Thread poster: 564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:10
Danish to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2014

I just ran a Java update (to Java 8 v 25), and now, the MultiTerm add/edit function is blocked. Again...

I get a message saying: Application Blocked by Java Security.

I'm no genious at changing settings, can anybody help me, please?

If it is of any relevance: I have Studio 2011, MultiTerm 2011, Windows 7, Firefox

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Java cleanup tool Oct 15, 2014

OOOppsss... guess I should have checked SDL's KB first: Just found this very useful link to an SDL Java cleanup tool:

http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4956#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4956

... Just in case somebody else runs into the same problem ...
<
... See more
OOOppsss... guess I should have checked SDL's KB first: Just found this very useful link to an SDL Java cleanup tool:

http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4956#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4956

... Just in case somebody else runs into the same problem ...

And yippiii... MultiTerm is now working again, and - fingers crossed - other Java-dependent features seem to be OK, too.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:10
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Download doesn't work Oct 17, 2014

I am having this problem today. Apparently, Java considers MultiTerm to be an "Untrusted Application". But downloading the SDLJavaCleanup.exe file doesn't work - despite following the KB instructions exactly it says "Login or password incorrect!". So, more time wasted.

Strangely, none of the other programs I have that use Java have any problem.

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did you use 'hotfix' as the password, John? Oct 17, 2014

MultiTerm actually works even better on my computer after I ran the Cleanup Tool, as it has stopped asking me to confirm that I want to run the application every time I want to add or edit a term.

But I agree: I have never had any Java problems with any other application either... very strange and unique SDL issue, it seems...

P.S. I'm no expert at all, but maybe your security setting is too high for this issue to be fixed?

[Edited at 2014-10-17 21:22 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:10
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Reverting to Java 7 Oct 18, 2014

Yes, I used the 'hotfix' password. But the new Java 8 version 25 only has High and Very High security settings.

A new Studio update says it's supposed to solve the problem, but it still seems to be there. I temporarily fixed the problem by uninstalling Java 8 and reinstalling Java 7 - the installers are on the Java website. Obviously that leaves the security vulnerabilities still there that Java 8 is supposed to fix.

Likewise I have several other applications that r
... See more
Yes, I used the 'hotfix' password. But the new Java 8 version 25 only has High and Very High security settings.

A new Studio update says it's supposed to solve the problem, but it still seems to be there. I temporarily fixed the problem by uninstalling Java 8 and reinstalling Java 7 - the installers are on the Java website. Obviously that leaves the security vulnerabilities still there that Java 8 is supposed to fix.

Likewise I have several other applications that run on Java, none of which present this problem. So there's definitely some shortcoming in SDL's coding.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hotfix reverts to Java 6 v 26!!!! NOT A SOLUTION Oct 19, 2014

I started having trouble with other Java applications after I wrote yesterday, and checking just now, I can see that what the hotfix did was to REMOVE Java 8 v 25 and install Java 6 v 26!!!

I apologise, I should have doublechecked before posting my joyful result here.

BACK TO SDL:

Have you got a hotfix that can make MultiTerm work correctly with Java 8 v 25 withouth screwing up other appliations' use of Java, please?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I would do the following... Oct 19, 2014

... first run the tool and make sure you have the latest version of Java afterwards. Then go and make sure you do not have any other versions of Java installed at all. Also make sure you use the 32-bit version and not the 64-bit version.

In terms of fixes for this problem. Studio 2014 SP2, due next month, does not require Java at all. The reliance on Java has been completely removed from Studio and from MultiTerm so these Java related problems will be a thing of the past.
... See more
... first run the tool and make sure you have the latest version of Java afterwards. Then go and make sure you do not have any other versions of Java installed at all. Also make sure you use the 32-bit version and not the 64-bit version.

In terms of fixes for this problem. Studio 2014 SP2, due next month, does not require Java at all. The reliance on Java has been completely removed from Studio and from MultiTerm so these Java related problems will be a thing of the past.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Yay! Oct 19, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Regards

Paul

Looking forward to it, Paul.

Does this mean you can now do something about termbase selection when adding terms on the fly?

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hooooray! Oct 19, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

This is wonderful news, Paul! Many thanks for it!

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great for those who have Studio 2014... Oct 19, 2014

In the meantime, I just hope that I can get back to using MultiTerm 2011 with Studio 2011...

A bit annoying if I am forced to upgrade to Studio 2014 (which I see no other need for) just to continue to be able to use a product I have already paid for (Studio 2011 with MultiTerm 2011)...

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:10
English to Spanish
What about the thousands who use Studio 2011? Oct 19, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Great for those who have Studio 2014...

In the meantime, I just hope that I can get back to using MultiTerm 2011 with Studio 2011...

A bit annoying if I am forced to upgrade to Studio 2014 (which I see no other need for) just to continue to be able to use a product I have already paid for (Studio 2011 with MultiTerm 2011)...

There are many users in the exact same situation. Not correcting this problem in Studio 2011 is unethical of SDL, as a way of forcing us to upgrade, as Gitte points out.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Java in 2011... Oct 19, 2014

... will work with the appropriate settings. If you cannot resolve it yourself using the tools provided by support, or if you tried and still have a problem then please log a support case via the solution finder. The problem is resolvable and the support team can help you to sort this out.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

... See more
... will work with the appropriate settings. If you cannot resolve it yourself using the tools provided by support, or if you tried and still have a problem then please log a support case via the solution finder. The problem is resolvable and the support team can help you to sort this out.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here;

JAVA related issues with SDL MultiTerm
- I have SDL MultiTerm 2011/2014
-- I can no longer add or edit terms, or I get an error message when adding or editing terms
--- I have read the article and followed the instructions but I still have a problem

Pick the correct route as above and you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

Also use the Chrome browser to log the case if you have it; you'll get more success in completing the form; and make sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Possibly... Oct 19, 2014

Giles Watson wrote:
Does this mean you can now do something about termbase selection when adding terms on the fly?

.. but I don't believe in this initial release. Removing Java from Studio and MultiTerm was not a trivial exercise and whilst there are some immediate benefits that you will see once the release is published, other than the removal of Java itself, this just a start.

Regards

Paul

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Thanks, Paul Oct 19, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Giles Watson wrote:

.. but I don't believe in this initial release. Removing Java from Studio and MultiTerm was not a trivial exercise and whilst there are some immediate benefits that you will see once the release is published, other than the removal of Java itself, this just a start.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Paul.

I tend to organise my work by customer projects and often use several termbases for specific jobs. It would be nice to be able to add terms to one of them without having to change the default. I hope this turns out to be a straightforward piece of programming once you have "decaffeinated" MultiTerm

564354352 (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support request submitted Oct 20, 2014

Thanks, Paul

The suggested solution did not work, as once again, I got the message that adding terms was blocked by Java Security.

I have now submitted a support request, as suggested.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm add/edit not working after installation of Java 8 v 25

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »