Laura Pla Cobles
Laura Pla Cobles
France
Local time: 10:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 23, 2014

Dear all,
I just bought Trados 2014 Freelance plus.
When I started it for the first time, I got the setup wizard (for new users) where I was asked to add the 5 languages I'm going to use. The problem is there is only one language in the list (Spanish - Latin America).
If I click ADD, it is added to the list below, but I cannot add any other language because the list doesn't have any language other than this one.
What went wrong? Do I need to uninstall the application?
... See more
Dear all,
I just bought Trados 2014 Freelance plus.
When I started it for the first time, I got the setup wizard (for new users) where I was asked to add the 5 languages I'm going to use. The problem is there is only one language in the list (Spanish - Latin America).
If I click ADD, it is added to the list below, but I cannot add any other language because the list doesn't have any language other than this one.
What went wrong? Do I need to uninstall the application?
If so, I know I need to return my code, but unfortunately I cannot access the License Manager, as every time I open Trados, the only interface I have access to is the Language Choice in the setup screen, and I cannot go any further than that.
Please, advise.
Thanks in advance
Laura

[Edited at 2014-07-23 16:51 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Strange... Jul 23, 2014

I haven't heard of just one language in the list. Are you looking at a screen with a list on the left and an empty box (or just one language) on the right?
Have you tried selecting a language from the list on the left, and then clicking "add" to copy it to the right hand list?

If that doesn't help, could you post a screenshot to show us what you can see?

I wonder whether you just selected one language in the wizard and now you're setting up a project, in which cas
... See more
I haven't heard of just one language in the list. Are you looking at a screen with a list on the left and an empty box (or just one language) on the right?
Have you tried selecting a language from the list on the left, and then clicking "add" to copy it to the right hand list?

If that doesn't help, could you post a screenshot to show us what you can see?

I wonder whether you just selected one language in the wizard and now you're setting up a project, in which case you won't be offered any more languages?
If that's the case, uninstall Studio (through the Control Panel) and then reinstall it. You won't lose your license by uninstalling/installing, don't worry.
Collapse

Laura Pla Cobles
Laura Pla Cobles
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Setup Wizard: one language only in the list Jul 23, 2014

Hi Emma,
Thanks a lot for your quick answer.
IN fact, the problem comes from the Setup Wizard: it only displays one language, while Trados Freelance requires 5.
As I cannot select any more languages, the wizard won't let me go any further, so I'm kind of blocked there.
I'll add a screenshot of the screen asap.
Regarding the license, if I'm not wrong, before uninstalling Trados, I need to return it. The thing is I can't because I cannot access Trados or do anyth
... See more
Hi Emma,
Thanks a lot for your quick answer.
IN fact, the problem comes from the Setup Wizard: it only displays one language, while Trados Freelance requires 5.
As I cannot select any more languages, the wizard won't let me go any further, so I'm kind of blocked there.
I'll add a screenshot of the screen asap.
Regarding the license, if I'm not wrong, before uninstalling Trados, I need to return it. The thing is I can't because I cannot access Trados or do anything with it, since I'm blocked in the Language Choice screen in the Setup Wizard.
May this be related to the fact that I'm using Windows 8?
Thanks a lot
Best regards,
Laura
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
License Jul 23, 2014

dedalus1234 wrote:

Regarding the license, if I'm not wrong, before uninstalling Trados, I need to return it.

No, you only have to return the license if you're going to reformat your hard disk. I'm absolutely sure about that.

Laura Pla Cobles
Laura Pla Cobles
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trying again Jul 23, 2014

Dear Emma,
Thank you for your kind reply.
IN fact, I've been trying to find information on the internet but there's nothing.
I've tried to repair Trados 2014 from the Control Panel but it doesn't work either.
I'll try now to uninstall it. I hope this doesn't make things worse.
If that doesn't work I'll see with sdl tomorrow.
Thanks for your response anyways.
Best regards,
Laura

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 16:36
English to Italian
+ ...
Try this! Jul 24, 2014

dedalus1234 wrote:

The thing is I can't because I cannot access Trados or do anything with it

Like Emma, i find it very strange. Looks like something got corrupted. Could be during the installation process or it could be bad package you downloaded.

I think SDL has a DEACTIVATE OFFLINE procedure from SDL MY ACCOUNT. Now don't take me for mad but i can't recall whether i used that method too one time the PC acted up and i needed to format it.
So if i remember well the whole thing goes this way.

- You go here: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/
- Insert your username/Password
- If i recall right, you go to Your Licenses and, from there, you should find a DEACTIVATE OFFLINE option (in form of a button if i recall right).

Take all this with a grain of salt as i may be remembering a bit wrong but i am confident that it works that way.

DO NOT FORMAT anything before you have deactivated Studio or you'll have to open a ticket and ask for support and things may get lengthy.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Enrico

[Edited at 2014-07-24 05:18 GMT]

Laura Pla Cobles
Laura Pla Cobles
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Installing Trados again Jul 24, 2014

Dear Enrico,

Thank you for your answer.

I uninstalled Trados yesterday and installed it back again, and the problem persists.
Regarding the license, Emma was absolutely right, you do not need to deactivate it if you are just installing Trados again.

And here is the screenshot of the screen I'm referring to: http://we.tl/atmBi6VsA9
I cannot go any further than
... See more
Dear Enrico,

Thank you for your answer.

I uninstalled Trados yesterday and installed it back again, and the problem persists.
Regarding the license, Emma was absolutely right, you do not need to deactivate it if you are just installing Trados again.

And here is the screenshot of the screen I'm referring to: http://we.tl/atmBi6VsA9
I cannot go any further than this.

I'll try to contact SDL today directly today and I will let you know about the outcome so that next time somebody has the same problem knows what to do. For the moment, I'm the first one with this issue.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to all.
Best regards,
Laura
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you can't resolve this... Jul 24, 2014

... odd situation please log a case so the support team can take a look and help you resolve this. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here, which I know doesn't fit your situation exactly but it will all
... See more
... odd situation please log a case so the support team can take a look and help you resolve this. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here, which I know doesn't fit your situation exactly but it will allow you to enter the case;

Download & Installation Problems
- I use SDL Trados Studio and/or SDL MultiTerm 2009, 2011 or 2014
-- The installation went fine but now I get an error message etc
--- The problem occurs in (pick the appropriate tool/s)
---- None of the articles resolved my problem (if they didn’t!)

Follow the route for your problem and if there is no answer that helps by the time you get to the end you'll be presented with a form to contact support. Complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Also use the Chrome browser to log the case if you have it; you'll get more success in completing the form.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Laura Pla Cobles
Laura Pla Cobles
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 24, 2014

Dear SDL Support Team,
I will do so.
Thanks for this.
Best regards,
Laura

Laura Pla Cobles
Laura Pla Cobles
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Language Pack in Windows 8.1 Jul 25, 2014

Dear all,

I finally could open a ticket for my issues: only one language showing in the list of Language Choice when installing Trados Freelance.

The answer I got was this:
"...the issue in Studio is caused by the lack of the language pack on your OS. You can also check that yourself by going to the Regional Settings and under formats you should have displayed all the languages, like in the screenshot I attached. Please let me know. "

Indeed it is.
... See more
Dear all,

I finally could open a ticket for my issues: only one language showing in the list of Language Choice when installing Trados Freelance.

The answer I got was this:
"...the issue in Studio is caused by the lack of the language pack on your OS. You can also check that yourself by going to the Regional Settings and under formats you should have displayed all the languages, like in the screenshot I attached. Please let me know. "

Indeed it is. If I go to Regional Settings > Formats I only have one language.
I installed the language packs that I needed but there was no change in the situation: Trados did not recognize the language packs I had just installed in Windows. I contacted Windows, they couldn't help me.

It's hard for me to believe that no one else is having the same issue. In any case, Sdl Support told me it's an issue to do with my OS, but I disagree. If Trados is meant to be compatible with Windows 8.1, then they should fix this issue because I believe this may happen to other people with the same OS as me.

If anyone has any idea of how to fix this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Laura
Collapse

Laura Pla Cobles
Laura Pla Cobles
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Jul 28, 2014

Dear all,

I managed to fix the issue.
SDL support contacted me: the problem comes from Windows 8.1, as when this OS is installed, the language packs are ignored.
The only solution is to REPAIR the OS.
You won't lose your files but you'll need to reinstall all programs again.
It is the only solution for the moment.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Laura

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 setup - Language Choice problem : Only one language in the list

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »