Studio 2014 Failed to save target content: Problem when converting to original file type
Thread poster: Marie Harada
Marie Harada
Marie Harada
Canada
Local time: 14:30
English to Japanese
Aug 27, 2014

Dear colleagues,

I get error when I try to save target in the original file format. The error message says "Failed to save target content: Problem when converting to original file type."

Does anyone know how to solve this error?

I received ttx files and source files (docx and pptx) from the client. I only need to deliver translated ttx files, however I want to review the files in the original format to make sure everything looks good.

I tried
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I get error when I try to save target in the original file format. The error message says "Failed to save target content: Problem when converting to original file type."

Does anyone know how to solve this error?

I received ttx files and source files (docx and pptx) from the client. I only need to deliver translated ttx files, however I want to review the files in the original format to make sure everything looks good.

I tried saving the original files in the same folder as ttx files, but it didn't work.

Thank you!
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 05:30
English to Italian
+ ...
Possible solutions Aug 27, 2014

Hi Marie,

Can you try one of the following?

Method 1:
- Try to open the source files directly

Method 2:
- Open source files, save with a different format (older for PPT and RTF for DOC/DOCX files)

Method 3:
- If method one doesn't work, use TTXIt to built new TTX files from sources (try with both old sources and new sources you created with method 2

Method 4: try to open the TTX or the source files with TagEditor
... See more
Hi Marie,

Can you try one of the following?

Method 1:
- Try to open the source files directly

Method 2:
- Open source files, save with a different format (older for PPT and RTF for DOC/DOCX files)

Method 3:
- If method one doesn't work, use TTXIt to built new TTX files from sources (try with both old sources and new sources you created with method 2

Method 4: try to open the TTX or the source files with TagEditor (not Studio) then RESAVE them, then try to open them with Studio.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Enrico

[Edited at 2014-08-27 03:57 GMT]
Collapse

Marie Harada
Marie Harada
Canada
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 27, 2014

Hello Enrico,

Thank you for suggesting your solution.

I ended up creating a new project using original files (DOC/DOCX, PPT instead of TTX) and re-translating them with TM.
I will try the suggested method when I encounter the similar error next time.

Have a great day,
Marie

Sarah Jackowski
Sarah Jackowski
Germany
Local time: 23:30
English to German
With which tool did they make the ttx? Aug 28, 2014

Marie Harada wrote:

Hello Enrico,

I ended up creating a new project using original files (DOC/DOCX, PPT instead of TTX) and re-translating them with TM.

Have a great day,
Marie

Is it possible that they created the ttx files with 2007? I had some situations where docx files could not be cleaned when they were created with 2007.

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 05:30
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Aug 29, 2014

Sarah_Tiffany wrote:

Marie Harada wrote:

Hello Enrico,

Have a great day,
Marie

Is it possible that they created the ttx files with 2007? I had some situations where docx files could not be cleaned when they were created with 2007.

That is very possible. That is why all my solutions are based on legacy systems to build a bridge with the new ones. Often files made with 2007 cause issues on Studio.

Marie Harada
Marie Harada
Canada
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 8 Aug 29, 2014

I've been told that they use "Trados 8" so that's 2007.

My client weren't able to open some of the TTX files I delivered, which I exported from Studio 2014, due to a compatibility problem.
They asked me to resend those files, so instead of exporting from Studio, I used a plugin to convert SDL XLIFE to TTX. I don't have access to legacy system, so the plugin was a lifesaver...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 Failed to save target content: Problem when converting to original file type

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »