Creating a TM from Excel files?
Thread poster: pantransnet
pantransnet
pantransnet
South Korea
Local time: 02:40
Sep 16, 2014

Hello, There.

Well, I've hit the wall for finding out the way to creat a TM from Excel file using SDL 2009 or 2011.

I used to create TM from Excel file by using a feature 'Align' in SDLX when I was using Trados 2007.

It was okay, but took a lot of time.

So, as SDL 2009 or 2011 are much more advanced, I was wondering if there's any way that I can import and create TM from Excel files.

I have Excel file which has
... See more
Hello, There.

Well, I've hit the wall for finding out the way to creat a TM from Excel file using SDL 2009 or 2011.

I used to create TM from Excel file by using a feature 'Align' in SDLX when I was using Trados 2007.

It was okay, but took a lot of time.

So, as SDL 2009 or 2011 are much more advanced, I was wondering if there's any way that I can import and create TM from Excel files.

I have Excel file which has "Source" on row 'A' and "Translation" on row 'B'.

Q. Can I export directly from excel file?

Q. If not, can I export from seperate files, like I have done using 'Align' from SDLX?

Please send me an answer
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:40
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Simple Sep 16, 2014

Here's a simple way to do it:

- Save your bilingual Excel file as a "tab delimited" text file,
- Before you open it in Studio, go to Options>Filetype>Tab Delimited Text>Format and make sure that the source and target column numbers match your Excel file (by default column 1 is Source and column 2 is Target).
- Open the file for translation in Studio (and add a new TM) and click Ctrl+S to save the sdlxliff file.
- Go to batch tasks, select "update main translation
... See more
Here's a simple way to do it:

- Save your bilingual Excel file as a "tab delimited" text file,
- Before you open it in Studio, go to Options>Filetype>Tab Delimited Text>Format and make sure that the source and target column numbers match your Excel file (by default column 1 is Source and column 2 is Target).
- Open the file for translation in Studio (and add a new TM) and click Ctrl+S to save the sdlxliff file.
- Go to batch tasks, select "update main translation memory". In the wizard, enable the "not translated" segment status box to make sure all the segments go into the TM.

Done!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
An even easier, and fast way... Sep 16, 2014

... is to use the Glossary Converter from the OpenExchange.. This will convert a spreadsheet like that to a TMX very quickly. Then just upgrade the TMX in Studio.

Regards

Paul

Christian Hoel
Christian Hoel
United States
Segmentation Jan 26, 2015

Some of the cells in my Excel file have multiple sentences. Using the processes suggested above, I'm getting TUs/segments with multiple sentences.

Since I almost always use sentence segmentation when creating new projects, I'd prefer to always update my TMs with single sentence TUs.

Any suggestions on how to solve this dilemma?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Obviously... Jan 26, 2015

you need to chop those up before converting the file to tmx.
You can do that manually in excel, which is convenient if the file is very small, but it will take a lifetime if the file is large and there are many multi-sentence cells.
Alternatively, you can use an aligner. This is only worth the trouble if there are many multi-sentence cells. Copy column A into a text editor, save, copy column B to the text editor, save, then align the two txt files and you'll have your TMX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a TM from Excel files?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »