Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio 2014 for €395? I just paid €470 in a TGB...
Thread poster: Colin Smith
Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
French to English
+ ...
Sep 11, 2014

Having just bought Studio 2014 on 1 September 2014, for the "bargain" price of € 470 via a proz.com TGB, I was surprised to receive the following email:

"Économisez 300 euros

Offre anniversaire sur SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance ou Plus pour les nouvelles licences*

Acheter maintenant

À partir de 395 €"

I presume SDL will refund me the difference?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well, well... Sep 11, 2014

The ad says "à partir de"...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Well, you did get a discount on the full price Sep 11, 2014

Colin Smith wrote:
Having just bought Studio 2014 on 1 September 2014, for the "bargain" price of € 470 via a proz.com TGB, I was surprised to receive the following email:

...À partir de 395 €"

The full price is EUR 855, so if you got it for EUR 470, you already got a bargain, don't you think?

I would not presume that. They previously indicated to you that they'd be willing to accept an offer of EUR 470 for the product, and you considered it a fair amount, and offered them that amount, and they accepted. Now you discover that they might have sold you the product if you had offered them only EUR 395. That does not cancel the validity of the original sale nor does it change (in retrospect) your willingness at that time to pay EUR 470 for it. There is no rule that says all customers should always get the highest discount possible (although I have learnt that it is "normal" in e.g. the United States for customers to return-and-rebuy goods if those goods become available on sale for less than what they paid for it).

[Edited at 2014-09-11 12:26 GMT]

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Er...no, actually Sep 11, 2014

it's not a bargain if I could have bought it two days later for €395, is it?

A TGB is a batch buy that is supposed to net us a discount, not a premium!

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
If you feel strongly about it Sep 11, 2014

contact the company. Something similar happened to me a number of years ago. I bought a discounted version of SDL Trados then almost immediately found it for less directly on their website, though I can't remember the exact circumstances. I got in touch with the sales agent I had been in contact with about it, and then I did get the cheaper version with the original amount being refunded. That is called "good customer service". It can't hurt to try, even though the time elapsed may be a little l... See more
contact the company. Something similar happened to me a number of years ago. I bought a discounted version of SDL Trados then almost immediately found it for less directly on their website, though I can't remember the exact circumstances. I got in touch with the sales agent I had been in contact with about it, and then I did get the cheaper version with the original amount being refunded. That is called "good customer service". It can't hurt to try, even though the time elapsed may be a little longer in your case.

I'm not sure I follow Samuel Murray's logic here, either. This was in Germany.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sure it's a bargain. Sep 11, 2014

Colin Smith wrote:

it's not a bargain if I could have bought it two days later for €395, is it?

A TGB is a batch buy that is supposed to net us a discount, not a premium!

As Samuel said, you did get a discount that you considered fair.

Certainly, you're not entitled to always get a product for the lowest price that it will ever be sold at, or to be refunded to that effect. On the other hand, you might as well try and ask SDL if they are willing to offer a refund as a goodwill. Maybe the will, maybe not. They certainly are not obliged to do that. I agree that I prefer companies that set a fair price for their goods and stick to it, instead of stating fantasy prices just so they can bait customers with large discounts.

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have.. Sep 11, 2014

..spoken to SDL, yes, they are "going to look at it and get back to me".

It's just good customer relations really. Even clothes retailers have got into the habit of saying "come back on Wednesday and you'll get it for 30% less" when they know an item is going to be discounted in the imminent sale.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Samuel is spot on here Sep 11, 2014

Woodstock wrote:

As far as I can see, Samuels reasoning represents the legal situation in Germany spot on.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-09-11 13:01 GMT]

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Sep 11, 2014

[/quote]As Samuel said, you did get a discount that you considered fair.

[/quote]

I didn't consider it fair, or unfair for that matter. I had no choice (this was a client-forced purchase) and this was the cheapest way to buy it - or so it seemed.

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
maybe... Sep 11, 2014

Erik Freitag wrote:

Woodstock wrote:

As far as I can see, Samuels reasoning represents the legal situation in Germany spot on.

But neither SDL, my customers or I are in or in anyway related to Germany...

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Fairness Sep 11, 2014

Colin Smith wrote:

I didn't consider it fair, or unfair for that matter. I had no choice (this was a client-forced purchase) and this was the cheapest way to buy it - or so it seemed.

I mean "fair" in the sense that you voluntarily agreed to buy it for that price. How did your client "force" you to purchase the software? Did he use weapons? You're running a business - if you think you make enough ROI on the purchase, you buy - ultimately it's your client who pays for the software. Otherwise, drop the client. He can't "force" you to buy software.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sorry Sep 11, 2014

Colin Smith wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:

Woodstock wrote:

But neither SDL, my customers or I are in or in anyway related to Germany...

Indeed, I'm sorry - it wasn't you who mentioned Germany.

dropinka (X)
dropinka (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
You bought the *Freelance Plus* edition Sep 11, 2014

Colin Smith wrote:

"Économisez 300 euros

Offre anniversaire sur SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance ou Plus pour les nouvelles licences*

Acheter maintenant

À partir de 395 €"

Hi Colin,

If you bought it via a ProZ TGB, you bought the *Freelance Plus* edition which now costs €555. €395 is the current price of the "standard" edition, which was not available through the TGB. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Claudia

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Yikes! Sep 11, 2014

I see my rather insignificant contribution being dragged from comment to comment now. Please! My case happened in Germany some years ago, and it was handled just as it would have been in my native US, which actually surprised me at the time - Germany's idea of "customer service" has usually been quite at variance with what I was accustomed to in the States. That the term "bargain" is relative was my ONLY thought re SMurray's post. I certainly did not intend for my innocent anecdotal story to get... See more
I see my rather insignificant contribution being dragged from comment to comment now. Please! My case happened in Germany some years ago, and it was handled just as it would have been in my native US, which actually surprised me at the time - Germany's idea of "customer service" has usually been quite at variance with what I was accustomed to in the States. That the term "bargain" is relative was my ONLY thought re SMurray's post. I certainly did not intend for my innocent anecdotal story to get so much attention, especially when people start mentioning legal situations behind it all, which I have no knowledge of nor interest in. It happened that way, period. Perhaps my reference was a bit ambiguous, but certainly not reason enough to veer off into an entirely different discussion. Anyhow, I hope the situation is settled to the original poster's satisfaction.

[Edited at 2014-09-11 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Claudia Sep 11, 2014

Claudia Benetello wrote:
If you bought it via a ProZ TGB, you bought the *Freelance Plus* edition which now costs €555.

Where do you find that information (that the Freelance Plus edition is EUR 555)?

According to the web page I visited, it's EUR 855 for the Freelance Plus edition.

I don't speak French, so I can't tell whether the advertisement is offering the Plus version or not. The non-Plus version's ordinary price is EUR 695.00 (which is EUR 300 more than EUR 395), so that would mean that the advertisement talks about the non-Plus version.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 for €395? I just paid €470 in a TGB...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »