Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:18
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 4, 2014

Hi, Paul. I have been reading the BeGlobal error thread - I see the word count/character per day limitation, OK - 4K words seems reasonable, I have no idea about characters but I'm guessing the 2014 character count is a fair equivalence to the same thing. I accept it all.

However.

Since I installed the upgrade, BeGlobal is no longer available as an option at all. BeGlobal Enterprise, yes, but the one I used to use so happily, no. I have tried reverting to the SDL Automa
... See more
Hi, Paul. I have been reading the BeGlobal error thread - I see the word count/character per day limitation, OK - 4K words seems reasonable, I have no idea about characters but I'm guessing the 2014 character count is a fair equivalence to the same thing. I accept it all.

However.

Since I installed the upgrade, BeGlobal is no longer available as an option at all. BeGlobal Enterprise, yes, but the one I used to use so happily, no. I have tried reverting to the SDL Automated translation connection, but it fails almost immediately (connection error) just like it used to. In the three segments it showed a return for before errorring, the quality level was poor, also just like it used to be (the BeGlobal quality level was pretty good a lot of the time).

I could not see one thing that the cloud 'solution' offered me that could tempt me into thinking my life would be better.

I am still without a workable free AT solution within Trados.

I have kept writing and not posting my complaints about this, waiting for my anger levels to reduce so that I can write a post without ranting, but the rant keeps coming back out so, since I need a solution, I'm just going to have to give the rant its way.

I really do not approve of major changes to service provision being installed as a 'service pack'. I foolishly assumed that a service pack would, as per industry parlance, contain bug fixes and minor enhancements. I certainly did not expect it to contain major feature changes and absolutely did not expect UNANNOUNCED LOSS OF CORE FUNCTIONALITY. I would never have installed it if I'd realised, and I would like to roll it back if there is no way to get me what was a perfectly good working solution back. I am deeply not happy with how it has been handled on SDL's part. I am honestly ready to drop the damn thing and go over to MemoQ as my CAT tool, their product is good and their attitude is - well, respectful of its users, even the smaller ones like all the many freelance translators out there who make up a huge part of the CAT tool customer base. SDL are not renowned for taking much notice of that part of their customer base. I'm just fed up.

Still like you, though
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
microsoft translator hub Sep 4, 2014

I think microsoft translator hub is a far better choice that this MT offered by SDL.
The reason is that microsoft translator hub can be trained with your own translation memories (a training that can take some days), while the new SDL solution integrated in Trados can be trained only with termbases and is therefore less precise compared to microsoft solution.
Moreover, microsoft translator is free.

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Bruno - does it integrate into Trados? (easily for plebs?!) Sep 4, 2014

Thanks for your comment Bruno. I am unfamiliar with this - and a little suspicious of tying myself further to MS, but I don't outright reject the concept, certainly. Can you tell me anything about its integration (if any) within Trados? Or is it a purely external tool? Or do feel free to point me at relevant documentation

I really do feel Trados needs to start taking its mid-market more seriously and offering function
... See more
Thanks for your comment Bruno. I am unfamiliar with this - and a little suspicious of tying myself further to MS, but I don't outright reject the concept, certainly. Can you tell me anything about its integration (if any) within Trados? Or is it a purely external tool? Or do feel free to point me at relevant documentation

I really do feel Trados needs to start taking its mid-market more seriously and offering functionality and flexible modularised purchase options that suit them.
Collapse

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:18
English to Italian
Info Sep 4, 2014

Hello
I am from SDL ... just sharing my thoughts.

Machine translation engines perform in different ways for different languages and type of content. Therefore depending on what you are translating you might get better results with one or another.

I use LanguageCloud - ie the SDL offering for English to Italian and the results are pretty good. But I know on other languages the results might not be at the same level of quality.

In regards to training t
... See more
Hello
I am from SDL ... just sharing my thoughts.

Machine translation engines perform in different ways for different languages and type of content. Therefore depending on what you are translating you might get better results with one or another.

I use LanguageCloud - ie the SDL offering for English to Italian and the results are pretty good. But I know on other languages the results might not be at the same level of quality.

In regards to training the engines we found that to get significantly better results it is necessary to train the engine with very clean translation memories and potentially very large amount of data.

We do have a trainable offering which allows to train the engines as well as customizing terms and brands, but many people just don't have enough data to improve the quality of the engine. This is why we thought it was a good idea to launch the vertical engines which can deliver improved results without having to train the engine. Of course they are currently available for a limited amount of languages and vertical but it is a start.

Terms and brands are also something that can be easily added and provide instant improvement to the machine translation results without to need huge volumes of data.

I just thought it was worth to explain our reasoning behind it.

Kind regards
Massi
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Microsoft translator works in Trados 2014 Sep 4, 2014

Sian Cooper wrote:

I really do feel Trados needs to start taking its mid-market more seriously and offering functionality and flexible modularised purchase options that suit them.

Dear Sian,
Yes, there is a tool to integrate it (via API) in Trados 2014.
I followed this tutorial: http://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=357465.0
You should first create an account in microsoft translator hub, where you can train your system, then you have to create an account in Azure marketplace.
You can send me a private message if you need further information.
Bruno

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Massi - as you say, 'potentially very large amount of data' Sep 5, 2014

Hi, Massi. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I do not doubt that the cloud solution is good for some users - I believe, though, that your feedback actually proves my point that this is geared towards the big customers, not the small and mid-range freelancers/small agencies. I, for example, have built up some decent sized TMs over a few years - I get very good Auto-suggest results, having shelled out for that - but hardly have what could be called a 'very large amount of data'; nor do I h... See more
Hi, Massi. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I do not doubt that the cloud solution is good for some users - I believe, though, that your feedback actually proves my point that this is geared towards the big customers, not the small and mid-range freelancers/small agencies. I, for example, have built up some decent sized TMs over a few years - I get very good Auto-suggest results, having shelled out for that - but hardly have what could be called a 'very large amount of data'; nor do I have the time (sadly) to ensure I have 'very clean translation memories' (and in fact I would be most interested to know what your definition of 'very clean' is).

Another point is that, since you work for SDL, I suppose that you do not have to pay for your use of these services, or for your Trados solution or support. Nice. Not so nice for the small translator, for whom the cost of using Trados is ever escalating.

I quite recognise that different languages and different subject areas will give different results. My language pairs are very common - FR and ES to EN - so one would expect fairly decent results, with a large database availability for most MTs. I have been doing some relatively technical/science-oriented stuff recently, and I was extremely pleased with the Be Global results (very surprised, in fact). So, Be Global was a very useful performance improver, even if I almost never accepted the actual solution proposed (and sometimes it gave me a good laugh).

So my comment about the poor quality of the SDL Automated translation engine is in comparison to the much lamented Be Global. But even if the Automated translation engine quality were good, its reliability is nil.

I am quite certain that I did not manage to get to grips with the cloud solution at all during the trial period. From memory I'm not sure what your 'vertical engines' are, or how to have implemented them, or whether anything remotely resembling what I wanted was in there. I found dictionaries, and I don't want dictionaries. I did indeed take the MT for a spin and was unimpressed. But impressed or not, I could not see how to implement it.

The solution needed to hand-hold me so that I could get up and running immediately, since the service pack had interrupted a high-pressure job and removed Be Global for me. I found no immediate solution to my needs - actually, I found nothing that looked even similar to a solution for me.

My trial is now finished and I have absolutely no desire to spend any money looking further.

I have also always tended towards being an early adopter, not just for Trados; but I now have no intention of implementing any future Trados upgrade or service pack without having given at least 2 months for the flack to settle. Not least that I was a very early 2014 product purchaser, and could have saved myself about 200€ if I'd just waited for all the special discount offers to come along.
Collapse

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Bruno - thanks, I'll look into it Sep 5, 2014

Thanks for the feedback, Bruno. I shall certainly have a look to see if this is something I have the patience to set up (my technical patience levels are very low!).

I do appreciate the information, thanks again.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Confusion Sep 5, 2014

Hi Sian,

I think there is just a lot of confusion. There is a free option of Language Cloud for Studio Users after the trial if you do not need or want to benefit from trained engines. The free baseline is an enhanced version of the older BeGlobal Community baseline you have been using.

See point 1 in this article:
<
... See more
Hi Sian,

I think there is just a lot of confusion. There is a free option of Language Cloud for Studio Users after the trial if you do not need or want to benefit from trained engines. The free baseline is an enhanced version of the older BeGlobal Community baseline you have been using.

See point 1 in this article:
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5287

There's also a waltkthrough video on how to set things up in Studio (skip ahead to minute 3:45 if you don't want dictionaries):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzrvRJgV6s

Thanks,
Luis

[Edited at 2014-09-05 13:00 GMT]
Collapse

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@ Luis AT LAST some hand holding! Sep 5, 2014

Thank you Luis! I havn't looked at your links yet, but I'm sure they will answer at least part of my complaints, if not all.

I had posted about 3 weeks ago saying it needed some hand holding explanation to get people off the ground. I still think that is so - I admit I was extremely pressed for time when looking at it, but I am also mega impatient with an interface for a new (imposed) solution that does not show me an immediate supported path for the new equivalence to my previous
... See more
Thank you Luis! I havn't looked at your links yet, but I'm sure they will answer at least part of my complaints, if not all.

I had posted about 3 weeks ago saying it needed some hand holding explanation to get people off the ground. I still think that is so - I admit I was extremely pressed for time when looking at it, but I am also mega impatient with an interface for a new (imposed) solution that does not show me an immediate supported path for the new equivalence to my previous solution. I may be being a mega-dumb user here, but I'm not normally (normally...). My overall feeling about how this has been rolled out is sincerely negative. Maybe with this info. I will soften up a bit.

Thanks for your input.
Collapse

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Luis - but... it errors. Cannot access the cloud service Sep 5, 2014

May be totally unconnected but so you have the full context. At some point I tried the MemSource (I think it was called) add in. It required a paid subscription which did not interest me, and gave me an error message whenever I opened Trados. I have uninstalled it using add/remove programs. I now no longer get that error message.

However, deciding to try to follow the Cloud path again, when selecting to add SDL Language Cloud to an existing project, I now get error:

'Co
... See more
May be totally unconnected but so you have the full context. At some point I tried the MemSource (I think it was called) add in. It required a paid subscription which did not interest me, and gave me an error message whenever I opened Trados. I have uninstalled it using add/remove programs. I now no longer get that error message.

However, deciding to try to follow the Cloud path again, when selecting to add SDL Language Cloud to an existing project, I now get error:

'Could not load file 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version = 4.5.0.0, Culture = neutral, Public key token (long number) or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified'

Source is SDL.LanguageCloud.MTProvider.

I can send you the stack trace.

Any suggestions welcome. Returned to miffed-ness at the moment.

By the way my mega project is starting up again on Monday. Would be more than pleasant to have this available by then.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2014-09-05 20:03 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
KB article Sep 8, 2014

Good morning Sian,

Could you try the following steps: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5298

That should help resolve it.

Thanks,
Luis

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
FINALLY it all makes sense (and works) Sep 8, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion Luis - there's a basic bit of Windows functionality I wasn't aware of!

I will note that I did not get this error message when I started up Trados, only when I tried to select the SDL Language cloud TM option within a project.

So, after some confusion because 'subscription' to me means 'paid', I now at last have access to the free (600,000 chars/month) service, and now dictionaries also at last make sense! (at least - I'm assuming they will work
... See more
Thanks for the suggestion Luis - there's a basic bit of Windows functionality I wasn't aware of!

I will note that I did not get this error message when I started up Trados, only when I tried to select the SDL Language cloud TM option within a project.

So, after some confusion because 'subscription' to me means 'paid', I now at last have access to the free (600,000 chars/month) service, and now dictionaries also at last make sense! (at least - I'm assuming they will work as an online glossary with auto-suggest type functionality - Term Base without the bells and whistles - I may be over-assuming)

Thank the lord for that.

And thank you for your help.

Mind you - I havn't actually tried using it yet. We shall see how it comes up.
Collapse

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Ah... but cannot create dictionaries on free version? Sep 8, 2014

Is that right, Luis? I can appreciate that for free I don't get pre-created dics., but is the expectation also that we cannot create our own? (seems reasonable, just checking).

As long as it doesn't stop my Term Bases working I don't care, just wondering.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Dictionaries Sep 8, 2014

The dictionaries are not a replacement for your termbases.

It allows you to further improve MT results based on your dictionaries. You can upload your MultiTerm Termbase and when you get a MT result and one of the terms in your dictionary is found, it will replace using that.

You can see a good example in Paul's screenshot
... See more
The dictionaries are not a replacement for your termbases.

It allows you to further improve MT results based on your dictionaries. You can upload your MultiTerm Termbase and when you get a MT result and one of the terms in your dictionary is found, it will replace using that.

You can see a good example in Paul's screenshots here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/273475-hide_batch_list_of_words_in_excel_before_translation.html

Thanks,
Luis

[Edited at 2014-09-08 11:02 GMT]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:18
Member (2004)
English to Italian
subscribed to the free option... Sep 8, 2014

created an API (not sure if I needed to do this), but Language Cloud is not available as an option in Studio: Project Settings>All language Pairs>Add... am I missing something?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BeGlobal not even an option

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »