Patti Maselli
Patti Maselli  Identity Verified
Martinique
Local time: 07:46
Member (2013)
French to English
Aug 29, 2014

Hello,

I have a good relationship with my Trados 2011. It does what I want it to do almost all the time. When I have problems, I hit the forums (Emma Goldsmith, you are the greatest!!). My problem is that I am afraid of any kind of update (Java, Trados 2014, etc.). Am I being unreasonable?

I am curious to read what you have to say. Thank you.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:46
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
My 2 cents Aug 29, 2014

Dear Patti,

in my humble opinion, you're not being unreasonably cautious. Up to now, each and every update has, while possibly solving some old issues, brought new ones.

The question is: Does the update offer anything new that you would consider so useful that you are prepared to risk running into new problems? This is a question that only you can answer.

As far as I am concerned, I really find 2014 more useful and powerful than 2011 (especially with the f
... See more
Dear Patti,

in my humble opinion, you're not being unreasonably cautious. Up to now, each and every update has, while possibly solving some old issues, brought new ones.

The question is: Does the update offer anything new that you would consider so useful that you are prepared to risk running into new problems? This is a question that only you can answer.

As far as I am concerned, I really find 2014 more useful and powerful than 2011 (especially with the final advent of the alignment editor), and while most of the old issues I had with 2011 persist, I haven't run into too many new ones.

HTH,
Erik
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:46
English to Spanish
The reasons why I will not upgrade to 2014 and possibly not to 2016 either Aug 29, 2014

Erik has summed up very nicely the two fundamental reasons why I have decided not to upgrade to any further version of Trados Studio above 2011, unless SDL starts offering a truly finished product, not one in permanent beta state.

Reason No. 1:
Erik Freitag wrote:

... each and every update has, while possibly solving some old issues, brought new ones.

Reason No. 2:
Erik Freitag wrote:

... most of the old issues I had with 2011 persist [in 2014]...

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 19:46
English to German
+ ...
2014 is better than 2011 Aug 30, 2014

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Erik has summed up very nicely the two fundamental reasons why I have decided not to upgrade to any further version of Trados Studio above 2011, unless SDL starts offering a truly finished product, not one in permanent beta state.

Reason No. 1:
Erik Freitag wrote:

... each and every update has, while possibly solving some old issues, brought new ones.

Reason No. 2:
Erik Freitag wrote:

... most of the old issues I had with 2011 persist [in 2014]...

2014 is substantially better than 2011. If you're going to work with Studio, you should upgrade to 2014, if for no other reason than that they finally implemented AUTOSAVE.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:46
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
2 reasons and more Aug 30, 2014

Here are the 2 main reasons why I think it's worth upgrading to Studio 2014:

1. QuickMerge (merge any number of files in any order on the fly)
2. Export comments inserted in Studio to your target .docx file

Here are some more reasons:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/01/studio-2014-part-1/

and - in c
... See more
Here are the 2 main reasons why I think it's worth upgrading to Studio 2014:

1. QuickMerge (merge any number of files in any order on the fly)
2. Export comments inserted in Studio to your target .docx file

Here are some more reasons:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/01/studio-2014-part-1/

and - in case you're not convinced yet - some more:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/09/studio-2014-part-2/

P.S. Many thanks for your kind words, Patti, but there are many people greater than me in the world of Trados and elsewhere!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If it ain't broke...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »