Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Studio 2014 for €395? I just paid €470 in a TGB...
Thread poster: Colin Smith
dropinka (X)
dropinka (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Link Sep 11, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Where do you find that information (that the Freelance Plus edition is EUR 555)?

According to the web page I visited, it's EUR 855 for the Freelance Plus edition.

I don't speak French, so I can't tell whether the advertisement is offering the Plus version or not. The non-Plus version's ordinary price is EUR 695.00 (which is EUR 300 more than EUR 395), so that would mean that the advertisement talks about the non-Plus version.

Hi Samuel,

I believe Colin was referring to the current offers available here:
http://www.translationzone.com/shop/freelance-translator/

Claudia

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:12
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's good to talk... Sep 12, 2014

Indeed it turns out that what we bought for € 470 via the 1 September TGB was the Freelance Plus version (which allows two activations). Which I don't actually need, as my backup PC runs WinXP. At the time it was still cheaper than the Freelance version at retail price, so I bought it nonetheless.

Anyway, it would have nice to know at the time that there was a significantly better offer on Freelance coming up two days later...

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Weapons - no. Ultimatum - yes. Sep 12, 2014

Erik Freitag wrote:

Colin Smith wrote:

I didn't consider it fair, or unfair for that matter. I had no choice (this was a client-forced purchase) and this was the cheapest way to buy it - or so it seemed.

How did your client "force" you to purchase the software? Did he use weapons? You're running a business - if you think you make enough ROI on the purchase, you buy - ultimately it's your client who pays for the software. Otherwise, drop the client. He can't "force" you to buy software.

I work mainly for three major financial/banking translation agencies in continental Europe. Not customers that can be easily replaced, given the volumes they send me. Two of them basically said they wouldn't give me any more work if I didn't upgrade to Studio (ironic as I had been nagging one of them since 2006 to get properly organised with CAT tools!). The third has gone for MemoQ, (which would have been my preference too), but they don't mind if I use Studio.

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 09:12
English to French
Updating from Studio 2011 Freelance to Studio 2014 Freelance special offer? Sep 12, 2014

Hello,

Just a quick question related to Trados: are there any special offers to update from Studio 2011 Freelance edition to Studio 2014 Freelance edition in general during the year?

On my SDL account I see that the standard price for the update is 245 euros (therefore close to the 395 euros needed to buy Studio 2014 Freelance currently).

Also please could someone explain to me what this type of licence is? It's indicated on my account, but I never encount
... See more
Hello,

Just a quick question related to Trados: are there any special offers to update from Studio 2011 Freelance edition to Studio 2014 Freelance edition in general during the year?

On my SDL account I see that the standard price for the update is 245 euros (therefore close to the 395 euros needed to buy Studio 2014 Freelance currently).

Also please could someone explain to me what this type of licence is? It's indicated on my account, but I never encountered that term before (Nalpeiron):

1 x SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance

Nalpeiron License
(NLP-STD-FRE-11)

Regards,

[Edited at 2014-09-12 22:44 GMT]
Collapse

George Cook
George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Simple bad luck Sep 15, 2014

I'm afraid I don't understand the fuss about this. You bought something at the price it was at the time (in fact you got a reasonable deal through the TGB).

A couple of days later, the price is reduced. That's your bad luck.

If I buy a bottle of wine at the supermarket for £10 one week, and I go back the next week and it's on offer at £7, that doesn't give me the right to a £3 refund; it's my bad luck.

Yes, it's very annoying when this happens, but that'
... See more
I'm afraid I don't understand the fuss about this. You bought something at the price it was at the time (in fact you got a reasonable deal through the TGB).

A couple of days later, the price is reduced. That's your bad luck.

If I buy a bottle of wine at the supermarket for £10 one week, and I go back the next week and it's on offer at £7, that doesn't give me the right to a £3 refund; it's my bad luck.

Yes, it's very annoying when this happens, but that's life, unfortunately!
Collapse

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course you wouldn't be bothered Sep 15, 2014

...over 3 quid on a bottle of wine. You would just buy another two or three to average down your cost.

But if you had bought a dozen cases at the higher price, you wouldn't be feeling so clever, would you?

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and... Sep 15, 2014

you can't get drunk on Trados, to the best of my knowledge, so the comparison is rather tenuous

George Cook
George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Same principle Sep 16, 2014

Colin Smith wrote:

But if you had bought a dozen cases at the higher price, you wouldn't be feeling so clever, would you?

True, but it would still be my problem, rather than the vendor's. They're entitled to change the price of what they sell at any time without prior notice.

Where would the cut-off be? If you'd bought Trados at at lower price via the TGB six months ago, and they then changed the price today so it was lower than you paid, would you still be suggesting they should refund the difference?

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:12
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
No. of activations Sep 16, 2014

Colin Smith wrote:

...two activations). Which I don't actually need, as my backup PC runs WinXP.

I'm curious, what difference does XP make in terms of the number of activations? Or doesn't Studio even run on XP, so you'd never use the 2nd activation?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 for €395? I just paid €470 in a TGB...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »