Defining an expression for untranslatable string substitution (SDL Trados Studio 2007)
Thread poster: fras0120
fras0120
fras0120
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 17, 2014

Hello,

On the area I work we usually have to translate documents containing untranslatable strings like P1138 or any [A-Z][0-9]*[A-Z0-9] expression. When usng thefuzzy translation tool, these codes are not marked as untranslatabes that can be substituted. I do not want to add by hand more than 100000 different codes.

Is there ay possible way to add a regex or some similar script to the substitutions tab?

Thanks.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:35
English
Two bits of information would be helpful here Oct 17, 2014

Hi,

What version of the software are you using, Studio or Trados? Reason I ask is because we have Trados 2007 and earlier, and we have Studio 2009 and later. We don't have Trados Studio 2007.

What kind of files are you handling? Reason I ask is because if this is XML it would be simple to create a rule for this in the filetype. If it's a Word document then I guess you could use a regex in Word to hide these patterns which would exclude then where they were the only
... See more
Hi,

What version of the software are you using, Studio or Trados? Reason I ask is because we have Trados 2007 and earlier, and we have Studio 2009 and later. We don't have Trados Studio 2007.

What kind of files are you handling? Reason I ask is because if this is XML it would be simple to create a rule for this in the filetype. If it's a Word document then I guess you could use a regex in Word to hide these patterns which would exclude then where they were the only text in a segment, or convert them to protected inline tags elsewhere which would be simple to place.

A final note would be that if the software you have is Studio then you can resolve this problem for any filetype using the Terminjector from the OpenExchange.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

fras0120
fras0120
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Oct 18, 2014

Hi, thanks for the answer.

My bad, I just meant trados 2007 and I am working on XML files.

Could you please tell me how to make this rule?

Thanks a lot.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Bad news, as far as I know. Oct 18, 2014

Hi,

To be honest I wasn't expecting you to be three major versions back, and in Trados 2007 you cannot do this as far as I know.

Studio uses XPATH and my initial thought was to use XPATH for this. However, after trying this for fun I now realise that whilst I can select specific text within a translatable string easily enough Studio uses XPATH 1.0 and you need XPATH 2.0 for regular expression support. So using regex won't be possible here either. My bad this time!!... See more
Hi,

To be honest I wasn't expecting you to be three major versions back, and in Trados 2007 you cannot do this as far as I know.

Studio uses XPATH and my initial thought was to use XPATH for this. However, after trying this for fun I now realise that whilst I can select specific text within a translatable string easily enough Studio uses XPATH 1.0 and you need XPATH 2.0 for regular expression support. So using regex won't be possible here either. My bad this time!!

So the only solution I can offer is using the Terminjector but you need to have Studio 2014 for this. This plugin to Studio will allow you to set regex patterns that will automatically ensure the pattern you want is recognised and automatically placed into the target TM result.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:35
English to Turkish
+ ...
blame SDL's marketing policy :) Oct 18, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

It is called SDL Trados Studio 2014 but not SDL Studio 2014. Why? Something for marketing I guess which always results in confusion. Clients ask for Trados and every time I ask, what really you want?? Trados (Word or TagEditor) or Studio (and which version, 2009, 2011 or 2014)?

At the end I say no to all

Selcuk

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why ask at all then ;-) Oct 18, 2014

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Clients ask for Trados and every time I ask, what really you want?? Trados (Word or TagEditor) or Studio (and which version, 2009, 2011 or 2014)?

At the end I say no to all

But between you, me and the gatepost I'd remove "Trados" from the name too! SDL Studio removes all doubt.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Defining an expression for untranslatable string substitution (SDL Trados Studio 2007)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »