Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:58
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2014

Hi guys,

A little help here would be really, really welcome. I am currently working on a document and am very new to the 2014 interface and options. I made a few changes here and there in the verification settings, but nothing that I can see that would affect the way numbers are changed over from the French to English convention.

At the moment, the source French numbers are being populated with French conventions in the target English segments. i.e. 1.400.000 is populat
... See more
Hi guys,

A little help here would be really, really welcome. I am currently working on a document and am very new to the 2014 interface and options. I made a few changes here and there in the verification settings, but nothing that I can see that would affect the way numbers are changed over from the French to English convention.

At the moment, the source French numbers are being populated with French conventions in the target English segments. i.e. 1.400.000 is populated as 1.400.000 not 1,400,000. No matter what i do to try and fix this, it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas what i am doing wrong? 2011 used to autopropagate numbers correctly from the first segment for the rest of the document. Now 2014 is autopropagating them incorrectly. I am convinced I must have a setting wrong somewhere therefore.

Help!
Thanks,
Huw
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
English
2011 vs 2014 Oct 2, 2014

Hi Huw,

I ran a few tests with an empty TM in both 2014 and in 2011. The results were exactly the same and Studio does not propagate 1.400.000 and 1,400,000 in either version.

The reason for this is because, according to the Microsoft National Language Support (NLS) API Reference which Studio uses for it's number recognition, the correct way to wr
... See more
Hi Huw,

I ran a few tests with an empty TM in both 2014 and in 2011. The results were exactly the same and Studio does not propagate 1.400.000 and 1,400,000 in either version.

The reason for this is because, according to the Microsoft National Language Support (NLS) API Reference which Studio uses for it's number recognition, the correct way to write this number in French is 1 400 000. If you test that you'll find the autolocalization behaves exactly as you wish.

So you have a couple of choices I think. The easiest, in my opinion, is to use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit to find all instances of x.xxx.xxx in the source and change them to x xxx xxx. Then Studio will behave as intended.

You could also do this in the source files themselves if you have a way to do this across all files easily?

You could change the target after the translation is finished. You cann do this in Studio or in the toolkit.

You could also play with the Terminjector from the openexchange which can enable you to correctly adapt these numbers as you work by inserting the correct localization for your needs into the TM results.

There a video here which shows how a similar problem, but with dates, is addressed in the very same ways described above.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:58
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 3, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thanks ever so much for your support and efforts with this. I managed to fix the issue by changing everything manually on this occasion - luckily there were not too many numbers.

However, I shall have a look at your solutions for future reference. If I am not mistaken from past experience, if the French has decimals i.e. 1.400.000,00 then Studio seems to pick up that it needs to localise the number.

Huw

Lingrus
Lingrus
German to Russian
+ ...
Similar, but still different problem Oct 25, 2014

I am translating a Word document from German to Russian in Studio 2014.
It has a lot of numbering in it.

Can anybody explain why Studio 2014 would do the following?

I "translated" 4.1.1 to 4.1.1
Studio then autopropagates
4.1.2 to 4.2.1
4.1.3 to 4.3.1
and so on.

The TM already has 4.1.2 in it, which does not stop Studio from autopropagating to 4.2.1 and making a confirmed context match of it.

Which settings do I ha
... See more
I am translating a Word document from German to Russian in Studio 2014.
It has a lot of numbering in it.

Can anybody explain why Studio 2014 would do the following?

I "translated" 4.1.1 to 4.1.1
Studio then autopropagates
4.1.2 to 4.2.1
4.1.3 to 4.3.1
and so on.

The TM already has 4.1.2 in it, which does not stop Studio from autopropagating to 4.2.1 and making a confirmed context match of it.

Which settings do I have to change to get rid of this behaviour?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
English
This is a problem because... Oct 25, 2014

... Studio is recognising part of the digits as numbers but not all of them. I can't reproduce this at the moment because I'm using a Beta version of Studio 2014 SP2 that has a new placeable recognition feature that actually handles this as expected. However, I am aware of the problem and created a video to explain how to resolve it here: http://youtu.be/fGzRiWBeMao

There is no sound with the v
... See more
... Studio is recognising part of the digits as numbers but not all of them. I can't reproduce this at the moment because I'm using a Beta version of Studio 2014 SP2 that has a new placeable recognition feature that actually handles this as expected. However, I am aware of the problem and created a video to explain how to resolve it here: http://youtu.be/fGzRiWBeMao

There is no sound with the video, and I did it a long time ago, but the principle will hopefully be clear.

The problem is basically caused by the author of the document not using proper numbering styles which Studio would safely handle. Instead they have manually created the numbering which causes the difficulty.

So the idea in the video is this:

1. Create a segmentation rule in your TM to separate the numbers onto different lines (if needed)
2. Filter them out with the display filter and lock them safely as you need them

The first seven segments how an incorrectly authored document which is what I think you have, and the rest show the same effect using proper styles in the source.

Hope this helps anyway.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Lingrus
Lingrus
German to Russian
+ ...
Thanks Oct 26, 2014

Thanks a lot, Paul. I guess this will solve the problem.
I did have the tab segmentation rule - what I didn't know was the search string "^\d".
This will do the trick.

Unfortunately, Studio has always been tuned to perfectly formatted texts (while translators have to cope with all kind of formatting errors all the time). I remember the shock when I realized that 2009 didn't allow merging segments beyond paragraph marks. A total no go. Now this problem can be solved by e
... See more
Thanks a lot, Paul. I guess this will solve the problem.
I did have the tab segmentation rule - what I didn't know was the search string "^\d".
This will do the trick.

Unfortunately, Studio has always been tuned to perfectly formatted texts (while translators have to cope with all kind of formatting errors all the time). I remember the shock when I realized that 2009 didn't allow merging segments beyond paragraph marks. A total no go. Now this problem can be solved by editing the source text within Studio (at least for certain file types), which is still much more cumbersome than in other products though.
And in 2014 SP 1 it often leads to crashes (at least on my computer) and is worse than in 2011 (the segment you want to edit must now be active - that was not required in 2011, which was much more convenient - a step back).

Other bugs in 2014 (on my computer at least): When I mark a large number of files in the explorer to create a project, Studio generates a project with 32 files only, no matter how many files I marked. I didn't notice that right away and had trouble with a customer due to a wrong quotation caused by this bug.

When I use the realtime preview, Studio behaves very strange. After confirming a segment the computer always switches from the Russian keyboard to the German keyboard an back before I can continue working. Always takes several seconds. Often the focus is lost, so I have to use the mouse to click into the segment I want to translate. Annoying. When I restart Studio and don't use the realtime preview anymore, this behaviour is gone (latest Office version installed).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Autopropagation of numbers and numbering convention

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »