Louis_PM
Louis_PM
Canada
Local time: 11:46
English to French
+ ...
Jul 30, 2014

Hi,

another freelancer and I are collaborating, and while we use different projects to work, we use the same TM, as well as the same termbase. So far, using the same TM has not caused any problems, but we're having a little issue with our termbase. I updated a picklist with additional value, so as to classify some terms more appropriately. However, my collaborator is unable to pick those new values from the updated termbase field.

Our termbase is hosted on Dropbox so we
... See more
Hi,

another freelancer and I are collaborating, and while we use different projects to work, we use the same TM, as well as the same termbase. So far, using the same TM has not caused any problems, but we're having a little issue with our termbase. I updated a picklist with additional value, so as to classify some terms more appropriately. However, my collaborator is unable to pick those new values from the updated termbase field.

Our termbase is hosted on Dropbox so we can share resources.

Any advice as to why the value from the picklist are not updating properly for my comrade-in-translation?

Thanks for any tip! Will offer no reward, but undying gratitude

Louis
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:46
English
Most likely because... Jul 31, 2014

... sharing termbases like this is not supported unless you use MultiTerm Server as part of SDL Groupshare. I think your best bet is to update the termbase definition locally and then share it again.

Neither TM nor TB sharing are supported without using Groupshare but as you have discovered it is something that can work on the whole. Restrictions are not imposed by us, they are just inherent with this kind of filebased solution which is why we use something different in Groupshare
... See more
... sharing termbases like this is not supported unless you use MultiTerm Server as part of SDL Groupshare. I think your best bet is to update the termbase definition locally and then share it again.

Neither TM nor TB sharing are supported without using Groupshare but as you have discovered it is something that can work on the whole. Restrictions are not imposed by us, they are just inherent with this kind of filebased solution which is why we use something different in Groupshare.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Louis_PM
Louis_PM
Canada
Local time: 11:46
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conflicts and synchronization Aug 1, 2014

Hi,

it seems there are currently two termbanks being used. I believe this occured as I was adding new fields to the termbank, and my collaborator used the termbank simultaneously, thus creating another copy, as it becomes impossible to save a file if another instance of this same file is open at that time.

That would explain why our fields were different. My collaborator kept using and feeding the non-updated TB, while I started using the updated one.

Basic
... See more
Hi,

it seems there are currently two termbanks being used. I believe this occured as I was adding new fields to the termbank, and my collaborator used the termbank simultaneously, thus creating another copy, as it becomes impossible to save a file if another instance of this same file is open at that time.

That would explain why our fields were different. My collaborator kept using and feeding the non-updated TB, while I started using the updated one.

Basically, what this means is that collaborative work with TB can be hazardous over Dropbox. Does anyone know a workaround, beside using Groupshare? SDL's software is usually rather expensive, so if I could avoid buying it, that would be a relief.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Picklist values not updating using Multiterm 2011 with Dropbox

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »