Thread poster: Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:46
Member (2008)
English to German
Aug 26, 2014

This is something that really drives me nuts in Trados 2014: Ever so often (typically 4-5 times per day) the overwrite mode in the editor gets activated. Even after many years I have not found out how this occurs, but it does.

Is there any way to turn off the overwrite mode permanently? (I know, to go back to a normal work mode, I press "Insert" - which sucks, since I work on a Mac with Parallels Desktop. Using the Insert key always means productivity-killing mouse job
... See more
This is something that really drives me nuts in Trados 2014: Ever so often (typically 4-5 times per day) the overwrite mode in the editor gets activated. Even after many years I have not found out how this occurs, but it does.

Is there any way to turn off the overwrite mode permanently? (I know, to go back to a normal work mode, I press "Insert" - which sucks, since I work on a Mac with Parallels Desktop. Using the Insert key always means productivity-killing mouse jobs)

Tips, tricks and hacks would be very welcome.

SDL: If you should read this, please count it as a vote to abolish this utterly useless and productivity-killing feature from Trados.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:46
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Fn+Enter, reassign or disable the Insert key Aug 26, 2014

The easiest way would be to leave everything as is and just turn off overwrite mode by using the Fn+Enter key combination on the Mac.

You probably enter overwrite mode because you accidentally press a certain key (likely part of a key combination that you use reguraly) that on the Mac turns on the overwrite mode. If indeed so, an easy workaround is to reassign that key.

To disable overwrite mode permanently, you would have to disable the insert key on Windows and/or its
... See more
The easiest way would be to leave everything as is and just turn off overwrite mode by using the Fn+Enter key combination on the Mac.

You probably enter overwrite mode because you accidentally press a certain key (likely part of a key combination that you use reguraly) that on the Mac turns on the overwrite mode. If indeed so, an easy workaround is to reassign that key.

To disable overwrite mode permanently, you would have to disable the insert key on Windows and/or its equivalent on the Mac (probably). Quite a drastic measure that I personally wouldn't recommend as the first course of action.
Collapse

Pierre Fleutot
Pierre Fleutot
Argentina
Local time: 05:46
English to French
+ ...
Don't disable the INS key May 5, 2015

Old thread, but the right solution might be there and help someone.

Disabling the INS key doesn't solve the problem.
It is necessary to change shortcuts of others applications like Babylon or Oxford Dictionary.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deactivate Overwrite Mode in Trados 2014

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »