564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:34
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Speedy response from SDL Oct 20, 2014

Problem solved after a one-hour online session with an SDL support worker.

Great to know that help is at hand, thanks Paul and Ilinca.

For others:
Please don't ask me what the solution was, but it seems that I now have both Java 6 v 26 and Java 8 v 25 running, with 'content enabled in browser' unticked.

Neil Rigiani
Neil Rigiani  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
Dutch to English
Does the solution also apply to 2009? Oct 22, 2014

I use Studio 2009. I tried the solution suggested by Paul but using 2009 instead of 2011 in the solution finder. I had to lie to get the form to send (i.e. said it was a licencing issue). Am I likely to get a reply and if so, is there a solution to this for 2009?

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
English to Spanish
Very suspicious... Oct 22, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

I just ran a Java update (to Java 8 v 25), and now, the MultiTerm add/edit function is blocked. Again...

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Problem solved after a one-hour online session with an SDL support worker.

Great to know that help is at hand, thanks Paul and Ilinca.

For others:
Please don't ask me what the solution was, but it seems that I now have both Java 6 v 26 and Java 8 v 25 running, with 'content enabled in browser' unticked.

Are you saying that when you ended up with Java 8 v 25 installed through an update, SDL Studio 2011 stopped working, but now that you also have Java 6 v 26 installed, Studio is working fine again?

My bet would be that if you just had Java 6 installed, and no other version, your copy of SDL Studio 2011 would work just the same.

That is precisely the installation that I have (Studio 2011 & Java 6) on my Windows 8.1 machine, and Studio has been working in a more or less stable way for the most part.

After all, remember that many Studio users having those problems have simply resorted to uninstalling the latest version of Java they had and installing an older version to get Studio to work.

It would seem to me that the solution you got from SDL is kind of murky, and the actual version of Java that is supporting Studio in your case is Java 6.

By the way, my preventive measure when I first installed Studio 2011 was disabling automatic updates on both Java and Studio, which, of course, implies risks from having an old (very old!) Java versión, but at least Studio is working.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I now have both Java 6 v 26 and 8 v 25, and it works Oct 23, 2014

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Are you saying that when you ended up with Java 8 v 25 installed through an update, SDL Studio 2011 stopped working, but now that you also have Java 6 v 26 installed, Studio is working fine again?

Yes, basically.

My bet would also be that MultiTerm is dipping into Java 6 v 26, but that other applications that need Java dip into Java 8 v 25, if that is possible. I tried my best to follow what Ilinca, the supporter, did while she worked on my computer in a remote session, and as far as I could see, all she did was to uninstall the Studio Widget (which I don't even know what is), which made no difference, uninstalled all Java versions, allowed MultiTerm to install Java 6 v 26 when prompted by MultiTerm, and then ran the latest update from Java, i.e. Java 8 v 25. Which is more or less what I had already done myself (except for the Widget thing). The problem persisted, until she unclicked the 'Enable Java content in the browser' under Security, and then MultiTerm worked fine again, and, for now, at least, other Java-dependent applications appear to be working as well.

If Ilinca from SDL did any other tweaking, I must have overlooked that.

Philip Rodriguez
Philip Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Thank you! Nov 3, 2014

Thanks for the hotfix! The re-sign file finally solved the problem (and the clean-up file fixed other Java-related issues my computer has had). I can't wait for SP2. It has been extremely frustrating to have MultiTerm not work every time a Java update was released and to have to spend an hour or so uninstalling and reinstalling everything in the hope that this would do the trick.

[Edited at 2014-11-03 08:56 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm add/edit not working after installation of Java 8 v 25

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »