MultiTerm 2014 export to .rtf (Word dictionary) - problem with umlauts at the start of words.
Thread poster: Michael Bailey
Michael Bailey
Michael Bailey  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:08
German to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2014

I have been doing an export of a 2,000 term termbase in MultiTerm 2014 and have noticed that there seems to be a difficulty with the way that initial letters are handled. For example in a German > English glossary, I have lots of entries starting with U (and u) and Ü (and ü). Is there a work-round (other than manually!) to ensure that it doesn't add a new initial capital when sorted alphabetically every time it changes from a work starting with Ü to one with U (or from U ... See more
I have been doing an export of a 2,000 term termbase in MultiTerm 2014 and have noticed that there seems to be a difficulty with the way that initial letters are handled. For example in a German > English glossary, I have lots of entries starting with U (and u) and Ü (and ü). Is there a work-round (other than manually!) to ensure that it doesn't add a new initial capital when sorted alphabetically every time it changes from a work starting with Ü to one with U (or from U to u, or Ü to ü) and vice versa? Any help greatly appreciated.Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe... Oct 19, 2014

... a workaround (because I see your problem!) would be this.

- export to excel using the Glossary Converter.
- sort them alphabetically on the language you like
- recreate the termbase with the glossary converter again
- export based on entry number instead of language
- manually add in the titles for each letter

This is clearly a bug which has been logged, but perhaps this workaround won't be too difficult as you'll only have to intervene a ma
... See more
... a workaround (because I see your problem!) would be this.

- export to excel using the Glossary Converter.
- sort them alphabetically on the language you like
- recreate the termbase with the glossary converter again
- export based on entry number instead of language
- manually add in the titles for each letter

This is clearly a bug which has been logged, but perhaps this workaround won't be too difficult as you'll only have to intervene a maximum of 26 times and the Glossary Converter makes short work of the conversion process. Not ideal I know.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Michael Bailey
Austria
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 23, 2014

Thanks for the reply - seems to be the most sensible solution for the time being in terms of what I need it to do! Am sure I can probably put together a little macro that will handle it for me if I am having to do it regularly (IT restrictions permitting!).

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
One little problem... Oct 23, 2014

... that I came across is that Excel won't sort them correctly either!!!

So you need to add a column in Excel, convert the column you wish to sort on using Hex values through a User Defined Function and then sort the UDF values instead. This time it's sorted.

I never thought for a minute this would be so complicated!! If you're interested there is a thread that I starte
... See more
... that I came across is that Excel won't sort them correctly either!!!

So you need to add a column in Excel, convert the column you wish to sort on using Hex values through a User Defined Function and then sort the UDF values instead. This time it's sorted.

I never thought for a minute this would be so complicated!! If you're interested there is a thread that I started here in the excelforum... which is a fantastic resource for help with complicated excel stuff.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Michael Bailey
Austria
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Dec 16, 2014

just saw this reply - thanks for the follow-up. I'm currently trying to refine my RTF output in other ways - it is somewhat slow progress (as I have various other tasks on my desk that are higher priority!).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2014 export to .rtf (Word dictionary) - problem with umlauts at the start of words.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »