio users to connect to a translation memory in MEMSOURCE CLOUD."

So, whoever is running MemSource Cloud has to allow the users to share the TM... or not? I don't know any colleagues that run MemSource Cloud... it's usually agencies and agencies don't want you to connect to it with another CAT tool...

... so the idea here is that this is a solution for a group of Freelance translators who wish to work together and share their TM for a project in the cloud. Maybe not interesting for you, but very interesting for many others.

It's not about an agency or an enterprise running Memsource and making it available. Maybe read the wiki link I gave as well.

BTW, I though you were working on a solution to make mxliff files compatible with Studio... no trace of it at the moment.

I don't recall ever saying that... but I also don't think it would be a problem. You might be able to handle it now with the out of the box XLIFF filetype if you just added *.mxliff to the wildcard field.

But I'd have to say it's not a format I hear many people asking for.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ok.. Jul 30, 2014

thanks, Paul... looks like I got the wrong impression about the plugin...

I though someone from SDL said somewhere that you were working on such a solution... there are so many blogs these days out there that I can't remember where I read it, to be honest. I'll try the way you describe...

Karina Garcia Pedroche
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As a freelancer, too Jul 31, 2014

The following are two a cases where web-base editors such as Memsource is useful for a freelance user:

One of the reasons for which I intend to use Memsource, is to work as a freelancer for an ongoing client for which I do daily translations. When I travel, I take a laptop but not always one equipped with my CAT tool and the client TM, so my aim is to log in to a web-based application where my updated TM is stored, and do my daily job as usual, wherever I am, and whichever PC I am able to use.

Also, when I have to buy or repair my PC, I can go on working since the very first day without having to reinstall and reload my CATs and TMs al over again. It's just a matter of loggin in, and translate.

And this is also why I'd like my client CAT tool, Trados Studio, to provide this feature, so that I don't have to hire a third party application to access my stuff on the web.

Regards,

Karina

Karina Garcia Pedroche
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Memsource API Forbidden Aug 15, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Karina,

The integration is already complete. The app is here (free) - MEMSOURCE Plugin for Studio

The wiki page with info on the Memsource solution to accompany this is here : Wiki Page

I'm pretty sure it's less than you quote here... around 20 €/month I think.

Hi Paul,

I tried to connect to my Memsource Cloud using the Trados Studio API Plug-in, and after loging in there appears "Error: 403 Forbidden"

Your plug-in is free, but is it that it doesn't work because I am supposed to pay the ULTIMATE plan? (http://www.memsource.com/pricing/). It seems that this is the only plan that offers the use of the API, as I had understood previously. Please, tell me that I am wrong

Regards,

Karina

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
MemSource: 'Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JObject' does not contain a definition for 'subscription' Aug 15, 2014

Hi, MemSource sounded like what I need so I installed it, and get the above error. This says to me that I need to be subscribed to something before I can use it - but what? I need some nice hand-holding straightforward information, 'to use this you need that (and it will cost you this)'. It makes me suspect that this solution will not be usable without having committed to some SDL cloud subscription or another, but something that tells me what I'm missing would be handy, preferably before I inst... See more
Hi, MemSource sounded like what I need so I installed it, and get the above error. This says to me that I need to be subscribed to something before I can use it - but what? I need some nice hand-holding straightforward information, 'to use this you need that (and it will cost you this)'. It makes me suspect that this solution will not be usable without having committed to some SDL cloud subscription or another, but something that tells me what I'm missing would be handy, preferably before I install add-ons that give me errors.

Maybe I missed something, but as far as I could see there was no warning of the implications of installing this service pack. If I had known what it was going to do (i.e. remove functionality I was using, the BeGlobal solution, replacing it by something more sophisticated and no doubt better, but with a learning curve and probably not free) I would not have installed it until I had had time to look into the changes and their implications. I am right in the middle of a very, very pressurised project and I do not have time to faff around. Using a new environment needs preparation, it affects our ability to work.

Meanwhile, I guess I uninstall MemSource.

Is there anything approaching a 'Trados cloud for dummies' out there?

Thanks
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio on the Cloud

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »