Thread poster: Natalie M
Natalie M
Natalie M
Germany
Local time: 02:41
German to English
Sep 17, 2014

Hi everyone,

I need a little help with a Trados problem that I'm having quite regularly now. I've searched the forum but haven't found anything similar.

I work for an agency who sends me project packages, and everything works fine at my end. I translate and send back the xliff. They then can't open the xliff so they ask me to send it again. I do, and it works fine the second time around. Today they sent me the error message that they get when they try to open the first
... See more
Hi everyone,

I need a little help with a Trados problem that I'm having quite regularly now. I've searched the forum but haven't found anything similar.

I work for an agency who sends me project packages, and everything works fine at my end. I translate and send back the xliff. They then can't open the xliff so they ask me to send it again. I do, and it works fine the second time around. Today they sent me the error message that they get when they try to open the first file that I send them.

"Unexpected error when detecting file type for file.

'(Folder name/File Name.docx.sdlxliff)'

Root element is missing."

Could it be because I'm using VMWare on a mac to run Trados? I've also noticed that when I send it the first time, the xliff attachment is just a white icon, the second time it is usually a black icon (but that is just something I noticed today, I'm sure that's not relevant).

I'm certain the file isn't corrupted, because it works the second time I send it without me having to change anything...

Grateful for any help at all!

Natalie

[Edited at 2014-09-17 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie M
Natalie M
Germany
Local time: 02:41
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
sdlxliff is empty Sep 17, 2014

OK, I figured it out. It was actually a very simple problem, it had to be since the solution was so simple.

I run Windows over VMWare and when I drop the sdlxliff straight from the windows virtual machine into the email on the apple desktop, it just drops an empty file in there that looks like an sdlxliff but has zero KB of information. When I copy and paste the file onto the apple desktop and then drop it in the email it has all the information in it.

Just thought I'd
... See more
OK, I figured it out. It was actually a very simple problem, it had to be since the solution was so simple.

I run Windows over VMWare and when I drop the sdlxliff straight from the windows virtual machine into the email on the apple desktop, it just drops an empty file in there that looks like an sdlxliff but has zero KB of information. When I copy and paste the file onto the apple desktop and then drop it in the email it has all the information in it.

Just thought I'd add this incase anyone ever has the same problem.
Collapse

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 03:41
English to Russian
+ ...
same error message but different problem Mar 24, 2015

I ran into the same problem after updating Studio 2014 SP2.
Got the same error message "unexpected error when detecting file type for file" and the second message saying the file does not exist.

This is how I solved the problem:

I opened the folder indicated in the error message and saw that the target sdlxliff file was renamed by the studio. It added some numbers to the file name. I removed the numbers in the file name and was able to open the file and continue w
... See more
I ran into the same problem after updating Studio 2014 SP2.
Got the same error message "unexpected error when detecting file type for file" and the second message saying the file does not exist.

This is how I solved the problem:

I opened the folder indicated in the error message and saw that the target sdlxliff file was renamed by the studio. It added some numbers to the file name. I removed the numbers in the file name and was able to open the file and continue with my translation project.

Hope this helps if you run into the same problem.
Collapse

Palladium

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 03:41
English to Russian
+ ...
other possible problem Mar 24, 2015

Same error message can be caused by other problems.

So here is another solution that may be helpful: https://community.sdl.com/products-solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/3218

If you used Studio 2014 SP1 or higher, have a look at the following folder:

c:\Users\\Documents\Studio 2014\AutoSave\... See more
Same error message can be caused by other problems.

So here is another solution that may be helpful: https://community.sdl.com/products-solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/3218

If you used Studio 2014 SP1 or higher, have a look at the following folder:

c:\Users\\Documents\Studio 2014\AutoSave\

(copied from SDL Community forum)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014: "Unexpected error when detecting file type..." error message

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »